Worst single play

So many...Fumblin' Foster losing it out the endzone to lose the game to South Carolina. Missed FG at UCLA. JG fumble agaimst Bama. 2 blocked FGs against Bama in 2009 (we had them that game, and Kiffin would probably still be our coach if we took it down). Picked of in the SECCG by LSU to miss out on the NC game though. That was the most consequential.

Reactions: HalfullVol
A penalty against NC during a FG that cost us the game!

Clausen was driving around the 1 yard line near half time and a fumble was taken back for a TD by the bulldogs.

2nd consecutive pick 6 in KY game.

JG pick 6 at Auburn 1 yard line

Reactions: Rockytoptalker
That's right that was last year's game when the pick 6 happened.

No, that was a scoop and score off of Gray's fumble.

UT had a pick six in 2017 and '18 and Bama had one in 2016, but I don't think there have been any others recently.

Last edited:
No, that was a scoop and score off of Gray's fumble.

UT had a pick six in 2017 and '18 and Bama had one in 2016, but I don't think there have been any others recently.

I think we almost had a pick 6 in '19 with Warrior

Not a heart crushing play but one that just makes you embarrassed was that funky Nathan Peterson play against UF. Do you guys remember that? I think it was a fumble and he broke his hand or something

It’s hard to pick a recent game when we have been terrible when it feel that there were multiple single plays from 90 to 06 with much higher stakes that either cost us a sec title or a chance to play for a national championship.
1990-blocked fg against bama, game ending int in the end zone against the Irish, running out of bounds to tie eventual champs Colorado, any play on auburns final drive to let them tie the game.
1991- want to say there was a play at the end of the bama game where after we recovered an onside kick we had a chance to win but may be misremembering.
1992-any play in the final minutes against arkansas, 2 point conversion attempt against South Carolina.
1993- 1-2 plays in the Florida game and the outcome is different, the 2 point conversion to let bama tie the game.
1995-Wright hit on kent seemed to change the momentum in that game though probably wouldn’t have mattered given our defense let them score on their last 7 possessions.
1996- we throw one less int in the first half that is returned for a score and we may be able to come back against Florida. Also think the early 4th and long touchdown on the first series changed that entire game. The Memphis kick return cost us an outside chance at a top bowl.
1999 - we decide to block brown on any of the plays he sacks tee, not letting arkansas convert a 4th down in the 4th quarter to come back and we play fsu for the national championship again.
2001-hobnail
2003-uga 99 yd fumble return before half. If we score I think we win the game and also the East.
2004- any of the holding calls that negated touchdowns against auburn in the championship
2006- stopping tebow on a 3rd or 4th down conversion in the 4th quarter and we beat Florida and win the East by way of tiebreaker.
This is depressing

To fill the off season, a little, what is your least favorite single play from the past three decades or so? Was it the shotgun play call by Butch on the goal-line against Fla or maybe JG’s goal-line fumble against Bama? Was it one of the sweep calls for Jamal Lewis against Nebraska or Fla?

There are others, I’m sure, so what is your least favorite? Mine has to be the punt return for Arkansas during the Dooley era.

What was the game where Ainge tried to throw it away out of our own end zone and instead threw a pick 6?

Gotta at least mention Cody’s block of what would have been the winning FG against Bama when Lane was here 😡

Maybe a bit outside the specific question but the play against Pacific where Chuck Webb got hurt. As much love as I have for Tony Thompson if he goes for over 1200y on that team Webb is making a run at the Heisman and however much that does to help our record for a team that finished #8.

Whether right or wrong, the overturned 4th and 1 stop against Vandy in 2013 hurt. I was there, and it was the win we needed to go bowling and end the drought. Thought we had it.

Rewatching that one has always bothered me under the indisputable video evidence standard because it is clear most oh his body crosses the line, but you can’t see where the ball is. While I’d agree the call on the field was probably wrong, I’m not sure it should have been overturned without ever seeing the ball.

It’s hard to pick a recent game when we have been terrible when it feel that there were multiple single plays from 90 to 06 with much higher stakes that either cost us a sec title or a chance to play for a national championship.
1990-blocked fg against bama, game ending int in the end zone against the Irish, running out of bounds to tie eventual champs Colorado, any play on auburns final drive to let them tie the game.
1991- want to say there was a play at the end of the bama game where after we recovered an onside kick we had a chance to win but may be misremembering.
1992-any play in the final minutes against arkansas, 2 point conversion attempt against South Carolina.
1993- 1-2 plays in the Florida game and the outcome is different, the 2 point conversion to let bama tie the game.
1995-Wright hit on kent seemed to change the momentum in that game though probably wouldn’t have mattered given our defense let them score on their last 7 possessions.
1996- we throw one less int in the first half that is returned for a score and we may be able to come back against Florida. Also think the early 4th and long touchdown on the first series changed that entire game. The Memphis kick return cost us an outside chance at a top bowl.
1999 - we decide to block brown on any of the plays he sacks tee, not letting arkansas convert a 4th down in the 4th quarter to come back and we play fsu for the national championship again.
2001-hobnail
2003-uga 99 yd fumble return before half. If we score I think we win the game and also the East.
2004- any of the holding calls that negated touchdowns against auburn in the championship
2006- stopping tebow on a 3rd or 4th down conversion in the 4th quarter and we beat Florida and win the East by way of tiebreaker.
This is depressing

stoerner.jpg

The worst play!
And glad it happened!

VN Store

Back