Worst College Football Coaching Hires of All Time

Chad Morris might have a case for worst coach in SEC history, but depends on how you define hire I guess. Even the hire wasn't very good to begin with since he maxed out at 7-5 at SMU.

Reactions: MAD
Yall that are saying Dooley over Pruitt are crazy.
That it took 25 posts to name that gump amazes me. I've seen a lot of crappy coaches, but that guy was all-time bad and a lousy human being to boot. I don't think there's a coach in our history that I dislike more than the gump.

One hire that hasn't been mentioned yet:

In 1987, LSU was loaded with good young talent thanks to the recruiting of Bill Arnsparger. Steve Spurrier was publicly lobbying for the LSU job after Arnsparger had stepped down. LSU's AD, Joe Dean (String Music!), hired Mike Archer instead.

Reactions: MAD and PEPPERJAX
Doug Dickey replacing Ray Graves makes that list.
That was a mutually destructive mistake.

Florida's mistake was forcing Graves out in the first place, at age 51, during one of the best seasons in program history. Dickey's mistake was leaving behind one of the youngest and most talented teams in the country, which he had built from scratch.

Reactions: tntar heel and MAD
That was a mutually destructive mistake.

Florida's mistake was forcing Graves out in the first place, at age 51, during one of the best seasons in program history. Dickey's mistake was leaving behind one of the youngest and most talented teams in the country, which he had built from scratch.

Quality post.

Dickey pissed off two fan bases at the same time. That’s really hard to do.

Ray Graves getting forced out was a travesty.

Reactions: tntar heel
Gary Anderson at Oregon St. Dude was so bad that he waived his remaining contract 😂

Greg Schiano? I think he was hired for 5 seconds, right?

Apologies if he has already been mentioned. Haven’t read all posts.

Gary Anderson at Oregon St. Dude was so bad that he waived his remaining contract 😂
Have to judge decisions based on what was known at the time. Andersen had a pretty good record to that point. And considering it was Oregon St I think you have to make that hire. Hard to have imagined he would have melted down like that

How about LSU chomping at the bit and couldn't contain themselves quickly enough to hire Gerry Dinardo away from Vandy to be their football HC? Yes kids, that really happened.

Reactions: knox73 and MAD
Bill Battle was one of the worst all time - especially when you could have hired Johnny Majors. That is not Bill's fault - Bob Woodruff who deserves credit for hiring Doug Dickey - went temporarily insane selecting Battle at age 28. More recent for the Vols - Kiffin worst, Dooley next, Pruitt and then Jones. Jones had a couple of nice seasons but could not sustain. Pruitt did what Fulmer asked and rebuilt the Vols with an SEC calibre roster. However the man was a jerk and his sloppy McDonald's bags are now legendary. Kiffin destroyed Fulmer's decent recruiting class then recruited thugs like Nu'Keese Richardson and left Dooley with a pile of crap except for a few good offensive linemen. Kiffin can never sustain a program - just not in him to commit to long term work and CEO responsibilities. He will bolt for the Miami job next and weasel them for about 36 months or so. He will then fall back down the food chain to FAU or something similar.

VN Store

Back