Worst call in the history of the game [forward progress]

Not a single official went rushing to the spot of the fumble to mark the play dead. They all ran with the scoop and score. Makes me think that someone phoned down and told them to make up some bs call.
I honestly believed they were faked out by the statue of Liberty type play and was embarrassed that they didn’t see what happened and made up a BS justification for it

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Yeah. I think maybe they thought there was due to Corral looking like he wasn’t participating in the play, but in reality I think that was part of the play fake. Anyway, the refs got confused, didn’t want to admit it, and made up an outcome that didn’t really give either team an advantage on the call.
Oh it gave them a huge advantage as it took 7 off the board. 7 that we earned on the truck play they were trying to run. Ridiculous.

Reactions: VolinWayne
I honestly believed they were faked out by the statue of Liberty type play and was embarrassed that they didn’t see what happened and made up a BS justification for it

That is where they broke away from “call what you see and see what you call”.

They didn’t see ****, but for some reason felt the need to say they did.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
We did the same thing with Spraggins

We did but Ole Miss did it over a dozen times. I was 18 rows behind their bench. They had a GA who would give the fall signal. It was blatant and coordinated. You could watch that GA when we were on offense to determine which plays would have "injuries"

Afterward - as I think happens more than you’d think - they just kind of huddled together and made something up.

I think afterwards they realized they made a mistake and knew they couldn’t reverse it so they just called it forward progress. IF there was a whistle, I can understand how the QB would stop. But there was no whistle because the D is coached to stop attacking the QB on the whistle. Three Vols ignored a whistle and risked roughing the passer penalty? No way. The QB and Kiffen lobbied the refs to get the call made in their favor. Screw job.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It's really a shame when the officials make a game changing bad call and it should be investigated and reviewed by the game time refs. I don't think Heupel will file a complaint, though. I don't think that's his style.

The refs saved Corral from looking like an idiot, he got special treatment. He froze like a deer in headlights when our two players were suddenly upon him. Was definitely a fumble and touchdown.

There was more garbage from the refs in this game than there was on the field. We gave away so many opportunities that we allowed ourselves to be put into the position where the refs could screw us. Is LeBron James the flopping coach for Ole Miss? Worse than I've ever seen.

Reactions: House of Neyland
When the refs claimed “forward progress” after Corral clearly fumbled while standing there like a dummy has to be the worst call I’ve seen since I’ve been watching college football and sadly it’s an afterthought given the melee that ensued at the end of the game.

JH needs to file a complaint with the league. It was just laughable. Thoughts?

Definitely one of the worst calls I've personally ever seen. I definitely missed the laughable part however. Been a while since I have gotten that angry. A call like that never happens against one of the current big boys in college football. It's gotten ridiculous how the SEC always looks after the tip teams in the league.

Playing good teams we have to have very few mistakes. Jones muffed punt hurt really bad. Then that call against us puts us in a tough situation. Its one thing us hurting ourself but having that bad of a call is another obstacle

Heupel needs to address the “injuries” that Ole Miss players magically healed from.

This made me angry as well and this issue needs to be addressed ASAP. Maybe something like making them sit out a series or two if play needs to be stopped in order for them to get off the field. I mean seriously, if they are hurt bad enough that they can't immediately get up and run off the field then they need to be sitting out a few plays anyway.

When the refs claimed “forward progress” after Corral clearly fumbled while standing there like a dummy has to be the worst call I’ve seen since I’ve been watching college football and sadly it’s an afterthought given the melee that ensued at the end of the game.

Phantom catch v Florida

That’s one of those calls that the conference office issues a mea culpa on Tuesday late in the afternoon after the news cycle. That was galactically bad.

The little 5 ft ref who was whispering and giggling in the ole miss player's ear made the call. He was also the ball spotter.

I never heard a whistle. They let the pile push for 10 secs every time, but that time his progress was stopped with no one within 2 yards of him. I say BS

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The worst part of it all is the refs ran down the field. Obviously they did not call forward progress. There was also no whistle.

I was confused. I got up to take a leak came back and saw Young (I think) running into the end zone with the refs not far behind. I didn’t see a flag and thought YES! Then all of a sudden it was overturned. I asked my buddy what happened? Was the play whistled dead? He said no whistle was blown. That was an egregious call.

If Corral’s forward progress had been stopped, as the refs declared, how could they also rule it a fumble?

The more I’ve thought about it, one can’t be true with the other. What am I missing?

Reactions: knoxchief

VN Store

Back