Worst call in the history of the game [forward progress]

The Original Fade

When the refs claimed “forward progress” after Corral clearly fumbled while standing there like a dummy has to be the worst call I’ve seen since I’ve been watching college football and sadly it’s an afterthought given the melee that ensued at the end of the game.

JH needs to file a complaint with the league. It was just laughable. Thoughts?

When the refs claimed “forward progress” after Corral clearly fumbled while standing there like a dummy has to be the worst call I’ve seen since I’ve been watching college football and sadly it’s an afterthought given the melee that ensued at the end of the game.

I've never seen anything like it.

It was atrocious. I was in section T and at first most of us thought he handed the ball off because he looked so nonchalant about it. Then we saw the ball pop out and multiple officials, including Curles, standing right there and letting the play go. If you deem his progress stopped, then you have to blow the damn whistle. How Marc Curles is still allowed to officiate games after his decade plus of major ****ups is beyond me.

I agree.

Seen lots of bad calls over the years, but I've never been as angry as I was watching that one. Wasn't even a judgement call like the mis-spot. As annoyed as I am by the fact that we keep getting bad spots all year, we know this happens to all teams and the calls are almost never reversed.

The weird "forward progress" call was a case of the refs un-doing actions on the field, with some completely arbitrary decision that made no sense. No one could watch that on replay and deem that "forward progress" had been called. It was less than 1 second before they knocked the ball out of his hands. There was no whistle. Worst call I've ever seen.

Looked to me like Ole Miss was running a trick play and maybe the refs were suckered and were watching the RB instead of QB. Afterward - as I think happens more than you’d think - they just kind of huddled together and made something up.
If that was the case where was the whistle? There was no whistle!

If that was the case where was the whistle? There was no whistle!
It wouldn’t shock me if they blew a whistle we couldn’t hear when the RB was stopped. That would be a bad mistake, but I could make sense of that error. Their explanation made no sense at all.

It wouldn’t shock me if they blew a whistle we couldn’t hear when the RB was stopped. That would be a bad mistake, but I could make sense of that error. Their explanation made no sense at all.
There wasn't one audible on TV, which has the sound adjusted. And they didn't say the whistle blew in the "explanation", just that his forward progress stopped. It was an absolute clownshow.

There wasn't one audible on TV, which has the sound adjusted. And they didn't say the whistle blew in the "explanation", just that his forward progress stopped. It was an absolute clownshow.
Yeah. I think maybe they thought there was due to Corral looking like he wasn’t participating in the play, but in reality I think that was part of the play fake. Anyway, the refs got confused, didn’t want to admit it, and made up an outcome that didn’t really give either team an advantage on the call.

If you want to truly see the worst…if you recorded it or have a chance to record it and watch the replay, watch the top of the screen on the 4th and 27. I know it got reviewed, but there was nothing conclusive to over turn the call on the field.

The ref that made the spot didn’t even get to his spot until Jacob Warren was already standing and walking back towards the rest of the offensive players. When I saw that in real time, I was furious🤬

It wasn't the worse call made by Marc Curles. The 2009 Ark-UF game was worse and the 2021 MSU-Memphis call was worse. This may not even make his top 3 worse calls.

It was atrocious. I was in section T and at first most of us thought he handed the ball off because he looked so nonchalant about it. Then we saw the ball pop out and multiple officials, including Curles, standing right there and letting the play go. If you deem his progress stopped, then you have to blow the damn whistle. How Marc Curles is still allowed to officiate games after his decade plus of major ****ups is beyond me.

Well, Marc Curles is a Birmingham resident and has a job for life by protecting the 1 vs 2 undefeated matchup in 2009 by screwing over Arkansas (google 2009 UF-Arkansas).

Curles is a "company man" that knows "what's good for business"

If you want to truly see the worst…if you recorded it or have a chance to record it and watch the replay, watch the top of the screen on the 4th and 27. I know it got reviewed, but there was nothing conclusive to over turn the call on the field.

The ref that made the spot didn’t even get to his spot until Jacob Warren was already standing and walking back towards the rest of the offensive players. When I saw that in real time, I was furious🤬
DD2A3731-B450-4684-914C-EF45FF30E710.jpegI do think he was short but truly remarkable this guy was “spotting” it.

Exactly! If progress was stopped in this situation, why wasn't progress stopped on the safety? It clearly wasn't since the final ruling was intentional grounding. They blew the scoop and score call.

Heupel needs to address the “injuries” that Ole Miss players magically healed from.
This i do agree with. I mean 3 plays in a row. Come on, no way 3 players got hurt that much. But if you want to blame certain things on getting beat by Ole Miss. What about the first drive of the game. Tennessee stops Ole Miss then Tennessee fumbles the punt. Ole Miss recovers it then after a couple plays they score a touchdown.

Especially since throughout the game, we temporarily stopped Corral’s “forward progress” just to see him break free for another 15 yards. Until the whistle blows, the ball is live.

VN Store

Back