Worried that Hooker is like Dobbs.

jason3713

We won games because of Dobbs getting out of situations where anyone else would have been sacked. You see the same thing with Hooker.

Just hoping we don’t have a fall off if we have to go to a QB that isn’t as dynamic of a runner.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
We won games because of Dobbs getting out of situations where anyone else would have been sacked. You see the same thing with Hooker.

Just hoping we don’t have a fall off if we have to go to a QB that isn’t as dynamic of a runner.

Milton can run, he just doesn't necessarily want to at times. He also has a better arm than Hooker and he will be in the system for a third year come next season, so we get to see his progress when he starts the opener. I don't think there is going to be a huge drop-off between him and Hooker.

Milton can run he just needs to be encouraged to do so when things break down.

Jackson has a long long way to go but has the same skill set

Nico can be the best of the bunch.

Milton can run. He can also throw the ball over that mountain over there

Just mentioned that in another post. He's making this offense what it is. Nico, Milton, TJ...all are unknowns, but suffice it to say, none are presently at Hooker's level. Won't be surprised to see us take a step or two back next season...at least in the early part of it.

Dobb’s successor was a poison pill for Tennessee and we didn’t have a coaching staff with the sense to bench him. Basically JG helped take down two coaching staffs.

I’m not worried that Hooker’s successor won’t be as dynamic as he is - I’m just enjoying his time here and have faith that this staff can actually attract and develop QBs.

Milton can run. He can also throw the ball over that mountain over there
Hooker is the better runner, but he's got to stop taking shots and learn to get down. Having a cannon for an arm is impressive to watch, but throwing it to the right person when you're supposed to is far more important. In that regard, I'm not sure any of our options can be Hookers equal at least early on next year. Hope this really is a qb friendly system and we can just plug someone in and go, but that wasn't the case for Milton last year when he started. Gonna cherish every game with Hooker running the show.

Hooker is the better runner, but he's got to stop taking shots and learn to get down. Having a cannon for an arm is impressive to watch, but throwing it to the right person when you're supposed to is far more important. In that regard, I'm not sure any of our options can be Hookers equal at least early on next year. Hope this really is a qb friendly system and we can just plug someone in and go, but that wasn't the case for Milton last year when he started. Gonna cherish every game with Hooker running the show.
Milton looked really good earlier in the season

Milton has looked better in his appearances this season. I think he'll be fine.

Reactions: beamerman
Here's how bad we have it at QB.

After Hendon, a legit Heisman contender, we have Joe Milton. Who--if he has really fixed his nerves problem as it seems he might have--could be a legit Heisman contender in 2023. And after those two, we have either Tayven Jackson or Nico Iamaleava. Both of whom might one day be Heisman contenders.

I don't think your worry is much of a concern. I think we're good.

Go Vols!

Seems the time on the bench has helped Milton get the psychological clarity he needed to start playing up to his potential. I think he will be a great QB and mentor to the younger QBs next year.

Milton same QB except he had no passing game which now seems to be something he has developed. I will feel quite comfortable with him taking over next season and Jackson looked very good in his short stint as well. QB seems to be the least of our problems going forward. Defense is where the work needs to be done.

Difference to me is Dobbs always propped butch up and made him look better than he was. Heupel got a guy in hooker that was not wanted anymore at Virginia Tech and turned him into what he is.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Difference to me is Dobbs always propped butch up and made him look better than he was. Heupel got a guy in hooker that was not wanted anymore at Virginia Tech and turned him into what he is.
I agree with you, Dobbs made bUTch look better. Hype has made Hendo actually be better.

Reactions: beamerman
Milton looked really good earlier in the season
Game wasn't in doubt and the opponent wasn't SEC caliber. I really hope he's able to seamlessly slide into the starting job. Pulling for the kid. He's a great teammate according to those who know him. There's a reason Hooker is the unchallenged starter for this team. His shoes will be enormous for someone trying to fill them.

The QB room is fine as it stands right now. There may no be that big a gap between Hooker and Milton...they may be just different. Then there's Jackson and Nico. Not many teams can boast having that level of quality of depth at the key position.

Dobbs just showed us how it's been the reverse for so many years. There wasn't anyone close to him before or after, until these past two years.

VN Store

Back