Workers are applying for jobs left and right, but hearing nothing back

My dad used to say it was his job to get the right people in the right position and then get out of their way. Also said nothing is more valuable than your skilled and experienced frontline employees. A lot of these dime a dozen MBA’s coming out don’t have the slightest clue what an asset their people are.
In the military, the best thing a young butter bar can do is go to the Chief and ask him how to run the shop... then get the hell out of the way.

Respect is earned. It is not given. It is not owed to anyone that acts like an idiot. It is definitely not owed to anyone that bullies another. And I have news for them. Everyone is replaceable. None of us are necessary.

Change my mind.

No human deserves to be treated like trash on day one of their job. Or day two. Etc.

Respect can look like many different things. But being a dick is never acceptable.

Reactions: walkenvol and AM64
Unless they join the military.

I would actually go as far as to say they're still being treated with respect. It's a comprehensive, research driven methodology to prepare the recruits for what they're about to go through.

I have a special place in my heart for the military. Especially the Marines. I wish my body had not been so broken so early so I could have stood on the yellow footprints.

No human deserves to be treated like trash on day one of their job. Or day two. Etc.

Respect can look like many different things. But being a dick is never acceptable.
I’m going to guess we’re mixing terms here. Deference is probably more applicable and respect is commonly misused in situations like we are talking about.

A new hire shouldn’t be treated disrespectfully that will just harm their development. However if they stupidly think they deserve any amount of deference over more senior and experienced people then they are acting like entitled idiots.

Yes Virginia there are indeed stupid questions. You just need to try and get the individual asking them to see they are stupid questions without humiliating them is all.

I’m going to guess we’re mixing terms here. Deference is probably more applicable and respect is commonly misused in situations like we are talking about.

A new hire shouldn’t be treated disrespectfully that will just harm their development. However if they stupidly think they deserve any amount of deference over more senior and experienced people then they are acting like entitled idiots.

Yes Virginia there are indeed stupid questions. You just need to try and get the individual asking them to see they are stupid questions without humiliating them is all.

Ok, we're definitely on the same page.

I would actually go as far as to say they're still being treated with respect. It's a comprehensive, research driven methodology to prepare the recruits for what they're about to go through.

I have a special place in my heart for the military. Especially the Marines. I wish my body had not been so broken so early so I could have stood on the yellow footprints.

You like a man in a snazzy uniform eh?

Reactions: AM64
Ok, we're definitely on the same page.
I would encourage you to speak with your charges and make sure they understand the difference in deference and respect.

These terms get misused all the time where I work because it’s a hot button corporate virtue signaling talking point.

I can realize a kid is ignorant in a situation (not a pejorative here just a fact) and needs to be kept on a tight leash. But that isn’t being disrespectful that’s just supervising. The young engineer can confuse the two at times thinking they are being disrespected and not listened to. No I heard you, what you said was stupid and not useful im just not going to humiliate you and point that out and see if I can guide you onto the right path.

Get rid of the leftist safety nets. Hunger cures a lot of unemployment issues.

Also, what is the value of an executive corps that nobody wants to work for? Job satisfaction, reward for a job well done, and pride in craftsmanship are apparently things of the past. As a retired engineer, I can say I loved the work and detested the working environment. The issue is management style - not perks to make up for shortcomings. I can't even figure out what sparks work ethic in the newer generations; it's like education has bred any individualism and spirit to achieve out.

Sounding seriously angry.

We hire 2-3 post grads every year. No problem with their work ethic and their work requires independent analytic thought. My problem is keeping up with them techwise.

I would encourage you to speak with your charges and make sure they understand the difference in deference and respect.

These terms get misused all the time where I work because it’s a hot button corporate virtue signaling talking point.

I can realize a kid is ignorant in a situation (not a pejorative here just a fact) and needs to be kept on a tight leash. But that isn’t being disrespectful that’s just supervising. The young engineer can confuse the two at times thinking they are being disrespected and not listened to. No I heard you, what you said was stupid and not useful im just not going to humiliate you and point that out and see if I can guide you onto the right path.
It amazes me how many young engineers think they know it all and don’t realize how a bad decision can kill people.

It amazes me how many young engineers think they know it all and don’t realize how a bad decision can kill people.
And also how the unaware they are that their small picture view of the problem may not match the large picture of the problem. Just because you have an answer does not mean you have THE answer.

Here is the problem with the whole "respect" mentality in a lot of today's students. It isn't about whether they are or are not being treated with actual respect. It is their perception of respect that is the issue. Getting on to them or correcting inappropriate behavior in a lot of their minds is being "disrespectful" and they "have to" defend themselves. It isn't respect they seek. It is being coddled and given 300 chances to make mistakes because that is what they have been taught in the public school system. They think since they can retake assessments and not be punished for lack of attendance that it translates to their job as well.

I agree, but just because you convert O2 to CO2 doesn't mean anyone owes you anything.

Reactions: AM64 and AshG
A customers spouse is the director of a health care facility. Looking for LPNs, interviewed 13, offered the job to 10, only one accepted, and she ghosted them…didn’t show up….customer thinks they show up for interview so they meet the states (TN) requirement for unemployment…,they’ve gotten used to living on unemployment and are lazy

A customers spouse is the director of a health care facility. Looking for LPNs, interviewed 13, offered the job to 10, only one accepted, and she ghosted them…didn’t show up….customer thinks they show up for interview so they meet the states (TN) requirement for unemployment…,they’ve gotten used to living on unemployment and are lazy

Or they're playing the system while waiting for their 'dream job'.

Not everything is about being lazy and entitled. Sometimes it's about abusing the system until you get the job you want.

Reactions: Wireless1
Or maybe the offer was crap if they got turned down 10 times.

Reactions: WBO and Wireless1
Or maybe the offer was crap if they got turned down 10 times.

Then the law of supply and demand should force the potential employer to make better offers; however a network of government benefits often distorts the process. For example, someone can simply use the application/rejection process as a means to keep receiving the very benefits that compete against offered employment. Our real problem is long term, hard core lack of participation in the labor force by those not too young or elderly, and government programs have a lot to do with it.

Reactions: NorthDallas40

VN Store

Back