Workers are applying for jobs left and right, but hearing nothing back

Why everybody’s hiring but nobody’s getting hired

Sure there are jobs a plenty open all over the place, but many of the people applying for them are either hearing nothing back or are being offered much less than the job listings promised.
Did you read the whole article? You know, did you get to the bottom part where people are applying for jobs where they clearly have no experience or skills to match up? There’s a plethora of reasons listed more than your one sided hot take.

Sure there are jobs a plenty open all over the place, but many of the people applying for them are either hearing nothing back or are being offered much less than the job listings promised.

All true but if you read on into the article you'll find numerous reasons why this is happening.

I think the blurb about automated resume screening is very interesting, I don't know why companies would ever go to that type of practice other than screening for hard qualifications.

The other thing to consider is why would someone hire you if you have spent the better part of year being a free loading POS? Now you want to work bc the bennies are out. Nah. You aren't likely to stick around in the hard times. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone but it applies to many.

All true but if you read on into the article you'll find numerous reasons why this is happening.

I think the blurb about automated resume screening is very interesting, I don't know why companies would ever go to that type of practice other than screening for hard qualifications.

I believe this has been in practice for awhile.

Always read the job postings looking for keywords to add to your resume.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

And for that reason people have started putting BS buzzwords into an objective. I hate objectives on resumes. Your objective is to get a damn job. When I see a resume full of those buzzwords that I can tell was just made to get by those automated systems it’s hard not to be immediately turned off. I try to look past that though and realize it’s just someone doing the best they can to get a job. It doesn’t totally kick someone out but it bugs me so another couple things that bug me and it’s on to the next one. If your resume is good enough you shouldn’t need to use that crap.

And which generation gave them the participation trophies and fostered entitlement? Lay the blame there.
Sadly, that’s exactly right. We want to blame the kids coming up (kid being anyone under 30) but they’re only acting how they were raised to act. What I believe has happened is more and more households became 2 income households. Then you have the tech boom so people spend more time on technology than they do with their kids and, to compound the problem, give the kids access to the same tech. There are several other factors of course as it’s a complex issue but these are at the top or near the top in my opinion.

Reactions: DuckInAPen and AshG
If I was still in the work force I would apply for the highest paying positions posted.
Even though I would probably not be qualified, hell why not they need people. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AshG
We have an opening that everybody knows the perfect candidate. Company has come up with a caca excuse to exclude this candidate while the search firm, can't seem to find any interested, qualified people to interview. We're beginning to think the first qualifications deal with gender and race..

I know people looking for restaurant work. Most owners I know are short staffed, but they still aren't pushing to hire. I hear people complaining that they respond to an ad for a line cook that lists starting pay at 16/hr and they interview (plenty of experience) and then the owner offers them a job at 12/hr and promises a raise "if everything works out."

I am also suing an owner of a bar who is constantly complaining on social media about not being able to find help, but he charges his bartenders a "cleaning fee" of $20 per shift (there is no cleaning company), he charges the bartenders 5% of their charge tips to cover credit card service fees (a cost most bars simply eat and he's overcharging at that), he pays his bartenders for 8 hour shifts when the shifts average from 10-12 hours and now I have proof that he is stealing 100-120 per shift from the charge tips earned by the bartenders. And he is garnering sympathy on Facebook when complaining about the lazy people that don't want to work.

This owner has people that will put up with it for awhile because the bartenders are making solid money. $600 per shift give or take.

Last edited:

Either being cheap or lazy.

Sadly, that’s exactly right. We want to blame the kids coming up (kid being anyone under 30) but they’re only acting how they were raised to act. What I believe has happened is more and more households became 2 income households. Then you have the tech boom so people spend more time on technology than they do with their kids and, to compound the problem, give the kids access to the same tech. There are several other factors of course as it’s a complex issue but these are at the top or near the top in my opinion.
The feminists made being a wife and mother out to be equal to slavery and the schools began to push kids away from the trades.

Did you read the whole article? You know, did you get to the bottom part where people are applying for jobs where they clearly have no experience or skills to match up? There’s a plethora of reasons listed more than your one sided hot take.
One is probably due to “work search” requirements to obtain UE
Hey I applied, wherz by money

VN Store

Back