WNBA/Training Camps/ Pro LVs

Virtually every decision made by a network is based on financial considerations. If the networks thought they could make money on a sport, they would cover it. That's true regardless of what gender happens to be playing.

Of course. But because women's sports have been relegated to niche position in daily sports coverage meetings run by sexist males for as long as there have been sports coverage meetings, they've never been given equal opportunity to succeed.

Reactions: travis929
LV fans are very use to painful W cuts. The angst is coming from mostly from 2 SEC schools whose fans have become the lethal combo of totally entitled and perpetually victimized. The prez of LSU took to Twitter to agree with the painfully immature Morris and her frankly dumb, career ending tweets. Helicopter So Car fans gonna totally boycott over Beal.

I don't agree that the W's outlook is quite so rosy so the argument of the entitled that team expansion is the easy answer doesn't seem so obvious to me. Possibly roster expansions to 14, but even that seems a stretch. The league is at the mercy of rich people willing to make a very shaky investment. Not a great place to be.

I never said things are looking rosy for the WNBA. I said the league is in the best shape it ever has been (but things could be better). By analogy, when a patient is upgraded from critical to stable that does not mean the person is now in great health just that they are no likely to die any minute now.

Expansion is not an easy answer by any means. This ESPN from Voepel gives a pretty clear eyed assessment but the league expanding into new markets adds new players and spreads risk across ownership groups. Breanna Stewart was interview on ESPN last night and was asked about adding slots or expansion and she jumped right to expansion.

I have always wondered why the WNBA did not follow the old (and I mean old) model from the NBA in its start up days where drafts were regionally based. So, southern teams would draft from the SEC and midwestern teams from the Big 10. A regional draft could help transfer support from the college game to the pros.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I never said things are looking rosy for the WNBA. I said the league is in the best shape it ever has been (but things could be better). By analogy, when a patient is upgraded from critical to stable that does not mean the person is now in great health just that they are no likely to die any minute now.

Expansion is not an easy answer by any means. This ESPN from Voepel gives a pretty clear eyed assessment but the league expanding into new markets adds new players and spreads risk across ownership groups. Breanna Stewart was interview on ESPN last night and was asked about adding slots or expansion and she jumped right to expansion.

I have always wondered why the WNBA did not follow the old (and I mean old) model from the NBA in its start up days where drafts were regionally based. So, southern teams would draft from the SEC and midwestern teams from the Big 10. A regional draft could help transfer support from the college game to the pros.
Really isn't Atlanta the only quote Southern team in WNBA or you counting Dallas which is more Southwest but if they are more let me know

Of course. But because women's sports have been relegated to niche position in daily sports coverage meetings run by sexist males for as long as there have been sports coverage meetings, they've never been given equal opportunity to succeed.
The only thing that need to happen is girls and women need to fill up the arenas and but the merchandise. If that happens u will see the change, like I said before I know women that don’t even watch sports but they can name NBA players and have been to games, but they can’t name one WNBA at all. Some now know Angel Reese but that’s because she’s everywhere now, athletes in college need to promote themselves more, and more eyes will want to watch them at the next level.

Literally, in critical care settings if they didn't die overnight they're better. I'm afraid the W is on life support. They've never been able to get a leg up enough to do anything except nibble around the edges of things that would make the league better. Example, they announced today that they've now aquired lounge passes for all players to wait for flights in comfort. Limber those legs before you have to fold them into economy for the actual flight. Best they could do in answer to players' pleas for charter. Kind of sad.
Does that surprise you Horston 1st round pick and ,Mecedes a big why wouldn't they you not have faith in their ability.I am not that ruthless they both have talent thought you was a media person
Have you been paying attention? Most draftees get cut, even first rounders. Roster spots are few and far between and very much depend on the needs of certain teams they land with. Jordy got just the right fit on a rebuilding team and has made the most of it. So happy for her.

Storm's roster is interesting. Jordy is the only rookie from this yrs draft, but there's 3 others in their first yr who are older international players. With all the carrying on about vets taking spots, international players certainly take their share. It's the pros, you have to be the best plus get some fortunate breaks.

Last edited:
Really isn't Atlanta the only quote Southern team in WNBA or you counting Dallas which is more Southwest but if they are more let me know
Totally different era. Totally different set of objectives behind setting up the draft that way. It may have had some value but seems there were other interests involved.

Literally, in critical care settings if they didn't die overnight they're better. I'm afraid the W is on life support. They've never been able to get a leg up enough to do anything except nibble around the edges of things that would make the league better. Example, they announced today that they've now aquired lounge passes for all players to wait for flights in comfort. Limber those legs before you have to fold them into economy for the actual flight. Best they could do in answer to players' pleas for charter. Kind of sad.

Have you been paying attention? Most draftees get cut, even first rounders. Roster spots are few and far between and very much depend on the needs of certain teams they land with. Jordy got just the right fit on a rebuilding team and has made the most of it. So happy for her.

Storm's roster is interesting. Jordy is the only rookie from this yrs draft, but there's 3 others in their first yr who are older international players. With all the carrying on about vets taking spots, international players certainly take their share. It's the pros, you have to be the best plus get some fortunate breaks.
You got me I don't pay attention to WNBA it doesnt keep my attention kinda like watching the grass grow

Last edited:
Actually, for all the boo hooing, lots of rookie draftees made rosters. Amihere and Saxton both made it through, giving SC 4 along w Boston and Cooke. Also Grace Berger, Maddy Seigrist, Diamond Miller, Haley Jones, Ashley Joens and Jordy made it. I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

Morris really, really let her mouth overload her rear. Can't wait till the LSU White House visit next week!

Actually, for all the boo hooing, lots of rookie draftees made rosters. Amihere and Saxton both made it through, giving SC 4 along w Boston and Cooke. Also Grace Berger, Maddy Seigrist, Diamond Miller, Haley Jones, Ashley Joens and Jordy made it. I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

Morris really, really let her mouth overload her rear. Can't wait till the LSU White House visit next week!
Anticipating a little drama? 🔥. . . 😈

Edit: For some reason, I feel like they may all be nattily attired. Would that be a shocker? School girl plaid slacks and white collared shirts?

Edit II: Need to have the team on high alert for Joe.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52

One poster says different,you said previously that lots of first rounders get cut now your saying opposite make my mind up for me

Could be!

Forgot to add, some here will be sorry to hear that Evina Westbrook made a roster. Waived by the Mystics but picked up and kept by the Mercury.
Good news. She’s not the one that really gets under my skin. I wish her the best.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Totally different era. Totally different set of objectives behind setting up the draft that way. It may have had some value but seems there were other interests involved.
Kind of like when college world series done regions in early years ,Maine Black Bears went almost every year in early 80's from Atlantic Region

One poster says different,you said previously that lots of first rounders get cut now your saying opposite make my mind up for me
You're right, I was wrong. I was buying the twitter hysteria. But when I actually looked, alot made teams. Over the years, the % of even first rounders who make rosters is low. There are more this year so far, but it doesn't mean they'll stick. Bottom line, there are only 144 slots per yr.

You're right, I was wrong. I was buying the twitter hysteria. But when I actually looked, alot made teams. Over the years, the % of even first rounders who make rosters is low. There are more this year so far, but it doesn't mean they'll stick. Bottom line, there are only 144 slots per yr.
Yer making us think, @glv98 … ease off, eh?

Which, again, makes it silly to have more than one WNBA draft round...

I think the thought may be to distract away from the actual opportunity availability. Makes for better theatre.
Edit; did any second rounders stick this year?
I know a couple of 3rd rounders made it
So I did the homework, could have missed something, but here's how it appears to have shaken out. There were 3 rounds of 12, 36 total draftees. 16 made rosters

First round, the top 10 all made rosters. #11 and #12, Meyer and Hirsch (a center fm France) did not.

Second round is where the axe started swinging hard (sorry, I've been watching Love and Death). Only 4 made rosters, Leigha Brown, Dorka, Ashley Joens, and Mendjiadeu fm USF.

Third round actually had 2 keepers, Saxton and Siskiko fm Southern Cal. Taylor Soule fm VT came oh so close, last player cut before the deadline.

There are several players listed as rookies who were not in the draft, mostly international players.

Women’s tennis, gymnastics and figure skating prove otherwise. They’ve all established themselves as popular sports in their own right…or maybe the patriarchy just permitted women to support them?

So I did the homework, could have missed something, but here's how it appears to have shaken out. There were 3 rounds of 12, 36 total draftees. 16 made rosters

First round, the top 10 all made rosters. #11 and #12, Meyer and Hirsch (a center fm France) did not.

Second round is where the axe started swinging hard (sorry, I've been watching Love and Death). Only 4 made rosters, Leigha Brown, Dorka, Ashley Joens, and Mendjiadeu fm USF.

Third round actually had 2 keepers, Saxton and Siskiko fm Southern Cal. Taylor Soule fm VT came oh so close, last player cut before the deadline.

There are several players listed as rookies who were not in the draft, mostly international players.
Thank you for the research. Very interesting.

VN Store

Back