WNBA discussion thread?

A'ja needed a pedometer for that no-call travel, my goodness.

Hahaha! Great line. I just literally laughed out loud.

And you are right. I couldn't believe the officials didn't see it. :eek:

That was craziest last few minutes of any game I'd seen in a long time. I enjoy watching both those teams, so to be hopping back and forth so many times being happy for whichever team had just pulled off the last miracle was so much fun! I mean, when Bird hit that three from the corner I thought, "Jeez. Does the end of her career get anymore perfect for her than to get to add THAT -- a probable game-winning shot at the end of a playoffs game -- to her legend?"

And then, "WHAM!" Nope.

I'm also hoping this series goes to five, but I'm so worried about Candace that I want Chicago to find a way to close it out tomorrow night. I'm not ready for the season to end. 😢

Since I have nothing better to do today...

Anyone else notice recently that Candace has come to sound so much like Pat in the things she says to her teammates to motivate them? I am fairly certain that while she was being coached by Pat that she and her teammates got so darn sick and tired of Pat using the phrase, "You've got to play with a sense of urgency!"

The way those college-age know-it-alls would stare blankly back at Pat as if to say, "Yeah, yeah. We know. Blah, blah, blahhhhh," was, of course, pretty much the norm. Those old heads are just too dramatic! lol

Fast-forward into actual adulthood and all the experience that comes with that, and OMG. I am now certain that every single one of those players who were kids then and half hearing anything the "old heads" were saying, are ALL finding themselves thinking/saying/imploring many of the same things ol' Pat said to them and wishing with all their hearts they understood then how right she was.

Yeah, I can hear Candace saying, "We've got to play with urgency," and it makes me smile.

P.S. Kellie says it, too! 🧡

Last edited:
Hahaha! Great line. I just literally laughed out loud.

And you are right. I couldn't believe the officials didn't see it. :eek:

That was craziest last few minutes of any game I'd seen in a long time. I enjoy watching both those teams, so to be hopping back and forth so many times being happy for whichever team had just pulled off the last miracle was so much fun! I mean, when Bird hit that three from the corner I thought, "Jeez. Does the end of her career get anymore perfect for her than to get to add THAT -- a probable game-winning shot at the end of a playoffs game -- to her legend?"

And then, "WHAM!" Nope.

I'm also hoping this series goes to five, but I'm so worried about Candace that I want Chicago to find a way to close it out tomorrow night. I'm not ready for the season to end. 😢

Chicago will close it out tomorrow. I think the aces/storm goes to 5 but the sky/sun is done imo. The Sun just don’t have pieces that fit. Great pieces but it’s mismatch. The Sky will not play the way they been playing this next game and also they haven’t played to their fullest potential which doesn’t bode well for the Aces/Storm if they pull it all together.

Chicago will close it out tomorrow. I think the aces/storm goes to 5 but the sky/sun is done imo. The Sun just don’t have pieces that fit. Great pieces but it’s mismatch. The Sky will not play the way they been playing this next game and also they haven’t played to their fullest potential which doesn’t bode well for the Aces/Storm if they pull it all together.

I hope you're right, dapeak, but it's hard for me to dismiss the Sun as being a mismatch when they have played them super close all season long. PLUS it's another home game for them. I'm a worrier. 😩

I hope you're right, dapeak, but it's hard for me to dismiss the Sun as being a mismatch when they have played them super close all season long. PLUS it's another home game for them. I'm a worrier. 😩

when I say mismatch it’s the way the team is built not necessarily how they match with the SKY.

AT/Jonquel/DB/Bri Jones are an issue for ANY team but the all play the same 2-3 positions and honestly are at their best in the two post positions. They have no consistently good guard/perimeter play. Even Jasmine Thomas doesn’t give you that to be honest.

Last edited:
when I say mismatch it’s the way the team is built not necessarily how they match with the SKY.

AT/Jonquel/DB/Bri Jones are an issue for ANY team but the all play the same 2-3 positions and honestly are at their best in the two post positions. They have no consistently good guard/perimeter play. Even Jasmine Thomas doesn’t give you that to be honest.

Good points.

By the way, I look for Bonner to try much harder to score tonight. Bri Jones has always played well against Chicago, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had her best game of the playoffs. Just an aching feeling that I hope to be wrong about.

Good points.

By the way, I look for Bonner to try much harder to score tonight. Bri Jones has always played well against Chicago, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had her best game of the playoffs. Just an aching feeling that I hope to be wrong about.

agree but the Sky played very poorly last game. I don’t see that happening until this one and I’m sure they’ve been more hyped because of those AT fouls that went unaddressed

Reactions: lvocd
It’s so hard to predict how these games will go tonight. If Chicago wants a good shot at repeating, I think it’s important for them to close it out tonight so they have time to rest, recover, scout, etc. You don’t want to have to play a decisive game 5 in a series that’s been incredibly physical, and then have a quick turnaround for game 1 of the finals IF they win. It would be great to see a statement win tonight to remind everyone they’re serious about defending this title.

As for the other series, I get the feeling Vegas is gonna close it out tonight. I would love to see a game 5, but this Vegas team is on a mission.

I'm super glad James Wade went public with his concern about the Sun's "messy" play, and also that Candace hasn't made a comment (that I'm aware of) about it. I did see Candace giving AT herself some feedback during the game, and read earlier today that she'd said something like, "Oh, is THIS what we're gonna do AT? Really?"

Anyway, my hope is that Thomas got a call from someone higher up telling her she needs to take it down a notch. I don't know whether she would even be capable of doing that, and even if she could the coach might have them going in there with the mindset of "do whatever you need to do to win" since it could be their last game.

Won't be much longer now til we find out, will it? I'm nervous-excited.

Looks like the Sun brought their offense. If they keep this up and play stout D, it could be a long night for Chicago.

Parker is tapped out. She's had to carry the team for too many consecutive performances, and it caught up with her.

Chicago should concede this game and get the main 6 out of there.

James Wade should tell half the team to go ahead and head back to the hotel. Let the bench finish it out. Lol

I think the winner of this series could end up getting swept by the winner of the Aces-Seattle series.

Reactions: mcannon1
The Aces are lucky to be down only five, and it feels to me like it's over already. Stewart is having one of those magical nights that everyone dreams of.

The starters played 2/3 of the minutes. Does that seem extreme?

Sky vs. Sun - Box Score - September 6, 2022 - ESPN

No, that's not what I was getting at. They were so clearly in control of that game, for most of it, and I think I would have pulled them to rest and to avoid some crazy injury. If a coach wants to play his or her starters 100% of the minutes in a blowout, the ONLY part of it I'd question is the unnecessary risk of injury in the situation.

Thank goodness nobody was injured and, in hindsight, it may have given them a huge boost going into Chicago having just made the Sky look so ordinary.

No, that's not what I was getting at. They were so clearly in control of that game, for most of it, and I think I would have pulled them to rest and to avoid some crazy injury. If a coach wants to play his or her starters 100% of the minutes in a blowout, the ONLY part of it I'd question is the unnecessary risk of injury in the situation.

Thank goodness nobody was injured and, in hindsight, it may have given them a huge boost going into Chicago having just made the Sky look so ordinary.

Sky were playing with house money. They were tired and not up for the fight and I think in 2nd half starting to think about game 5.

Candace has taken a beating and she was clearly in conserve energy mode. She has not been that passive all playoffs. She will be back with a vengeance in game 5.

In the first, they looked a lot like the LVs on a bad night, where they missed lay-up after lay-up which allowed the Sun to steadily build a lead.

The main bright spot was Quigley finding her shot,

Game 5 goes to Sky comfortably.

305292451_5781278538573543_7752901159343314961_n.jpg

Reactions: Bret178
Rough night for the sky. They weren’t ready to roll and Connecticut had nothing to lose.

I did think the officiating was very one sided in all of the games at Connecticut. Alyssa Thomas should foul out in most first quarters. She is going to seriously injure someone or herself (again).

The officials tried to even things out toward the end after it was out of hand. But Connecticut got an and 1 on almost every basket in the first half and with very minimal contact compared to the rest of the series.

I think Sky will take game 5 pretty easily. They have the better, more cohesive team.

In other news, I’m glad UCONN was eliminated. On the 3 remaining teams there is maybe one UCoNN player I can think of. Love to see it. Seattle cracks me up, it’s just UConn 2.0 all star team. Can’t stand watching them even though I admire Stewie.

Congratulations Chicago & Candace for season ending fight. I just don't know how they gave up that many points with 4mts to go. When I logged in, it was Chicago leading with 63 to 56..And sun's kept them on 63 and won it's shocking..

VN Store

Back