WNBA discussion thread?

I don’t think about you at all sweetheart. Didn’t read your post either. Save your time and pass me over.

Aaah how cute! The "Big man" trying to save face by using the patronizing phrase "sweetheart." Poor baby, you are gonna get worn out compensating so hard.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to the Commissioner's Cup Championship game tonight! Sky vs. Aces. I think it'll be a finals-like atmosphere with some high level basketball.

Go Candace/Sky!

Tough one for the Sky but Candace had a nice game with 20pts. 14 reb and 4 assists

Reactions: ttharp
Tough one for the Sky but Candace had a nice game with 20pts. 14 reb and 4 assists

A tough one, for sure. They were playing catch up after getting down big in the 1st Q. Kah, Emma and Candace carried the team. The difference was guard play. Chelsea Gray was elite. So was Plum. Sloot and Quigley needed to match their play, but it was Sloot's first game back from being injured. I'm sure she'll return to form soon enough.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
A tough one, for sure. They were playing catch up after getting down big in the 1st Q. Kah, Emma and Candace carried the team. The difference was guard play. Chelsea Gray was elite. So was Plum. Sloot and Quigley needed to match their play, but it was Sloot's first game back from being injured. I'm sure she'll return to form soon enough.

It was amazing how often the Sky failed to guard Plum on the perimeter. She is not exactly a secret anymore. Hopefully, Candace and company will get their revenge in the playoffs.

I'm really interested to see if the Sky can avoid elimination tomorrow. It just dawned on me that tomorrow *could* be the last time we see Candace Parker play basketball.

I really need them to get this win! Game is at 11AM central time.

If the Sky play like they did today from here on out, they’ll be back in the Finals. If not, their season could end Tuesday.

I'm really interested to see if the Sky can avoid elimination tomorrow. It just dawned on me that tomorrow *could* be the last time we see Candace Parker play basketball.

The signs were pointing to this being CP3's last season but if she were retiring, I think she would have been on the Bird-Fowles farewell train. I hope she comes back, she can still play at a level.

If the Sky play like they did today from here on out, they’ll be back in the Finals. If not, their season could end Tuesday.

The Sky obviously had a great season and tied with the Aces in wins and losses, but they made me uncomfortable all year with how they went seemingly from one extreme to another, as they did in these first two playoff games.

I would love to see Chicago repeat for Parker’s sake, of course, but I wouldn’t be devastated if the Liberty won. I like the Aces, too, and think it would be super cool if LVFL Nicki Fargas’ hire of Becky Hammon becomes legendary if they were to win the championship in her first season.

Reactions: ttharp
The signs were pointing to this being CP3's last season but if she were retiring, I think she would have been on the Bird-Fowles farewell train. I hope she comes back, she can still play at a level.
She's not retiring ....she stated today and days before this that she prays Diana does not retire otherwise she will be the oldest player in the league next year. Players who are retiring don't make those type of definitive statements. She talked about appreciating the league and the accolades it has brought to her , i highly doubt she goes out without a farewell train or her children being present at her last game.

Have y’all not been keeping up? She’s clearly not retiring this year.

Reactions: Oldman70
The Sky obviously had a great season and tied with the Aces in wins and losses, but they made me uncomfortable all year with how they went seemingly from one extreme to another, as they did in these first two playoff games.

I would love to see Chicago repeat for Parker’s sake, of course, but I wouldn’t be devastated if the Liberty won. I like the Aces, too, and think it would be super cool if LVFL Nicki Fargas’ hire of Becky Hammon becomes legendary if they were to win the championship in her first season.

Seeing how the Sky played was definitely stressful a lot of the time --- esp with the way they'd wait till the 4th Q to kick it up a notch and dig themselves out of a hole. I will give them their props though. As the defending champs, they played with the target on their backs all season and still found ways to win.

Game 3 should be a good one. As for Vegas, I wouldn't mind seeing A'ja get her first ship. She was clearly heartbroken over last years result and has played like a MVP all season.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Have y’all not been keeping up? She’s clearly not retiring this year.

I've been following the Sky all season. Unless I missed something, I don't remember her saying she would be back without question. Did you see/hear her say that?

Reactions: Peas29
I'm hoping Candace will give everyone a whole season to get out to see her play in person one last time, but ya never know. Some people struggle with farewells. And you know what? This may sound strange considering her other career is broadcasting and willingly puts herself in the spotllight ... but I've always thought Candace might be more of an introvert than she'd admit. If that were the case then she might very well want to announce she has retired after a season. She could ALSO be a secret introvert with such a deep loyalty to fans that she'll go through one after another farewell just because she wants to thank the fans.

I know I haven't heard either way what she's going to do. I have GOT to go to Chicago for a game next season before it's too late!

No one is talking about the 2 games being 38 and 37 point blow outs. Both records on the same night? Again why Chicago losing game 1 was so embarrassing. Look at the box scores...don't know the exact number but NY starters scored about 50 less points in game 2 than game 1. In a 40 minute game. That's near impossible and quite frankly mind boggling the odds of that actually happening. Looks bad for the WNBA seeing results like that. At least Seattle and Washington is worth watching.

Phoenix went out sad. What a terrible season they've had, and what a terrible way for Taurasi's career to end 🤷🏾

Has anyone else seen the "It's Good to Be Back" (to school) Nike swoosh commercial that ends with Lisa Leslie entering the gym to emphatically deliver the tagline? I don't know about anyone else, but it keeps giving me the feeling that Lisa is hinting she's re-joining the Sparks organization in some capacity. I also recently watched Nneka Ogwumike's end-of-season exit interview, and something about how she answered the question about whether she ever considered leaving seemed like she was answering in a way that, to me, sounded like she would never leave the team to play for another team, but (IMO) left open the possibility to stop PLAYING in order to join the Sparks org in some other role besides player.

Just throwing these probably crazy notions out there to see if anyone else is feeling there's a big shift about to happen out in L.A. :eek:

I've been following the Sky all season. Unless I missed something, I don't remember her saying she would be back without question. Did you see/hear her say that?
Another poster commented already on her comments about hoping Diana wouldn’t retire and leave her as the oldest player still in the league.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree, sisaq, about Phoenix hanging in there. I've never been a fan of the Mercury, but it was a near miracle they even made the playoffs considering all the turmoil the franchise has gone through this season. A few months ago, BEFORE Brittney's arrest, they were considered a legitimate contender for the championship this year. The Brittney Griner-Tina Charles combo was projected to be a major problem for the rest of the league. Along with Diggins-Smith and Taurasi they had good reason to be optimistic.

But the toll it took on the team to have to try to hold it together as their friend was suffering in a dank cell in Russia, the multiple injuries to players, then the obvious stress-induced friction among team members as well as the new coach, the "contract divorce" of Charles, and it really SHOULD have been a complete disaster. Yet they still managed to make the playoffs. Sure, they made an early exit, but they really have nothing to be ashamed of, all things considered.

My hope is that Griner will be home soon.

VN Store

Back