With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way

VolFaninFla

While the commissioners will stick to their “student athlete welfare” soliloquies publicly, the conversations about expansion can be distilled into another pair of eternal themes — money and safety. The safety piece will be a vocal debate, one that presidents are cautious about. Also, perhaps the notion the athletes can leverage their Name, Image and Likeness on this stage would provide an incentive.

Things are going to change big time in the CFB landscape. Money changes everything.

Last edited:
I still think 16 teams would be the most ideal. You take the five Power 5 conference winners, the five Group Of 5 conference winners, and 6 at larges based on ranking. The top 8 seeded teams would host the bottom 8 in the first round. The 2nd, 3rd, and Championship rounds would be played in the Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Rose, and Peach bowls with each bowl rotating between the rounds and championship game each year. Done!

I still think 16 teams would be the most ideal. You take the five Power 5 conference winners, the five Group Of 5 conference winners, and 6 at larges based on ranking. The top 8 seeded teams would host the bottom 8 in the first round. The 2nd, 3rd, and Championship rounds would be played in the Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Rose, and Peach bowls with each bowl rotating between the rounds and championship game each year. Done!
The problem is that every conference champ doesn't deserve a spot.... if Utah goes 8-5 and wins the Pac-12, they don't deserve the spot over a 10-2 LSU team

16 is too many. I like the 8 team model. P5 Champions, top non P5 team, and 2 wildcards. This, in theory, gives every D1 team a chance at the beginning of the season.
I actually like the 16 team model. Instead of a home game though, I like using some of the lesser bowls. Who would you rather watch in the Belk or Liberty bowl two 6-6 teams who probably don't deserve a bowl game?
Or would you rather it be a 1 vs 16, or 2 vs 15 first round of the playoffs match-up?

Reactions: St. JohnVolCactus
I actually like the 16 team model. Instead of a home game though, I like using some of the lesser bowls. Who would you rather watch in the Belk or Liberty bowl two 6-6 teams who probably don't deserve a bowl game?
Or would you rather it be a 1 vs 16, or 2 vs 15 first round of the playoffs match-up?

I think 8 is just more realistic and you can still keep the bowl model for teams that don't make it. I think my model makes conference season more important but still gives everyone a shot. There may be a scenario where a 9-3 UT team is playing 12-0 Bama in the SEC Championship game. Under my scenario, UT has a shot to make the playoff.

The problem is that every conference champ doesn't deserve a spot.... if Utah goes 8-5 and wins the Pac-12, they don't deserve the spot over a 10-2 LSU team
I understand this sentiment, but The Dance has proven the worth of winning a championship. But this has to happen with a 12 or 16 model, as with only 8, you risk losing good teams like your 10-2 LSU team. Need plenty of wildcard spots, in other words.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

In my example, a 10-2 LSU team would likely be a wildcard and would still make the playoff.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
How does a 12-team model step down to a final 2 with an equal number of games for all teams? You'd be down to 6 teams after the first round, and 3 teams after the second, right?

Reactions: Vol Main and FBtime

4 neutral site games is way too much to ask of fans. The last thing anyone wants is playoff games in front of half-empty stadiums.

Same as the NFL used to be before this past season. The top 4 teams get a bye.

So give the top 4 teams a week off to rest, and the other 8 are going straight into playing after their conference championships?

If that's the route they go, it will be interesting to see how they spin player safety and the number of games played.

4 neutral site games is way too much to ask of fans. The last thing anyone wants is playoff games in front of half-empty stadiums.
I get what your saying, but most lower tier bowl games are already played in half-empty stadiums. Much more excitement for a 1 vs 16 playoff game.
If all the tickets aren't sold to the teams, then I think more local football fans will be interested in a first round playoff game than a snoozefest between to 6-6 teams.

While the commissioners will stick to their “student athlete welfare” soliloquies publicly, the conversations about expansion can be distilled into another pair of eternal themes — money and safety. The safety piece will be a vocal debate, one that presidents are cautious about. Also, perhaps the notion the athletes can leverage their Name, Image and Likeness on this stage would provide an incentive.

Things are going to change big time in the CFB landscape. Money changes everything.

Way too many games. 8 might be possible.

I get what your saying, but most lower tier bowl games are already played in half-empty stadiums. Much more excitement for a 1 vs 16 playoff game.
If all the tickets aren't sold to the teams, then I think more local football fans will be interested in a first round playoff game than a snoozefest between to 6-6 teams.

Or you could play the early round(s) on campus and guarantee sellouts with absolutely no effect on ratings.

This illustrates a problem with any playoff system, which is that someone will always think it's unfair that more teams don't get a shot. Go to 16 and people will make noise to expand it even further. Just having the current format is sooo much more fair than it used to be. Has any team outside the 4 had a legitimate gripe over being left out? It is possible to have too much of a good thing.

I did a league many years ago before Playoffs where a thing with a 32-team playoff. It worked great. I stay within the Bowl Schedule as well finishing up the second week of January and taking a week off between Christmas and New Years. (I used the WhatifSports.com to calculate whether a team won or not and use past CFB schedules from ESPN. I also eliminated most of the smaller leagues to save time so I only ran the BCS leagues and only kept some of the major non-BSC teams as independents like Boise State or BYU).

The thing is that not all 32 teams are going to make a National Title but you have similar issue in March Madness. It does give teams something to play for (making Sweet 16s or Final Fours) and IMO works better than Bowl System.

VN Store

Back