Wireless Earbuds

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Reading through Amazon and Best Buy reviews, even the Beats brand seems inconsistent in quality and not very durable. Could anyone offer personal recommendations? They need to sound good, stay in place during tough workouts, and resist sweat.

TIA!

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I've yet to have a problem with Beats. I had the earbuds first then switched to the wireless and they both work fine.

I use LG HSB730's...paid about 60 bucks for them on Amazon a couple of years ago. I see them on AliExpress for about 10-15 bucks and will order a pair there soon.

Good sound quality, great battery life, and people can hear me on a call.

There was a Bluetooth flaw with my Galaxy but no issues with my 6+.

I've always liked the Sennheiser sound - not bright, not bass boosted (like Beats). Very listenable for long sessions.

That said, I don't know what they offer in wireless buds.

For headphones I always start with what kind of sound do I like then seek the brands that have that house sound. Some are loved but bright (like Grado), some are loved but bass overload (like Beats). Every pair of Sennheiser I've had sounded good to me.

Bottomline, find the house sound you like then move to the specific product.

NOTE: I have a bit of tinnitus and bright speakers or headphones are uncomfortable to me.

I've always liked the Sennheiser sound - not bright, not bass boosted (like Beats). Very listenable for long sessions.

That said, I don't know what they offer in wireless buds.

For headphones I always start with what kind of sound do I like then seek the brands that have that house sound. Some are loved but bright (like Grado), some are loved but bass overload (like Beats). Every pair of Sennheiser I've had sounded good to me.

Bottomline, find the house sound you like then move to the specific product.

NOTE: I have a bit of tinnitus and bright speakers or headphones are uncomfortable to me.

I had a pair of Sennheiser's that I really liked. I always thought the sound quality was good and they held up well. Unfortunately, they gave up the ghost earlier this year (had them for about 7 years). I really need another pair.

I use Senn's in my studio -- very true sound. I'll look at what they offer in a wireless.

I went middle-ground and picked up the Yurbuds. $94 at BB. Will report back.

One run in, and quite pleased. Synced easily, comfortable, no slipping, decent sound.

Bumping this..

I've never had any wireless earbuds and I'm looking for some cheap ones ($25-$30 or less) to listen to Podcasts when mowing.

Right now the brands I'm looking at are...

JLab
Skullcandy
onn.

Anyone had any experience with these brands wireless earbuds.

I've got some wired Skullcandy ones I like and have been impressed with the few onn. electronic items I have purchased at Walmart.

Last edited:
@CagleMtnVol I've tested out 3 different brands of cheap earbud. I am constantly losing them because I'm disorganized and also because I have a curious toddler. I buy these ones now, whenever I lose one. They connect reliably, they fit me, and they sound right to me. I don't exactly have a finely tuned ear, plus I mostly just listen to podcasts, so TIFWIW

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Bumping this..

I'm never had any wireless earbuds and I'm looking for some cheap ones ($25-$30 or less) to listen to Podcasts when mowing.

Right now the brands I'm looking at are...

JLab
Skullcandy
onn.

Anyone had any experience with these brands wireless earbuds.

I've got some wired Skullcandy ones I like and have been impressed with the few onn. electronic items I have purchased at Walmart.
I've got JLABS. It is ridiculous how long the charge lasts if you put them away and don't use them for a while (months and months). Might not matter to anyone else, but if I haven't used them for 6 months and go pick them up, they still have a full charge. Maybe they all do, I don't know.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
@CagleMtnVol I've tested out 3 different brands of cheap earbud. I am constantly losing them because I'm disorganized and also because I have a curious toddler. I buy these ones now, whenever I lose one. They connect reliably, they fit me, and they sound right to me. I don't exactly have a finely tuned ear, plus I mostly just listen to podcasts, so TIFWIW

I may have to give these a try looked them up and found a few Brand New on eBay for less that $20.👍

Reactions: n_huffhines
I've got JLABS. It is ridiculous how long the charge lasts if you put them away and don't use them for a while (months and months). Might not matter to anyone else, but if I haven't used them for 6 months and go pick them up, they still have a full charge. Maybe they all do, I don't know.
These are the JLab's I'm looking at..
20220425_184151.jpg

Reactions: vollygirl
I use Raycons when I mow. I think they around $60. But they have them on sale a lot. I absolutely love them. Charge lasts a really long time, they sound great, are comfortable, and don't fall out. I can't speak on the JLabs, but check out the reviews on the Raycons.

Edit: they are $80, but on sale 20% off for Mothers day.

Last edited:
I use Raycons when I mow. I think they around $60. But they have them on sale a lot. I absolutely love them. Charge lasts a really long time, they sound great, are comfortable, and don't fall out. I can't speak on the JLabs, but check out the reviews on the Raycons.

Edit: they are $80, but on sale 20% off for Mothers day.
I've looked at those but having never had any wireless ones before I can't justify that price. Really want to stay in the $25 range.

Last edited:
Budget pick from the wire cutter. On sale for $40

For those who covet the completely wire-free design but don’t have a large budget, the EarFun Free 2 earbuds provide an experience that is on a par with—and occasionally better than—true wireless earbuds in the $90 to $100 range. Though the Free 2’s performance doesn’t rival that of our other picks, our test panel was impressed with both the sound quality and the number of premium features this pair offers while still selling for around 50 bucks. (If you aren’t interested specifically in true wireless earbuds or want to spend even less, pop over to our guide to the best earbuds under $50, where you’ll find more recommendations for neckband-style and wired earbuds that offer surprisingly good sound for the money.)
Many budget-priced true wireless earbuds offer a limited number of controls on the earbuds themselves, but the EarFun Free 2 has a full control suite, including play/pause, volume control, track forward/reverse, call answer/end, and digital-assistant activation. Though our team generally prefers physical buttons over touch-based controls, the large touch-surface area on these earbuds is more forgiving than other similar systems we’ve tested. It’s still not as foolproof as earbuds that have mechanical buttons to press, but because we didn’t have frequent misfires, we forgave this minor drawback.
In terms of sound quality for the price, EarFun did an excellent job in tuning the Free 2’s mid and low frequencies. Bass notes have actual pitches rather than thumps, and the attack and decay of kick-drum hits are clear and defined. The Free 2 provides more detail in the high frequencies than many similarly priced earbuds—but there is a big spike in the range of “s” and “t” sounds or cymbal crashes, which can be fatiguing to listen to, especially at louder volumes. Sensitive folks may find this spike off-putting and prefer the more balanced sound of the Elite 75t and Fit Pro. And unlike the Elite 75t, which offers the ability to adjust the sound in the Jabra app, the Free 2 has one sound profile—if you don’t like it, there is nothing you can do, aside from altering the equalizer in your music app, which won’t help when listening to streaming video or over phone calls.
Three tip sizes are included, and all of our panelists were able to get a secure fit. But the earbuds are a bit chunkier than the Jabra Elite 75t earbuds—the shape is contoured in a way that should make the Free 2 comfortable for most people, but someone with very small ears and ear canals may have a little more trouble.

The Free 2’s charging case is relatively small and should fit in a jeans pocket. It is compatible with Qi wireless chargers and has a quick-charge feature that will supply two hours of listening time after just 10 minutes in the case. Once fully charged, the earbuds will play music for around seven hours, though this can vary depending on how many phone calls you make and the volume at which you generally listen. If you happen to leave the earbuds out of the case, a 10-minute auto-shutoff will prevent you from draining your battery once your audio device disconnects.
We were very impressed with the microphone quality for phone and video calls, but this pair isn’t wind-noise resistant. A solid gust will lead to a buffeting sound, so you’ll want to duck inside to take a call on a blustery day.
With a higher dust/water resistance rating of IPX7, the EarFun Free 2 can definitely handle rain. IPX7 means the device can be dropped in a meter of water for 30 minutes with no adverse effects. The rating only applies to clear water, so be sure to rinse any saltwater, sweat, or dust off of the Free 2 after exposure and allow the earbuds to dry thoroughly before placing them back in a case. Should anything go wrong, EarFun covers the Free 2 with an 18-month warranty.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
I use Aftershox bone conductive bluetooth to listen to music while I ride my bikes and walk. The sound quality is great and I can still hear when something is coming up on me from behind.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
The in ear headphones are uncomfortable for me. So I use the half ear style ones. Similar to airpods. These are the best I've found so far. They show as $50 but you can generally find them for $40.

I was underwhelmed when I got some Powerbeats 2 earbuds. I didn’t mind the hooks but they don’t go all the way in your ear so you can still hear everything around you. That and the volume and sound quality was pretty bad for what you pay for.

VN Store

Back