Windy's football discussion thread.

That’s probably an answer that’s tough to answer via message board while typing on my phone. But I’m not familiar enough with the total long term costs associated with each to make that determination. There’s more cost than just the per hour rate that goes into long term decisions like that. Those numbers would be best quoted by accountants in DC.

But from an operational standpoint and my limited (and probably my own biases) knowledge on the capabilities of the the F-35, I think the A-10 should be retired. It can do so much more. Most of the people trying to keep the A-10 aren’t using anything more than “the guys on the ground love it” argument. I contend that a Marine or Soldier will appreciate any CAS, regardless of which aircraft provided it. And cost has literally never mattered to the DoD. Until this controversy. And there are other equivalent arguments that never get made. The stories of the F-35 being unreliable are blown out of proportion.

The KC-46 vs KC-135/KC-10 is an argument Congress should be having. But those two old tankers don’t have the legendary and mythical stories behind them that the A-10 does.

Just one, uninformed guy’s opinion. Do with it what you will.
The F-35 not capable of bringing the heat that the A10 can nor has it been shown to be as tough in theater. Show me an F-35 that comes back with half a wing and holes through the fuselage or that can fly low and slow and put 20 mm on target like the A10 can. The hog is still in service for a very specific function that we don't have a replacement for.

There’s a discussion between fight maker and Armageddon going on in the Henry T staying thread.
Not going there.

My number #1 hope for an end to the coach search (besides getting a great coach who can get us back on the rails) is that it happens in the next few days, so that I can go back to avoiding the FF. 🤞🏻

The F-35 not capable of bringing the heat that the A10 can nor has it been shown to be as tough in theater. Show me an F-35 that comes back with half a wing and holes through the fuselage or that can fly low and slow and put 20 mm on target like the A10 can. The hog is still in service for a very specific function that we don't have a replacement for.

Sure. But the likelihood of the F-35 getting shot is very small. The F-35 has flown plenty of combat missions without any real problems. It doesn’t need to fly low and slow. It’s capable of engaging targets from a distance.

Not going there.

My number #1 hope for an end to the coach search (besides getting a great coach who can get us back on the rails) is that it happens in the next few days, so that I can go back to avoiding the FF. 🤞🏻

The insider thing is kinda ridiculous. Nobody who really knows is saying anything of substance

Reactions: VolNExile
Sure. But the likelihood of the F-35 getting shot is very small. The F-35 has flown plenty of combat missions without any real problems. It doesn’t need to fly low and slow. It’s capable of engaging targets from a distance.
I'm not thinking the A10 is going anywhere. I sure hope it doesn't.

By the way, Fumbles is also posting on the RF FT3 thread, but I absolutely refuse to wade into an additional cesspool. Anyway:

It was pointed out by someone else that the 40mm probably covers the buyout. I assume that is correct and would alter some of the annual salary projections folks are making. Still a big number.

If Tennessee puts out that kinda money, surely it's a big hire. Right?
I would think so, including buyout money.

This won’t be a fun place for the next two years of NCAA stuff, so surely they have to wave big bucks. <— carefully inspects for iPhone spelling friskiness

Reactions: joevol33
How ‘bout if I get a fake flightplan filed? Would that help?

latest

VN Store

Back