Williams and Bone invited to combine

I was trying to recall, wasn’t one of the resident NBA experts saying he was average athletically?
If you're talking about a VN NBA resident expert, here's his quote in response to someone else who said Bone was the most athletic PG he's seen at UT.
"He’s quick. He doesn’t have great leaping skills or stop start change of direction,and unlike other guards he didn’t use his quickness aggressively enough or as a shut down defender."
But I aint namin names.

If you're talking about a VN NBA resident expert, here's his quote in response to someone else who said Bone was the most athletic PG he's seen at UT.
"He’s quick. He doesn’t have great leaping skills or stop start change of direction,and unlike other guards he didn’t use his quickness aggressively enough or as a shut down defender."
But I aint namin names.

Woof

But I aint namin names.
Don't question him. You'll hurt his feelings. He doesn't handle confrontation well.

But I aint namin names.

Yikes. His stop/start ability was on display every game. Amazing how he could stop on a dime.

The one thing I might go along with was that he didn’t always play defense like a guy that fast. He had some guys break him down.

Yikes. His stop/start ability was on display every game. Amazing how he could stop on a dime.

The one thing I might go along with was that he didn’t always play defense like a guy that fast. He had some guys break him down.

And even that was much much better this season

Seems like we will see Bone’s name popping up on mock drafts. Woj was on Sportscenter and said that Bone’s athletic testing caught the eye of a bunch of scouts.

So I've gone back and searched and haven't found one person mention Bone's lack of athleticism. In fact, it's been the opposite on here with everyone lauding his speed, agility, and athleticism. So who or what post/comment exactly are you pounding your chest at?
Then you didn't look hard enough. There was a decent amount of back-and-forth about Bone's athleticism. One poster in particular, continued to trumpet the ridiculous opinion that he was more skill and not very athletic. The legit complete opposite of reality. Again, look harder and you will find it if you care to find it. I have no interest in going back and calling out the poor poster who obviously had no idea what he was talking about.

Bone showed quickness at times but it’s obvious by these numbers he was way to tentative.
He did not show great leaping ability while here.

So I've gone back and searched and haven't found one person mention Bone's lack of athleticism. In fact, it's been the opposite on here with everyone lauding his speed, agility, and athleticism. So who or what post/comment exactly are you pounding your chest at?
Go search in the Cone thread.

But I aint namin names.
LOL
Glad to to see y’alls circle jerk.
If that makes you feel better have at it.

Then you didn't look hard enough. There was a decent amount of back-and-forth about Bone's athleticism. One poster in particular, continued to trumpet the ridiculous opinion that he was more skill and not very athletic. The legit complete opposite of reality. Again, look harder and you will find it if you care to find it. I have no interest in going back and calling out the poor poster who obviously had no idea what he was talking about.
I guess Barnes was holding him back.

Westbrook went 4th and Rose went first. If y’all want to make a case that Bone just had that kind of performance then I’m all ears.

Bone tested well but that means he'll probably get taken in the 2nd round. But honestly, I think he's best bet now is to return to school and try to improve draft status. The scouts know who he is now and if he has a great campaign, he'll be one of the top PGs (if not the top) taken.

Reactions: walkenvol
Bone should come back and show out, he would go much higher with another year. Congrat to Grant, you can't blame him for leaving. GBO!

Bone tested well but that means he'll probably get taken in the 2nd round. But honestly, I think he's best bet now is to return to school and try to improve draft status. The scouts know who he is now and if he has a great campaign, he'll be one of the top PGs (if not the top) taken.
Truthfully Bone is likely better off leaving. While he will be the number one player here, he is likely not going to improve his stock were he is going to be a lottery player; however, he will be a year older. Further, next year even with Bone we are likely not going to be competing for any championships. Right now he has tested well athletically and in the shooting drills. Bone is a hot prospect and some team has to be thinking he is a steal in the second round. Some team is going to get a great athlete, who has some potential as a spot up shooter, and will play his role and not complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: volfanhill
I guess Barnes was holding him back.
Holding back his ability to run fast and jump? Yeah, that makes sense. Only thing we were discussing was a prior argument about his athletic ability. But congrats on your failed attempt to segway our discussion into your agenda. 👋

Truthfully Bone is likely better off leaving. While he will be the number one player here, he is likely not going to improve his stock were he is going to be a lottery player; however, he will be a year older. Further, next year even with Bone we are likely not going to be competing for any championships. Right now he has tested well athletically and in the shooting drills. Bone is a hot prospect and some team has to be thinking he is a steal in the second round. Some team is going to get a great athlete, who has some potential as a spot up shooter, and will play his role and not complain.
Spot up shooter? That is definitely not his likely role at the next level.

Spot up shooter? That is definitely not his likely role at the next level.
Check these quotes from this article out. 2019 NBA Draft scouting report: Jordan Bone
Offensive Profile
Bone is decently efficient as a shooter, but his overall profile as a prospect is impressive if you are just basing it on his play during the 2018-19 NCAA season. He generated 16.3 points and 7.1 assists per game, despite being third on his team in usage (21.3%). To be able to have an assist rate north of 30% on that usage is frankly splendid.
He knocked down 35.5% of his attempts from the three point line last season, but many of his shots come from well beyond the collegiate line. That suggests that his shot is likely to project to the NBA level.
He was the point guard on the third-most efficient offense in the country last season, and Bone did not need a ton of usage to do so. As a scorer, he was more efficient when playing off the ball than on the ball. Per Synergy, he was a top-20 scorer in spot up possessions and top-10 in off screen possessions, among the 70 or so college players who are being profiled in our draft series. Ideally, you would want your backup point guard to be a fit to play alongside your starting point guard, and Bone’s profile suggests that could be the case.

Reactions: calban
Sounds to me like he could potentially be a lottery pick if he came back next year and showed out. He'd fully be on the NBA radar and with those measurables, he'd be in a nice spot.

That being said, he's almost certainly going to be drafted this year with what he's doing. And I think that's his primary concern. If he gets assured he'll be picked at all, he's probably gone.

I think there's a good chance bone has worked himself into being a late first round pick, or early second. He's got more potential than the first 3 picks of the second round last year with okobo, Carter, and Brunson. Better all around game than okobo, not limited athletically like Carter or Brunson.

VN Store

Back