Will these Freshmen guarda be better than Hopson?

Your original comment vaguely stated that "there was a lot more around these freshmen relative to when Scotty was here." You then immediately went into how loaded the bench was. No mention of CHARACTER, that I see, so I made the rational assumptive leap that, at that point, you were speaking of the talent level of each respective team.

If the theme of your post was sincerely about the character of each team, then no doubt this team will surround the current freshmen with a more positive environment. That isn't what I gathered from your original post, though, so hopefully you can see where the confusion came from.

If you are looking for precision, your comment “You have your years confused” is the most inaccurate one posted in the back and forth. I did not include a year after NYD, but I pointed out that it was 3 of the 4 players involved in the New Years Day arrest that were on on the roster with Hopson his freshman year. It’s pretty obvious that Goins didn’t show up a year earlier and get arrested with the others.

Your statement would have been accurate if it was “I THINK you have your years confused” or if you had asked me if I had them confused. But you DECLARED that I had my years confused which is completely wrong. If I had the years confused I would not have said “3”. I’m pretty sure that they were in a rented Dodge Charger and were stopped along the Alcoa Highway exit from I-40 east bound if you want to do more fact checking. I don’t know what color the car was. I think that the stop was made just before Cumberland Avenue/Kingston Pike. Ironically, there was a billboard just to the East, next to the railroad underpass, promoting the basketball season.

I don’t know how a traffic stop incident with arrests by KPD could be anything other than a comment on character. I don’t think it would be a safe assumption that they played a pickup game with the arresting officers. Tyler would have smoked them.

If you are looking for precision, your comment “You have your years confused” is the most inaccurate one posted in the back and forth. I did not include a year after NYD, but I pointed out that it was 3 of the 4 players involved in the New Years Day arrest that were on on the roster with Hopson his freshman year. It’s pretty obvious that Goins didn’t show up a year earlier and get arrested with the others.

Your statement would have been accurate if it was “I THINK you have your years confused” or if you had asked me if I had them confused. But you DECLARED that I had my years confused which is completely wrong. If I had the years confused I would not have said “3”. I’m pretty sure that they were in a rented Dodge Charger and were stopped along the Alcoa Highway exit from I-40 east bound if you want to do more fact checking. I don’t know what color the car was. I think that the stop was made just before Cumberland Avenue/Kingston Pike. Ironically, there was a billboard just to the East, next to the railroad underpass, promoting the basketball season.

I don’t know how a traffic stop incident with arrests by KPD could be anything other than a comment on character. I don’t think it would be a safe assumption that they played a pickup game with the arresting officers. Tyler would have smoked them.

Your wording strongly suggested that the incident happened his freshmen year. I can completely see how Chris was initially confused by your comments because I was as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: cncchris33

Wow, ok...I'm sorry my initial misunderstanding, apology for such, and plea for understanding as to why your comments were potentially confusing has triggered you this badly.

There was a lot of hype about Scottie, but the first time I saw him in the RT league, I knew he was not a 'one and done' guy.

He had a nice career, and was athletic as any wing in the league. But there was always something lacking in his game.
Hopson ended up having a nice career at UT, but he was more athlete than basketball player as a frosh. He hands were not good (which isn’t a good attribute for a guard) and he fumbled around with the basketball often. Skills matter and not sure how much coaching he had prior to enrolling and the expectations were higher than they likely should have been. He got up to 17 pts per game which is nothing to sneeze at in his 3rd year. He was basically a scorer but that was it. He didn’t rebound well, wasn’t a playmaker, was a below average FT shooter and wasn’t known for his defense. He always left us wanting more. Very good athlete however and to his credit has carved out a nice professional career.

Relative to Springer, speculative and based on nothing more than video, but he has high level basketball skills, strength and body control. Basically he can get where he wants on the court and understands what to do. As a frosh, Hopson had no idea. The poster who noted his high altitude jump shot ...hilarious (I had almost forgotten)....Scotty did make it rain often. Keon isn’t has refined as Springer but he has NBA athleticism and a motor to compete, even on the defensive end which is rare for a star high school athlete. On the fast break he is going to be a high level finisher, handles and shoots well enough that if you crowd him, he will blow by you. Or at least that is what I think based on video. Can’t wait to see them both. I doubt either is going to be shy or passive which is “in a word” what Hopson was as a freshman.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Wow, ok...I'm sorry my initial misunderstanding, apology for such, and plea for understanding as to why your comments were potentially confusing has triggered you this badly.

You’re the one that felt the need to correct me and you did it with a false claim.

If anything “triggered” me it was you telling me that I was confused. You were confused and weren’t accurate when you felt the need to police the comment. But apparently you are triggered because I have pointed out your actual inaccurate statement.

Last edited:
Your wording strongly suggested that the incident happened his freshmen year. I can completely see how Chris was initially confused by your comments because I was as well.

I refer to it as the New Years Day incident. I didn’t include the year. And again, I referred to 3 of the 4 players. Not all 4. If I was referencing skill level then Tyler would have been a bad choice as his spot was fairly similar to Hopson’s. Therefore I assumed that it would be understood that the lack of character with those 3 during his freshman year is what I was referencing. Hopson was not surrounded with as good of a group as KJ, JS, and Walker are right now. I looked at the roster during Hopson’s freshman year, noted that 3 were involved in an arrest, two are named Childress and Steven, and 3 (JP, Maze, Chism) were great teammates (although really playing different spots... JP was the closest that could have spelled SH).

I refer to it as the New Years Day incident. I didn’t include the year. And again, I referred to 3 of the 4 players. Not all 4. If I was referencing skill level then Tyler would have been a bad choice as his spot was fairly similar to Hopson’s. Therefore I assumed that it would be understood that the lack of character with those 3 during his freshman year is what I was referencing. Hopson was not surrounded with as good of a group as KJ, JS, and Walker are right now. I looked at the roster during Hopson’s freshman year, noted that 3 were involved in an arrest, two are named Childress and Steven, and 3 (JP, Maze, Chism) were great teammates (although really playing different spots... JP was the closest that could have spelled SH).

I understand what you are saying now. But the original post was phrased in a way to say the incident happened during Hopson’s freshman year which was what Chris was saying. Can you least admit it was phrased weird, understand chris’ confusion and then we can move on lol

You’re the one that felt the need to correct me and you did it with a false claim.
Already been discussed.

And it was based on a misunderstanding that three people have now admitted was misleading or poorly worded on your behalf.
You're perpetuating an argument that isn't even being made or argued otherwise. We misunderstood you. I apologized. You keep pounding the table. Why?

I understand what you are saying now. But the original post was phrased in a way to say the incident happened during Hopson’s freshman year which was what Chris was saying. Can you least admit it was phrased weird, understand chris’ confusion and then we can move on lol

I never said that it was perfectly worded. I just didn’t include a year. But somewhere up above I pointed out that I’m making a point of the flawed CHARACTER of teammates rather than an INCIDENT.

Already been discussed.

And it was based on a misunderstanding that three people have now admitted was misleading or poorly worded on your behalf.
You're perpetuating an argument that isn't even being made or argued otherwise. We misunderstood you. I apologized. You keep pounding the table. Why?

You call this ( VVV ) an “apology”? It sure seems like a snarky, sarcastic one. Okay. Maybe I’m misunderstanding YOUR words.

“Wow, ok...I'm sorry my initial misunderstanding, apology for such, and plea for understanding as to why your comments were potentially confusing has triggered you this badly.”

You call this ( VVV ) an “apology”? It sure seems like a snarky, sarcastic one. Okay. Maybe I’m misunderstanding YOUR words.

“Wow, ok...I'm sorry my initial misunderstanding, apology for such, and plea for understanding as to why your comments were potentially confusing has triggered you this badly.”
No, the post below was my first reply after your initial objection. I stated that the way it was stated had confused me, admitted it wasn't my intention to be combative, gave my explanation as to why it confused me, and ended with an apology. That could have been the end of it, but here we are.
Well, your post was vaguely worded if that was your intent. Wasn’t trying to be combative by pointing out the believed inaccuracies. I thought you were using the arrests to show his surrounding talent his freshman year was subpar and given that my point was that his freshman year, he was surrounded by comparable talent to our current freshmen, it seemed odd to make note of an event that took place midway thru Hopson’s sophomore year unless you had the years confused. Apologies for the misinterpretation.

No, the post below was my first reply after your initial objection. I stated that the way it was stated had confused me, admitted it wasn't my intention to be combative, gave my explanation as to why it confused me, and ended with an apology. That could have been the end of it, but here we are.

Why would you apologize for your misinterpretation? If you were actually sorry you would have apologized for TELLING me that I was confused about the year. You didn’t ask if I was mistaken about the year. You didn’t suggest that you might be confused. You said that I was confused. Correct me if I am wrong (needless to say, you will) but I still don’t see an apology for saying that I am confused.

Why would you apologize for your misinterpretation? If you were actually sorry you would have apologized for TELLING me that I was confused about the year. You didn’t ask if I was mistaken about the year. You didn’t suggest that you might be confused. You said that I was confused. Correct me if I am wrong (needless to say, you will) but I still don’t see an apology for saying that I am confused.
I'll say it again. My apologies for misinterpreting the intent of your post. Additional apologies for that misinterpretation leading to a misguided declaration of your understanding of the events of New Year's Day 2010.

Scotty was a solid player his Freshman year. He was a McDonald's All-American that was expected to come in and replace former 3 star SG Chris Lofton. He wasn't a super star by any means, but he was talented. In the first exhibition game of the season, I remember him going up to dunk over the other teams PG and the little 6' white kid blocked the dunk. My expectations went down from there. (It might have actually been Robert Hubbs, but I'm pretty sure it was Hopson)
Hopson wasn't really known for being a defender. He had the reputation of being a scorer. For as talented as Hopson was, he also had an extremely high opinion of himself. This wasn't really shown while he was at UT, but it hurt him when he went through the team interviews during the NBA Draft process and is a big reason he went undrafted.
Both Johnson and Springer have reputations of being athletic and hard nosed players on both ends of the court. I would expect them to have better all around games, but that might translate to better stats. They have Vescovi, Bailey, James, Pons, Fulkerson, Annosike, and each other to help shoulder the load of scoring so they won't be relied upon for that. But they are both talented enough that they could potentially lead us in scoring some nights or for the year.

VN Store

Back