Will these Freshmen guarda be better than Hopson?

jasonvols2.2

There was a lot of hype about Scottie, but the first time I saw him in the RT league, I knew he was not a 'one and done' guy.

He had a nice career, and was athletic as any wing in the league. But there was always something lacking in his game.

Reactions: SlyStone
Basketball discussion such a ray of sunshine during a dark stormy day of football talk. The only thing I hear is that these two care as much about being really good Defensive players as offense so that tells me all I need to know of were their careers will one day go rather it is one and done or two and done. Basketball Team has a chance to cut down the nets we will see and it will be fun. IN CHRIST ALONE THE TRUE SON SHINE

There’s a lot more around these freshmen relative to when Hopson was here. The bench is loaded. If KJ, JS, or even Walker is off we have many others that can step in. Ticket will have a hard time finding playing time this year and he would have played lots of minutes in the earlier era. I’m counting on Ticket a year, 2 years, and 3 years from now.

There’s a lot more around these freshmen relative to when Hopson was here. The bench is loaded. If KJ, JS, or even Walker is off we have many others that can step in. Ticket will have a hard time finding playing time this year and he would have played lots of minutes in the earlier era. I’m counting on Ticket a year, 2 years, and 3 years from now.
Not sure I’d say there is “a lot more” around these freshmen than there was when Hopson arrived. The team his freshmen year included Wayne Chism, Tyler Smith, both of whom would arguably start on this year’s team, plus JP Prince and Bobby Maze. I think this current team is probably deeper and has more potential, but I don’t see a huge team talent gap between the two that would warrant saying that these current freshmen have a lot more around them. Take the freshmen and Hopson out of the equation, and you’re left with a lineup of Vescovi, Bailey, James, Pons, and Fulk as opposed to a lineup of Maze, Prince, Smith, Chism, and Brian Williams. That is a pretty competitive matchup, I’d think.

I always thought that the primary thing Scotty lacked was a good handle. I know that Springer for one is a very good ball handler.
Very true. His inability to effectively handle the ball, especially in traffic inhibited his athletic ability to get to the rim, where he was a pretty good finisher. His shot really improved over time and he had the makings of a good defender, but his handle and his relaxed demeanor seemed to stunt his true potential.

Very true. His inability to effectively handle the ball, especially in traffic inhibited his athletic ability to get to the rim, where he was a pretty good finisher. His shot really improved over time and he had the makings of a good defender, but his handle and his relaxed demeanor seemed to stunt his true potential.
This sounds a lot like JJJs first year issues imo. At least JJJ's shot didn't bring rain, Hop's shot would leave the tv screen... lol
However, I do think Hopson finished with a great career at UT and I'm hoping JJJ does as well.

Reactions: cncchris33
This sounds a lot like JJJs first year issues imo. At least JJJ's shot didn't bring rain, Hop's shot would leave the tv screen... lol
However, I do think Hopson finished with a great career at UT and I'm hoping JJJ does as well.
Scotty’s career is definitely underappreciated by those who expected the second coming of Dr. J.

Not sure I’d say there is “a lot more” around these freshmen than there was when Hopson arrived. The team his freshmen year included Wayne Chism, Tyler Smith, both of whom would arguably start on this year’s team, plus JP Prince and Bobby Maze. I think this current team is probably deeper and has more potential, but I don’t see a huge team talent gap between the two that would warrant saying that these current freshmen have a lot more around them. Take the freshmen and Hopson out of the equation, and you’re left with a lineup of Vescovi, Bailey, James, Pons, and Fulk as opposed to a lineup of Maze, Prince, Smith, Chism, and Brian Williams. That is a pretty competitive matchup, I’d think.

Three of the regulars around Hopson his freshman year were arrested on New Years Day with illegal guns in their car. Steven Pearl, Josh Tabb, Woolridge, and Ryan Childress were also taking scholarships and minutes. I’ll agree that Weezy, Maze, and JP were some great players and high character reps for UT though.

Three of the regulars around Hopson his freshman year were arrested on New Years Day with illegal guns in their car. Steven Pearl, Josh Tabb, Woolridge, and Ryan Childress were also taking scholarships and minutes. I’ll agree that Weezy, Maze, and JP were some great players and high character reps for UT though.
You have your years confused. The arrests were during Hopson’s sophomore year (2009-10). And it was four regulars arrested; Tyler Smith (dismissed), Brian Williams, Cameron Tatum, and Melvin Goins (all suspended for various number of games). Goins wasn’t even on the team in 2008-09, Hopson’s freshman year.

Reactions: Nickid1975
Scotty’s career is definitely underappreciated by those who expected the second coming of Dr. J.
Scotty had great talent, but never had the drive that guys like Keon and Jaden SEEM to have. My statement is projection at this point, but I believe it will come to pass.

You have your years confused. The arrests were during Hopson’s sophomore year (2009-10). And it was four regulars arrested; Tyler Smith (dismissed), Brian Williams, Cameron Tatum, and Melvin Goins (all suspended for various number of games). Goins wasn’t even on the team in 2008-09, Hopson’s freshman year.

I don’t have my years confused. 3 of those 4 were Hopson’s teammates his freshman year. I didn’t say it happened Hopson’s freshman year. I know that Goins was the 4th and wasn’t on the roster Hopson’s freshman year. That’s why I said 3 of the 4.

This year's team is as deep as the one that blew the North Carolina game during the Green era. We get to the Final Four that year with Barnes as the coach.

This year's team is as deep as the one that blew the North Carolina game during the Green era. We get to the Final Four that year with Barnes as the coach.

I wouldn’t be shocked, but I’d be quite surprised if that happens.

His junior year was really impressive.

Reactions: cncchris33
I don’t have my years confused. 3 of those 4 were Hopson’s teammates his freshman year. I didn’t say it happened Hopson’s freshman year. I know that Goins was the 4th and wasn’t on the roster Hopson’s freshman year. That’s why I said 3 of the 4.
To be fair, your first sentence in the original post does kind of read that way.

I don't think Hopson as an 18 year old fit in well off the court with those guys as those were rough and tough grown men who could be quite intimidating, flamboyant and seemingly rough to a young Fr. I'm not saying there was anything bad going on but I can see how it would have been tough for a highly rated young player to fit in with that group who you know had no mercy on him. I think it helped toughen him up though as before he left I thought he turned into a tough gritty glue guy. Hopson as a Fr would have fit right in with this current team attitude wise but I also think Springer/Johnson would have fit in well back then.

To be fair, your first sentence in the original post does kind of read that way.

I don’t spell well either. But I said 3 of the 4 were Hopson’s teammates as a freshman. Goins was not a teammate Hopson’s freshman year, so if I was confused I would have said 4 instead of 3. New Years Day happens every year.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Well, your post was vaguely worded if that was your intent. Wasn’t trying to be combative by pointing out the believed inaccuracies. I thought you were using the arrests to show his surrounding talent his freshman year was subpar and given that my point was that his freshman year, he was surrounded by comparable talent to our current freshmen, it seemed odd to make note of an event that took place midway thru Hopson’s sophomore year unless you had the years confused. Apologies for the misinterpretation.

I don’t spell well either. But I said 3 of the 4 were Hopson’s teammates as a freshman. Goins was not a teammate Hopson’s freshman year, so if I was confused I would have said 4 instead of 3. New Years Day happens every year.
To be fair, if the belief is that you had the years confused, then I don’t think it’s a giant leap to believe you could possibly have the details of the incident confused, as well.

If I am being honest, though, it surprised me to think that someone as well-versed in TN basketball history as you generally are would have had those details confused, so a part of me did believe that maybe it was just poorly-worded.

To be fair, if the belief is that you had the years confused, then I don’t think it’s a giant leap to believe you could possibly have the details of the incident confused, as well.

If I am being honest, though, it surprised me to think that someone as well-versed in TN basketball history as you generally are would have had those details confused, so a part of me did believe that maybe it was just poorly-worded.

My wording is that 3 of the 4 arrests were of players that played during Hopson’s freshman year. The 4th was also a teammate the next year. I was speaking of the CHARACTER of the guys speeding in a car with altered guns (or maybe ONLY a gun had serial numbers altered if we’re still grading), not an EVENT that occurred at some point during one of Hopson’s years. Wasn’t there also weed in their car? So 3 guys getting high minutes during Hopson’s freshman year were speeding and riding dirty during another of Hopson’s years. I’m sure that they were taking Scotty to bible study during his freshman year.

My wording is that 3 of the 4 arrests were of players that played during Hopson’s freshman year. The 4th was also a teammate the next year. I was speaking of the CHARACTER of the guys speeding in a car with altered guns (or maybe ONLY a gun had serial numbers altered if we’re still grading), not an EVENT that occurred at some point during one of Hopson’s years. Wasn’t there also weed in their car? So 3 guys getting high minutes during Hopson’s freshman year were speeding and riding dirty during another of Hopson’s years. I’m sure that they were taking Scotty to bible study during his freshman year.

Your original comment vaguely stated that "there was a lot more around these freshmen relative to when Scotty was here." You then immediately went into how loaded the bench was. No mention of CHARACTER, that I see, so I made the rational assumptive leap that, at that point, you were speaking of the talent level of each respective team.

If the theme of your post was sincerely about the character of each team, then no doubt this team will surround the current freshmen with a more positive environment. That isn't what I gathered from your original post, though, so hopefully you can see where the confusion came from.

VN Store

Back