Will there be a rule change next year for flopping, and if so, what?

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
Is flopping a new strategy for football that will be with us forever, or will someone figure a way to punish the culprits? What is the fix? Hypothetically, let's say a coach like that Ole Miss coach, uses it and wins a game he wouldn't have - goes home with a W rather than an L, would you consider that unethical or brilliant, or both?

u2F.gif

Is flopping a new strategy for football that will be with us forever, or will someone figure a way to punish the culprits? What is the fix? Hypothetically, let's say a coach like that Ole Miss coach, uses it and wins a game he wouldn't have - goes home with a W rather than an L, would you consider that unethical or brilliant, or both?

u2F.gif
I sure hope so! if a player goes down with an injury they need to be held out that whole possession. That would fix a lot of flopping against a fast paced offense.

I would like a rule change but I doubt it happens. Like I posted in another thread, there are a handful of schools that really rely on tempo other than situationally but everyone plays defense. Changing the rule would benefit a small number of schools at the expense of everyone. The only way it will change is if the TV people find that it is costing them viewership, which I doubt. If anything, they'll figure out a way to cut away and squeeze in more commercials.

Yep. That’s the simplest solution which means the NCAA won’t even consider it.

u2F.gif
Three injury stoppages per team per game.
After that it costs time out each time

The fix is if you go down for an injury you can't come back until the next possession so you can be properly evaluated by the training staff.

I'd go further, and add that if a player flops twice in a game, he's out the rest of that game.
If the second flop is in the second half, he's out the first half of the next game.
Put some damn teeth in the rule.

I'd go further, and add that if a player flops twice in a game, he's out the rest of that game.
If the second flop is in the second half, he's out the first half of the next game.
Teams will just spread the chosen flopping to different players and continue to flop. I’m not sure your solution will work long term. Better to have the player sit out 4 plays or more.

I’m for the player that goes down being able to come back in but the defense cannot sub or go to the sideline and talk to coaches.

The problem is you can't make it a judgement call by the ref if its a flop or not. The right solution is if a player goes down he can't come back until next offensive possession.

The problem is you can't make it a judgement call by the ref if its a flop or not. The right solution is if a player goes down he can't come back until next offensive possession.
What if the coach puts in a scrub to flop?

Give the offended team a choice of a loss of time out for their opponent or accept a delay of game penalty with an automatic 1st down. Unless you have an obvious situation where it’s clearly not a flop in which the flopper is out the rest of the game for his own safety sake.

Yep. That’s the simplest solution which means the NCAA won’t even consider it.
The problem becomes enforcement. Who is going track all the players who have exited because on an injury and compare that to the players on the field?

Reactions: livefaith
Player cannot play the rest of the possession. The rest of the floppers team must remain between the hashes and cannot huddle with coaches or receive refreshments but the opposing (non-flopping) team can. Stop letting them have unlimited timeouts!!

u2F.gif
Are you under the impression this is a new phenomenon?

Reactions: livefaith
The fix is if you go down for an injury you can't come back until the next possession so you can be properly evaluated by the training staff.

Muscle cramps get a flag, 15 yards automatic 1st down and 1+ game suspension.

I usually walk off muscle cramps. I don’t expect someone to come massage it out.

Yeah but what happens when our star defensive player gets a genuine cramp/stinger but they make him sit because he had to lay on the field for a couple minutes? You ok with that?

The problem becomes enforcement. Who is going track all the players who have exited because on an injury and compare that to the players on the field?

Who tracks it now when they have to come off the field for a helmet or heck even when ejected? I see no problem with enforcement with all the cameras at D1 games. The booth could keep track. Make it a 15 yarder if the player comes in too soon.

Reactions: Orange12

u2F.gif

Hold on a bit, I can't reach Nick for an answer

Yeah but what happens when our star defensive player gets a genuine cramp/stinger but they make him sit because he had to lay on the field for a couple minutes? You ok with that?

Why wouldn’t we? Shouldn’t it take more than 1 play for an “injured” player to be evaluated?

VN Store

Back