Will there be a rule change next year for flopping, and if so, what?

Why wouldn’t we? Shouldn’t it take more than 1 play for an “injured” player to be evaluated?
Yeah but 2-3 plays is different than an entire drive. You may get the wind knocked out of you and need a few plays but does that mean you can’t go back at all the drive? Bc it took you a minute to catch your breath while laying on the field?

They aren’t as always as blatant as you think. Sometimes it’s really hard to determine if it was genuine or not. Other times it’s painfully obvious. But don’t you just coach the players to not make it as obvious if you continue to utilize that strategy?

Too much gray area for me. Although I hate when teams do it.

What if the coach puts in a scrub to flop?

Give the offended team a choice of a loss of time out for their opponent or accept a delay of game penalty with an automatic 1st down. Unless you have an obvious situation where it’s clearly not a flop in which the flopper is out the rest of the game for his own safety sake.
Usually the flops occur when the offense is at peak efficiency and not subbing. If the offense doesn't sub then the defense can't sub. Well they can but will likely get a 12 man penalty

Yeah but 2-3 plays is different than an entire drive. You may get the wind knocked out of you and need a few plays but does that mean you can’t go back at all the drive? Bc it took you a minute to catch your breath while laying on the field?

They aren’t as always as blatant as you think. Sometimes it’s really hard to determine if it was genuine or not. Other times it’s painfully obvious. But don’t you just coach the players to not make it as obvious if you continue to utilize that strategy?

Too much gray area for me. Although I hate when teams do it.

Oh well. Sitting until the next possession is just the simplest and easiest way to stop the flopping.

Three injury stoppages per team per game.
After that it costs time out each time
This would make the best sense. The only issue otherwise is that it would be up to the referees to determine what is a fFLOP and what is an actual injury. If your recommendation was implemented, it would be on the Coach to ensure his guys stop the fake injuries.

Yeah but what happens when our star defensive player gets a genuine cramp/stinger but they make him sit because he had to lay on the field for a couple minutes? You ok with that?
Have to be okay with it both ways, injuries can’t be a judgement call. In the end, if you make them sit the possession it’s “in the interest of the health and safety of the student athletes”
UT used a “flop” a few times this year to save a TO, but I feel like it was used against our offense much much more.

Reactions: Orange12
Are you under the impression this is a new phenomenon?

Yep. We're just now ranting @ what Oregon ranted @ a decade ago and more. We should keep in mind (read: lower expectations) that everyone else in NCAA fandom cares about this about as much as we Vols have for the.past decade +. None! Therefore, I'm not expecting a big rush for a rule change soon. 😏

Player cannot play the rest of the possession. The rest of the floppers team must remain between the hashes and cannot huddle with coaches or receive refreshments but the opposing (non-flopping) team can. Stop letting them have unlimited timeouts!!
This is pretty much what I've been saying except I'm ok with both teams staying between the hashes.

Uh...not to put too fine of a point on it but the OP's question is:
Will there be a rule change next year for flopping, and if so, what?
We've had numerous threads on how to address the "Kiffin Flop". Will the NCAA step up and address that sleaze bag's tactics..??
Not for the next season. "Injury timeouts" called by officials have been (essentially) a COURTESY, fairly offered to both teams. As usual however, in most such cases...some P.O.S. eventually finds a way to take advantage of it and RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE. Enter: Kiffin.
If it continues to be so blatantly abused into next season...look for some kind of rule change. At this time there hasn't been sufficient hue and cry about it and it's not like the NCAA to actually get out in front of a problem until they are dragged into it by force.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Are you under the impression this is a new phenomenon?
I am. Perhaps I'm naïve, and sure I've seen it before, but not used so blatant an shamelessly as it has this season.

Couple of comments on ideas thrown around so far. I like the "miss the rest of the quarter" idea, however what if there is only a minute left in the quarter? I think the hockey "penalty box" concept of a timer going would be a more accurate measure. (however if a guy targets with 1:00 minute left in the half, he's only has to sit out a half, compared to the guy that targets on the first play of the game).

As for keeping up with who goes in and out of the game, I think they actually have someone tracking that. Redshirt status impacted by getting in a game. And you'd only have to track the flopper, not everybody.

Those that have said to get to a point where you have to start burning timeouts is a good thought. A flop shouldn't allow you the timeout advantage. Players shouldn't be able to be coached up or substituted during the injury. I'd even say waterboys should be kept off the field. Team that flops should stay between the hash marks as injured player is dealt with, and by golly why not reward the other team with letting them go to their sideline and get coached up? That rewards the team that didn't flop. Might put a stop to it.

I think that it would be prudent for the defensive players be out for the rest of that possession to recover and hydrate after their cramp. It is most definitely a medical issue that she take some time to resolve.

It’s all about players safety and health, isn’t it?;)

So to judge if it’s a fake or not is useless, but to keep the team with an “injured” player in the middle of the field and only sub for the ones that are hurt. For the team that doesn’t have an injury, they get to go to the sidelines get coaching and sub. Does this penalize a team for getting hurt? Yes, even for a real injury.

Faking injuries jeopardizes the integrity of the game between the lines. I get teaching how to hold to not get caught and to PI to save the TD, but faking an injury to save timeouts disrespects the young men that have been injured on the field.

Reactions: Orange12
When a player goes down they have to sit out a minimum number of plays (10 or 15 would be ideal)

Is flopping a new strategy for football that will be with us forever, or will someone figure a way to punish the culprits? What is the fix? Hypothetically, let's say a coach like that Ole Miss coach, uses it and wins a game he wouldn't have - goes home with a W rather than an L, would you consider that unethical or brilliant, or both?

u2F.gif
Great song.

VN Store

Back