Will the SEC seek to expand now?

I'd prefer no more southeastern competition, but that's naïve at this point. We talking about adding from just the ACC?

Clemson, FSU, VT, and NCSU are the most "SEC-like" schools from a culture perspective.

Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Miami are the biggest brands.

FSU and Louisville (used to?) generate the most AD revenue.

Personally I wouldn't want to add any wine & cheese types to the premier football conference in college sports (i.e. Virginia, UNC, Duke, GT)

NC State is a tough one. They are respectable in athletics and academics, but don't bring the bang of Clemson or Miami. I just think it would be best to add schools that would also bring built in rivalries with existing SEC schools. Clemson and FSU would be great choices for SC and Fla. Ga Tech adds a little for GA and also brings the return of an original founding member of the SEC. I guess Ok St would add value to OK as well.
NC State is in a major metro area. Clemson may have more success in football, but not sure they bring as much.

NC State is a tough one. They are respectable in athletics and academics, but don't bring the bang of Clemson or Miami. I just think it would be best to add schools that would also bring built in rivalries with existing SEC schools. Clemson and FSU would be great choices for SC and Fla. Ga Tech adds a little for GA and also brings the return of an original founding member of the SEC. I guess Ok St would add value to OK as well.
NC State is in a major metro area. Clemson may have more success in football, but not sure they bring as much.

Oregon wants in the SEC now. At this point, geography does not seem to matter. The biggest factors now are TV footprint and history/prestige.

I think Clemson football is a bigger brand overall. I do think that both Clemson and NC State would be great fits to the SEC. I think you can include FSU and Virginia Tech as great cultural fits as well. Duke, Carolina, UVA and Miami are more “like-minded” Universities that align with the Big 10 .

If we HAD to add 4 to get to 20 those I think the 4 I mentioned would check a lot of boxes. TV footprint w/ State and VT . Current and traditional value with Clemson and FSU. Beyond that I like the idea of Oklahoma State maintaining its relationship w/ OU and I think West Virginia would be a good cultural fit.

I think Clemson football is a bigger brand overall. I do think that both Clemson and NC State would be great fits to the SEC. I think you can include FSU and Virginia Tech as great cultural fits as well. Duke, Carolina, UVA and Miami are more “like-minded” Universities that align with the Big 10 .

If we HAD to add 4 to get to 20 those I think the 4 I mentioned would check a lot of boxes. TV footprint w/ State and VT . Current and traditional value with Clemson and FSU. Beyond that I like the idea of Oklahoma State maintaining its relationship w/ OU and I think West Virginia would be a good cultural fit.

Sorry brother, but culture takes a back seat to cold hard cash.

The easiest way to add cash is TV contracts. VT adds exactly nothing there. FSU the market basically overlaps with Florida. Love the Noles and wish the SEC had added them in the 90s but there's a reason it didn't happen. Clemson is in the same boat as FSU. Their footprint is already there with SC. Only hope that both schools have is that the SEC just wants all the other major conferences out of the area.

UVA opens up the DC market as government is littered with Wahoo grads. If the SEC has to take VT to get VA, then I believe they would just to keep everyone else out.

Sorry brother, but culture takes a back seat to cold hard cash.

The easiest way to add cash is TV contracts. VT adds exactly nothing there. FSU the market basically overlaps with Florida. Love the Noles and wish the SEC had added them in the 90s but there's a reason it didn't happen. Clemson is in the same boat as FSU. Their footprint is already there with SC. Only hope that both schools have is that the SEC just wants all the other major conferences out of the area.

UVA opens up the DC market as government is littered with Wahoo grads. If the SEC has to take VT to get VA, then I believe they would just to keep everyone else out.

I’m aware of all of that.
Virginia Tech actually does add something . So does NC State. They expand the TV footprint. I wasn’t suggesting that they are the prize here, but more of a realistic look at what SEC expansion could look like. I don’t see UVA, UNC or Duke being SEC schools. Imo they would be much more comfortable w/ the Michigan’s, Wisconsin’s and Northwesterns of the world. They could all get together at Spring meetings and talk about how great they are and how they are all 1 step away from being Ivy. FSU and Clemson obviously don’t expand the footprint, but as I said, they add value and tradition, and as you mentioned it keeps the B1G out of the SEC footprint .

Swing for the fences and try to get Notre Dame. Depending on whether or not that succeeds, start looking at the following in order of impact:

Virginia Tech (more popular than UVA)
North Carolina/NC State (would prefer the Wolfpack, frankly)
Colorado
Pittsburgh/WVU
Florida State (maybe)

I really don’t see the utility in bringing Clemson on board; the SEC already has South Carolina, and as split as the state is it’s not like Clemson is going to the Big Ten so you could easily leave them out there to rot and give Tennessee back its old Upstate inroads.
Colorado brings nothing to the table. Let them rot in the MWC.

63. UCF — 407K
64. Colorado — 366K
65. Tulsa — 358K

Reactions: wmcovol
I’m aware of all of that.
Virginia Tech actually does add something . So does NC State. They expand the TV footprint. I wasn’t suggesting that they are the prize here, but more of a realistic look at what SEC expansion could look like. I don’t see UVA, UNC or Duke being SEC schools. Imo they would be much more comfortable w/ the Michigan’s, Wisconsin’s and Northwesterns of the world. They could all get together at Spring meetings and talk about how great they are and how they are all 1 step away from being Ivy. FSU and Clemson obviously don’t expand the footprint, but as I said, they add value and tradition, and as you mentioned it keeps the B1G out of the SEC footprint .

I dunno man, I'm not sold on VT at all honestly. Even in SwVa, you are as likely to see UT merch as VT merch. Most of their fans are within an hours drive or so of campus and there's not a whole hell of a lot there if you know what I mean. Roanoke is a fine town, but I'm not so sure that the SEC offices are going to be swayed by being able to get the eyeballs in Shawsville.

I would add that VT need to do something before any other conference takes them. By that, I mean they need to show that they can make some noise without Frank Beamer. They were jack until he got there and have been jack since he left-in addition to not being much his last few years on the job. Face it, they had a good run with Mike Vick, but they have been pretty average for a long time now. (Yes, I know UT has also, but that's another discussion !)

The only reason I would even take them in the first place is if UVA was a package deal. I agree, on academics the folks at Jefferson's school do not fit in the SEC, but I'm sure the head honchos would love to get into the DC market which the Wahoos allow them to do.

I don't have a Twitter account (to old) but I just heard that according to somebody called Spartigus (spelling?) Twitter's account he is claiming that the SEC is in negotiations with the ACC to bring Clemson and FSU to the SEC. Can anyone confirm that has Twitter? Supposedly Brent McMurphy has confirmed?

When has the “losing” conference ever been involved with negotiations in any of these other deals? Was the PAC 12 involved? Was B12 involved when Tx & OU left? I’m calling bull$hit on this claim.

We are at 16 now.
in order my preference to get to 24 would be
1. North Carolina
2. Duke (package deal)
3. Virginia
4. Virginia Tech
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Florida State
8. Kansas

NC State/Miami/WVU could be back ups but not needed.

Then you have the most dominant conference still but still retain the entire South from Virginia to Florida to Texas
Kansas 😂😂😂🤣🤣

Nebraska isn't AAU.
They were when they joined the BIG though. As more and more schools qualified for AAU membership the AAU stiffed their rules for membership. The only reason Nebraska was booted out is because their medical school is located in Omaha and not Lincoln.

One of reasons Texas built a basketball arena was in order to tear down the Frank Erwin Center and build an on campus medical school.

I dunno man, I'm not sold on VT at all honestly. Even in SwVa, you are as likely to see UT merch as VT merch. Most of their fans are within an hours drive or so of campus and there's not a whole hell of a lot there if you know what I mean. Roanoke is a fine town, but I'm not so sure that the SEC offices are going to be swayed by being able to get the eyeballs in Shawsville.

I would add that VT need to do something before any other conference takes them. By that, I mean they need to show that they can make some noise without Frank Beamer. They were jack until he got there and have been jack since he left-in addition to not being much his last few years on the job. Face it, they had a good run with Mike Vick, but they have been pretty average for a long time now. (Yes, I know UT has also, but that's another discussion !)

The only reason I would even take them in the first place is if UVA was a package deal. I agree, on academics the folks at Jefferson's school do not fit in the SEC, but I'm sure the head honchos would love to get into the DC market which the Wahoos allow them to do.
By the mention of Shawsville you must live in SWVA? I do. I'm from Radford.

By the mention of Shawsville you must live in SWVA? I do. I'm from Radford.

I live in TN-by about a mile or so anyway.
Had an ex gf with parents living in Shawsville so we used to meet in Roanoke routinely for lunch or whatever.

Edit and addition-the parents were both UT fans, so they were normal LOL

I live in TN-by about a mile or so anyway.
Had an ex gf with parents living in Shawsville so we used to meet in Roanoke routinely for lunch or whatever.

Edit and addition-the parents were both UT fans, so they were normal LOL
The Ex GF or the parents?

Maybe a naive question but I'll ask anyway - It used to be that schools considered academic fit when they moved around. Utah joined Pac12 not only for athletics, but for the research money that would filter to their academic departments. Is this still a consideration? Or is it simply universities chasing the money?

reason behind the question - if I look at academic fit - Clemson, FSU, VA Tech are better fits for athletics and academics. The SEC is not exactly the gold standard of academic universities. Without Vandy, UF would the only school ranked in the top 50 universities. The Big 10 might be a better fit for a Duke, UNC, GA Tech.

Thoughts?

Maybe a naive question but I'll ask anyway - It used to be that schools considered academic fit when they moved around. Utah joined Pac12 not only for athletics, but for the research money that would filter to their academic departments. Is this still a consideration? Or is it simply universities chasing the money?

reason behind the question - if I look at academic fit - Clemson, FSU, VA Tech are better fits for athletics and academics. The SEC is not exactly the gold standard of academic universities. Without Vandy, UF would the only school ranked in the top 50 universities. The Big 10 might be a better fit for a Duke, UNC, GA Tech.

Thoughts?
I agree and have said that same thing the last week or so. You can throw UVA in there as well.

Reactions: oz615 and tbwhhs

VN Store

Back