Will the SEC seek to expand now?

If we’re talking TV footprint you want to add UNC/Duke/NC State (not sure how legally bound they are to UNC) and UVA/VT. If you’re now expanding to keep the B1G out of your geographic footprint you absolutely go after Clemson and FSU first. Miami being the small private school that it is, with a questionable fan base would be my third choice out of Clemson and FSU.

I would take Duke, North Carolina, Virginia and Virginia Tech if the ACC is going to be poached.

We are at 16 now.
in order my preference to get to 24 would be
1. North Carolina
2. Duke (package deal)
3. Virginia
4. Virginia Tech
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Florida State
8. Kansas

NC State/Miami/WVU could be back ups but not needed.

Then you have the most dominant conference still but still retain the entire South from Virginia to Florida to Texas

I don't have a Twitter account (to old) but I just heard that according to somebody called Spartigus (spelling?) Twitter's account he is claiming that the SEC is in negotiations with the ACC to bring Clemson and FSU to the SEC. Can anyone confirm that has Twitter? Supposedly Brent McMurphy has confirmed?

I don't have a Twitter account (to old) but I just heard that according to somebody called Spartigus (spelling?) Twitter's account he is claiming that the SEC is in negotiations with the ACC to bring Clemson and FSU to the SEC. Can anyone confirm that has Twitter? Supposedly Brent McMurphy has confirmed?
I don't see anything on Brett McMurphy's Twitter about it.

Reactions: Vols1966
I think the SEC will expand again. I could even see it going basketball heavy.

So teams near the SEC footprint like Duke and UNC could be good targets.
I’m really intrigued by the SEC’s opportunity to grab UNC, Duke, and Kansas. I know neither of those teams help in football, so it would be necessary to bring Clemson, but it would make the SEC the best basketball conference. The SEC would have 4 of the best blue bloods and each team would have natural rivals in the conference. The SEC would become the top conference in the major three (football, basketball, baseball) and if the SEC could maintain its dominance in the major three for a significant period of time, the SEC might be able to poach a B1G team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elhanan
If we’re talking TV footprint you want to add UNC/Duke/NC State (not sure how legally bound they are to UNC) and UVA/VT. If you’re now expanding to keep the B1G out of your geographic footprint you absolutely go after Clemson and FSU first. Miami being the small private school that it is, with a questionable fan base would be my third choice out of Clemson and FSU.
FSU isn't AAU, neither is Miami. The B1G has yet to add a non-AAU school.

The B1G may very well look at NC, Duke, UVa but so far they've not looked at a non-AAU school.

Reactions: SpookyAction
We are at 16 now.
in order my preference to get to 24 would be
1. North Carolina
2. Duke (package deal)
3. Virginia
4. Virginia Tech
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Florida State
8. Kansas

NC State/Miami/WVU could be back ups but not needed.

Then you have the most dominant conference still but still retain the entire South from Virginia to Florida to Texas

Geography no longer matters. I’d take Oregon over Clemson and GT. Even though GT was an original SEC member, they don’t really bring anything to the table across the board and other than Dabo who is starting to get his ass kicked, what does Clemson add outside of football? Even though NC ST has numbers, they’re always a step child. Forget Miami and WVU. Kansas would be an excellent add.
Good write up by UT Alum Ryan McGhee
The SEC-Big Ten battle for college football supremacy is just beginning

McMurphy has reported nothing of the sort,

Reactions: Vols1966
A few thoughts on expansion.
1. Supposedly the ACC conference agreement is pretty solid through 2036. A school trying to leave on their own would forfeit their revenue for their own games through 2036. For the agreement to be broken, a majority of the schools would need to agree. So the Big 10 and SEC might need to throw some sort of Bone to schools like Wake Forest to get them to agree. I doubt the agreement holds through 2036 but it may slow things down for now imo.
2. AAU membership is important to the Big 10 and could impact who they target and make the Big 10 more attractive to UNC and UVA.
3. Streaming of games makes the focus on cable packages and geographic footprint less important now but Is still a factor. Travel costs, Especially for the non revenue sports is still something to consider imo.
4. If Norte Dame makes a move soon, a lot of other dominoes will fall quickly.
5. GBO

I think you have to bring in GaTech. Do not want a B1G school in downtown Atlanta, Tech is liable to join the B1G if they cannot rejoin the SEC.

I think you have to bring in GaTech. Do not want a B1G school in downtown Atlanta, Tech is liable to join the B1G if they cannot rejoin the SEC.
Why assume GT is desirable for either? I don’t see any appeal of GT whatsoever. Bobby Dodd Stadium has absolutely no bearing in the current climate. UVA, Miami, or Oregon are much more desirable for many reasons. For the other post about AAU universities, there are only 63 in the country and most of research academia either doesn’t care, or has great disdain for sports Plus this is strictly a major sports paradigm shift and nothing else.

Why assume GT is desirable for either? I don’t see any appeal of GT whatsoever. Bobby Dodd Stadium has absolutely no bearing in the current climate. UVA, Miami, or Oregon are much more desirable for many reasons. For the other post about AAU universities, there are only 63 in the country and most of research academia either doesn’t care, or has great disdain for sports Plus this is strictly a major sports paradigm shift and nothing else.
I think Ga Tech is desirable to the B1G because it sits squarely in the middle of one of the richest pools of high-school talent in America. You don't think Ohio State/Michigan/So Cal/etc would not like to routinely play games in Atlanta?

Yeah, I know Ohio State does a decent job of recruiting in the SE. But Ga Tech is probably more desirable for that reason alone than just about any other ACC school.

I think Ga Tech is desirable to the B1G because it sits squarely in the middle of one of the richest pools of high-school talent in America. You don't think Ohio State/Michigan/So Cal/etc would not like to routinely play games in Atlanta?

Yeah, I know Ohio State does a decent job of recruiting in the SE. But Ga Tech is probably more desirable for that reason alone than just about any other ACC school.

Not to mention, the academic profile at GT is in line with the B10.

Would still prefer they rejoin the SEC though if for no other reason than to guarantee their series with UGA.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
If we can’t get ND this go around, I think we have to turn our attention westward first.

The ACC schools will be hard to pull because of the GOR at this time. If the ultimate end-game of the Powers That Be is 2 super-conferences, then I think there will be 2 more phases of realignment:

Phase 1: Initial expansion of BIG & SEC from regional to national conferences. This has now kicked-off with the addition of USC & UCLA to the BIG.

I would like to see the SEC make the next big strike by claiming Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and one of the Arizona schools in Phase 1.

This gives the SEC 2 more timezones along with the Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix markets. Oregon is also a national brand. This cripples the PAC-12, expands influence nationally, and prevents a merger of PAC/BIG XII/ACC, allowing Phase 2 to proceed. Also, it helps isolate USC/UCLA in the BIG by not allowing other decent programs around them to be added. Make the BIG settle for other schools if they want to continue expanding West.

Phase 2: This will occur in 7-10 years, closer to the end of the ACC’s GOR. This is when those schools will be more able to sacrifice short-term losses for long-term gains.

From here, the SEC & BIG consolidate the Eastern seaboard, taking some combination of UNC, NC State, Virginia, VT, Clemson, Miami, FSU, etc.

For me, I desire these additions as the SEC grows from a regional to a national conference:

Phase 1:
1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Colorado
4. Arizona State

Phase 2:
1. UNC
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame*
4. Clemson

*If Notre Dame does not join the SEC or BIG in Phase 1, it will have to join one to stay relevant with the push to 2 super-conferences. This is also why destroying the remnants of the PAC is essential in not allowing a consolidation of stronger PAC/Big XII/ACC teams.

The nightmare scenario is the BIG grabbing more desirable Western markets, allowing them to generate greater revenue and thus becoming far more attractive to the most desirable ACC schools in Phase 2.

By failing to expand nationally to the West, the SEC is locked into only the Southeastern region, having to add schools already in its footprint; which, in turn, affects the projected generated revenue.

In that scenario, we wind-up adding the likes of NC State over UNC, VT over UVA, FSU (in footprint), Miami (in footprint), Clemson (in footprint), Georgia Tech (in footprint).

The SEC needs to strike hard & fast to counter the national conference move of the BIG. Otherwise, you end up having a super-conference foe with greater reach, bigger markets, and their pick of schools to add.

NC State is a tough one. They are respectable in athletics and academics, but don't bring the bang of Clemson or Miami. I just think it would be best to add schools that would also bring built in rivalries with existing SEC schools. Clemson and FSU would be great choices for SC and Fla. Ga Tech adds a little for GA and also brings the return of an original founding member of the SEC. I guess Ok St would add value to OK as well.

but NC State's football stadium is a great place for tailgating!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back