Will JG be back next year?

Some had to Google Dobbs and search past threads to come up with an “understand” narrative...since they had no idea the program existed BM.

I don’t like JG as our QB either but it gets old seeing his name pop up in random threads like it’s really going to change Pruitt’s mind.

It's a sports board. We are all bored. No one here thinks anything will change JPs mind on this. #2 has the job until he leaves. It's as simple as that.

It's just very confusing and frustrating.

Reactions: cgrish
That’s to be expected. All I’m saying is we heard all the same things last year until a change was made. Pointing out the truth is not being a “fan boy”. It’s accepting what really happened vs forgetting what the kid brought. He’s a gamer, not a practice player. Anyone that argues that should accept the fact that had Pruitt been here Dobbs would’ve never seen the field because from what I understand, he was the same way
No. Dobbs got his shot precisely because he was shredding UT's D as the scout team QB.

Reactions: 1vol8
I heard Shrout is out performing Maurer so far. If that trend continues, expect maurer to be qb3.

In complete honesty, Shrout has the arm and passing instincts to be the best of all of them if he gets his head straight. Maurer is more mobile but Shrout has a gun in the class of Bray or Shuler.

Again, my only desire is QB play MUCH better than anything we've seen since Dobbs left.

In complete honesty, Shrout has the arm and passing instincts to be the best of all of them if he gets his head straight. Maurer is more mobile but Shrout has a gun in the class of Bray or Shuler.

Again, my only desire is QB play MUCH better than anything we've seen since Dobbs left.

Have to agree with the last part!

Also.. what he brought? Not much.
This is what I have a problem with. People tend to forget how “flat” and “lifeless” this team was through the first 4 weeks last year. It wasn’t until we played UGA that the team started playing more inspired and THAT just happened to be when Pruitt pulled the plug. We can look at it as coincidence or otherwise but all I know is that game, MSU and Alabama the entire team played like a team that believed it could win. So saying he “didn’t bring much” is not only untrue but just as biased against him as I’m being accused of being biased in his favor. The only difference is everything I write is based on facts of actual events. Not opinions.

This is what I have a problem with. People tend to forget how “flat” and “lifeless” this team was through the first 4 weeks last year. It wasn’t until we played UGA that the team started playing more inspired and THAT just happened to be when Pruitt pulled the plug. We can look at it as coincidence or otherwise but all I know is that game, MSU and Alabama the entire team played like a team that believed it could win. So saying he “didn’t bring much” is not only untrue but just as biased against him as I’m being accused of being biased in his favor. The only difference is everything I write is based on facts of actual events. Not opinions.
Another troll hit job. Nearly every player to a man has credited the turnaround in attitude to the fiery meeting Pruitt had with the team following the Florida loss. Smith said it, Jennings said it, Bituli said it, Calloway said it, even ol JG himself said it. Pure ridiculous statement to say it was BM that provided the spark when all of our team leaders say it was Pruitt.

Another troll hit job. Nearly every player to a man has credited the turnaround in attitude to the fiery meeting Pruitt had with the team following the Florida loss. Smith said it, Jennings said it, Bituli said it, Calloway said it, even ol JG himself said it. Pure ridiculous statement to say it was BM that provided the spark when all of our team leaders say it was Pruitt.
Not going to quantify the amount of spark, but Maurer provided one. You can only do so much with words. Somebody had to do it on the FIELD. I believe he got the ball rolling and the team took it the rest of the way.

You’re too worried about what players and coaches SAY. There’s a thing called professionalism that has an unwritten rule that you don’t say anything negative about any player or coach to the media. It’s what got TO blackballed. Dez is suffering the same fate as we speak. That’s what I’ve been saying all along...... if you take everything you hear as complete truth you’ll never know the truth. You gotta read between the lines and use common sense.

Reactions: cgrish
Several players came out after they yanked his RS and said he had been unstoppable in practice.
But didn’t Marquez Calloway say about the same thing of Maurer last season when he was asked if his success was surprising? Paraphrasing, his answer was “Not at all. He does it in practice all the time.”
Also coach Weinke as well in his last media interview was quoted saying that Maurer “has the IT factor” which is a very strong compliment coming from a qb coach and doesn’t come without success in practice.
Have I not expressed that I’ve attended practices and seen a fairly equal competition (if there was one) among them all in their own right? Because I know one of them, my opinion is worthless and I understand that. But my practice report matches what both Weinke and Calloway have said.

If there’s one thing I know about Brian, he needs a defense across from him to see his true ability. He needs to be rushed and he reads the corner defending. Routes on air (The part the media is allowed to see) is not his favorite thing because there is no corner. There’s no rush. It’s not fun to him. There’s been one “wow” throw that we’ve been able to see in practice this year (practice #3 ‘in or out’) and it was him dropping a ball between a corner and safety with absolutely perfect coverage. The window was about the size of a watermelon from roughly 30 yards away. That happens quite often in the 11 on 11 portion that the media is not allowed to see. That’s what I tried to report about a year ago and no one wanted to believe me until they got to see him play vs UGA.

If people want to know the truth about what each qb looks like in practice, watch last years games and stop paying attention to the reports because they only see ONE portion of it. That’s not enough to make a determination. JGs experience shows. Maurer is the most explosive and Shrout has the cannon arm that gets away from him at times. It’s as simple as that.

But didn’t Marquez Calloway say about the same thing of Maurer last season when he was asked if his success was surprising? Paraphrasing, his answer was “Not at all. He does it in practice all the time.”
Also coach Weinke as well in his last media interview was quoted saying that Maurer “has the IT factor” which is a very strong compliment coming from a qb coach and doesn’t come without success in practice.
Have I not expressed that I’ve attended practices and seen a fairly equal competition (if there was one) among them all in their own right? Because I know one of them, my opinion is worthless and I understand that. But my practice report matches what both Weinke and Calloway have said.
Agree with all of this except I didn't hear the Weinke comment.

I'd like to know where the extra news is coming from btw. I have other things going on and do not post as much right now. Folks used to post links to news and videos.

If there’s one thing I know about Brian, he needs a defense across from him to see his true ability. He needs to be rushed and he reads the corner defending. Routes on air (The part the media is allowed to see) is not his favorite thing because there is no corner. There’s no rush. It’s not fun to him. There’s been one “wow” throw that we’ve been able to see in practice this year (practice #3 ‘in or out’) and it was him dropping a ball between a corner and safety with absolutely perfect coverage. The window was about the size of a watermelon from roughly 30 yards away. That happens quite often in the 11 on 11 portion that the media is not allowed to see. That’s what I tried to report about a year ago and no one wanted to believe me until they got to see him play vs UGA.
I've made that argument myself... can't remember who the QB was. I don't think it was BM. I compare it to a pitcher. Years ago when I pitched I was accurate with everything I threw. When I had a batter, I became a spot pitcher. I never threw excessively hard but could put the ball exactly where I wanted it and read batting stances. Usually I could make a batter hit it on the ground to Short or 2b.

If people want to know the truth about what each qb looks like in practice, watch last years games and stop paying attention to the reports because they only see ONE portion of it. That’s not enough to make a determination. JGs experience shows. Maurer is the most explosive and Shrout has the cannon arm that gets away from him at times. It’s as simple as that.
You aren't going to get that here. I've been here a long time. People are going to gravitate not only to leaks and practice reports but will usually accentuate the reports that suit them best. I try not to do that.

My history with k-town goes back to the fall when JG and Dormady competed for the job. Two things stuck out for me. Dormady almost always got the most #1 reps and usually went out first with the 1's. When John Kelly let it slip that Dormady had earned the job about 2 or 3 weeks before the season... I didn't have any question who it would be. k-town being who he is... argued that JG was going to be the starter until it was clear he wasn't... then began harping on JG getting playing time too.

I haven't seen enough of the tea leaves this year to make that kind of prediction.

IMHO, if Shrout or Maurer have improved and can manage the O at an acceptable level... JG will not remain the starter even if he goes out first vs USCe.

I'd have to see a lot more info to make a prediction.

FWIW, Pruitt doesn't let as much info out as Jones did. Makes it much harder to predict.

I'd like to know where the extra news is coming from btw. I have other things going on and do not post as much right now. Folks used to post links to news and videos.

I've made that argument myself... can't remember who the QB was. I don't think it was BM. I compare it to a pitcher. Years ago when I pitched I was accurate with everything I threw. When I had a batter, I became a spot pitcher. I never threw excessively hard but could put the ball exactly where I wanted it and read batting stances. Usually I could make a batter hit it on the ground to Short or 2b.

You aren't going to get that here. I've been here a long time. People are going to gravitate not only to leaks and practice reports but will usually accentuate the reports that suit them best. I try not to do that.

My history with k-town goes back to the fall when JG and Dormady competed for the job. Two things stuck out for me. Dormady almost always got the most #1 reps and usually went out first with the 1's. When John Kelly let it slip that Dormady had earned the job about 2 or 3 weeks before the season... I didn't have any question who it would be. k-town being who he is... argued that JG was going to be the starter until it was clear he wasn't... then began harping on JG getting playing time too.

I haven't seen enough of the tea leaves this year to make that kind of prediction.

IMHO, if Shrout or Maurer have improved and can manage the O at an acceptable level... JG will not remain the starter even if he goes out first vs USCe.

FWIW, Pruitt doesn't let as much info out as Jones did. Makes it much harder to predict.
I’ll see if I can find the Weinke quote for ya. I found it odd because it was the exact opposite of what we’d been hearing from Pruitt and the reports and I find it even more odd that he hasn’t spoke to the media since. In fact, no one has. Also, When you look at the difference in play calling with Maurer vs JG it “suggests” that Weinke and Chaney both had much more confidence in Maurer than did Pruitt. There’s more details than most of us will ever know going on behind the scenes that would completely shock a lot of us. I’m sure of it.

I’ll quote this post when I find the interview.

Here’s the interview that he talked about Maurer having “it”. About 9:30 mark.

There’s one more that somehow I had intertwined where he’s talking about the LACK OF ints from all three qbs. I’ll post that as well. Good interview and worth listening to.

Here’s the interview that he talked about Maurer having “it”. About 9:30 mark.

There’s one more that somehow I had intertwined where he’s talking about the LACK OF ints from all three qbs. I’ll post that as well. Good interview and worth listening to.

Is that from last year?

Not saying it isn't a good comment... but may not be very relevant to who wins the job this month.

I hope the lack of INT's is not because they aren't pushing the envelope enough.

I’ll see if I can find the Weinke quote for ya. I found it odd because it was the exact opposite of what we’d been hearing from Pruitt and the reports and I find it even more odd that he hasn’t spoke to the media since. In fact, no one has. Also, When you look at the difference in play calling with Maurer vs JG it “suggests” that Weinke and Chaney both had much more confidence in Maurer than did Pruitt. There’s more details than most of us will ever know going on behind the scenes that would completely shock a lot of us. I’m sure of it.

I’ll quote this post when I find the interview.
There are always things talked about between coaches that never get out... as it should be.

I think they had confidence in BM to throw routes JG has never thrown well. BM's effectiveness was hurt vs UK IMO because they focused on taking the quick throws away.

I like Pruitt. No coach is right all the time. But if Brian thinks Pruitt has a bias against him then he probably should transfer. The competition isn't going to get easier going forward. IMHO, Bailey and Salter are both several levels above JG.

I
Is that from last year?

Not saying it isn't a good comment... but may not be very relevant to who wins the job this month.

I hope the lack of INT's is not because they aren't pushing the envelope enough.
It is from last year. And no it’s not relevant to now. It just helps my argument that what we hear from practice reports and media obviously isn’t always complete truth when you have the qb coach contradicting the narrative. His perception seems to match my observation of practice as of last year. No need to point out that this year hasn’t really had an opportunity yet.

Reactions: sjt18
I

It is from last year. And no it’s not relevant to now. It just helps my argument that what we hear from practice reports and media obviously isn’t always complete truth when you have the qb coach contradicting the narrative. His perception seems to match my observation of practice as of last year. No need to point out that this year hasn’t really had an opportunity yet.
I kind of get a kick out of the notion that everyday the same 4 or 5 reporters squint and struggle to see 15 minutes of practice from 100 yards away and then start typing furiously trying to turn routes on air into a story.

I kind of get a kick out of the notion that everyday the same 4 or 5 reporters squint and struggle to see 15 minutes of practice from 100 yards away and then start typing furiously trying to turn routes on air into a story.
I couldn’t agree more but they ARE allowed a close up view of routes on air. They get kicked out afterwards. At least that’s how it was last year from my perspective

Last edited:
If JG has a good season then he might return next year. Hopefully we are doing well enough to get the backup some game time and maybe even get HB some live reps. So far it looks like shrout is qb2 but there's alot of time left for that to change.

VN Store

Back