Will an American President Ever Apologize for the Atomic Bombings of Japan?

Was Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb right?

• Total voters
A lot of the rest of the world thinks Americans as individuals are rude bastards too. With posters like 72 and Sandy, I can't blame 'em for that too much.. :) sounds like he was in good, familiar company in Hawaii.
I guess that's why Sandy and I feel at home on VN when you are logged on.

And why do why all have so many cameras? I mean everywhere I go they are taking pictures of something

Us mean cusses gotta stick together.
I think what you and some others are missing in this is related to the life experiences of Sandvol and me. You see, we are at an age where we grew up listening to our dad or uncle or their friends talking about the brutality of the Japanese during WW II.

They fought them. They saw them kill their buddies. They may have been captured and sent to the Japanese mainland as slave labor. They may have been forced on a death march, and watched them shoot their buddies when they couldn't go any further. They hated the Japanese.

Also, I have a really good friend that we will call Jack, because that is his real name. Jack's dad was shipped out to the Pacific theater in 1944. Just before he left, he got Jack's mother pregnant. He was flying in a B-17 when he was shot down in the Battle of the Philippine Sea.

Jack's dad and other surviving crew members were taken prisoner. He was tortured and died in a Japanese prison. You see, Jack grew up not knowing who his father was, not knowing that side of his family , since his grandfather was killed at Pearl Harbor. Jack is 71 now and has never really come to grips with the fact that he never got to know the kind of men that he came from.

Another friend Gregg, has a father, now 101, who survived the Battan death march. So, you see Sandvol and I have life experiences that most on here don't have which tends to make us have a born hatred for the Japanese. When we see them be rude and shove our wives, our first thought is to throw them over the falls..........for our dads, our uncles, and for Jack and for Gregg.

Reactions: 1 person
I think what you and some others are missing in this is related to the life experiences of Sandvol and me. You see, we are at an age where we grew up listening to our dad or uncle or their friends talking about the brutality of the Japanese during WW II.

They fought them. They saw them kill their buddies. They may have been captured and sent to the Japanese mainland as slave labor. They may have been forced on a death march, and watched them shoot their buddies when they couldn't go any further. They hated the Japanese.

Also, I have a really good friend that we will call Jack, because that is his real name. Jack's dad was shipped out to the Pacific theater in 1944. Just before he left, he got Jack's mother pregnant. He was flying in a B-17 when he was shot down in the Battle of the Philippine Sea.

Jack's dad and other surviving crew members were taken prisoner. He was tortured and died in a Japanese prison. You see, Jack grew up not knowing who his father was, not knowing that side of his family , since his grandfather was killed at Pearl Harbor. Jack is 71 now and has never really come to grips with the fact that he never got to know the kind of men that he came from.

Another friend Gregg, has a father, now 101, who survived the Battan death march. So, you see Sandvol and I have life experiences that most on here don't have which tends to make us have a born hatred for the Japanese. When we see them be rude and shove our wives, our first thought is to throw them over the falls..........for our dads, our uncles, and for Jack and for Gregg.

That's the most poignant rationalization for throwing a random Japanese man down a waterfall that I think I've ever read.

Reactions: 3 people
That's the most poignant rationalization for throwing a random Japanese man down a waterfall that I think I've ever read.
Well, there's that, PLUS he was about a foot shorter than me, so I thought it would be an easy toss. Actually, he wasn't random at all. He shoved my wife out of the way. Random would have been tossing the other 49 of the little bastards over Akaka Falls.

Reactions: 4 people
If Germany and Japan had won WWII can you imagine what the world would have been like? Stopping after only nuking two cities was very decent of us.

Reactions: 2 people
Anyone else think neocons with their "kill em all" attitude are simply terrorist born in a different country?

All this tells me is that you can't separate the Japanese people of today with the ones we fought in WWII, which makes about as much sense as holding animosity towards white people today because some white people owned slaves a long time ago. Get a grip.

All this tells me is that you can't separate the Japanese people of today with the ones we fought in WWII, which makes about as much sense as holding animosity towards white people today because some white people owned slaves a long time ago. Get a grip.
I just knew you would understand.

It's an acceptable double standard on VN, apparently

My goodness at the level of poon in this thread...... Some of you tender hearted souls need to study the word "jest"...... Or have your ass thrown over the rail with the slant eyed bastards '72 is targeting.

Not even Obama is to be the guy, although he was the most likely candidate we've had to date:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-wont-apologize-for-hiroshima-during-trip-to-193058852.html

Rest assured, though, the apology will come at some point. It will be at least another 20-30 years though, at which point I will have one foot in the grave, so perhaps I won't find it as insufferable then as I think I will. And then again, I may even be more ornery.

Not even Obama is to be the guy, although he was the most likely candidate we've had to date:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-wont-apologize-for-hiroshima-during-trip-to-193058852.html

Rest assured, though, the apology will come at some point. It will be at least another 20-30 years though, at which point I will have one foot in the grave, so perhaps I won't find it as insufferable then as I think I will. And then again, I may even be more ornery.

Right. Because appologizing for intentionally slaughtering countless civilians, would be a terrible thing.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back