Will an American President Ever Apologize for the Atomic Bombings of Japan?

Was Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb right?

• Total voters
When you think about it, death is death, and it's hard to say that one is really more terrible than another. The fire bombing raids were probably as destructive as the atomic bombs, and victims there probably suffered no less than at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Is dying of radiation poisoning worse than dying later of burns - either is horrible.

In the late 70's a friend told me about the morning that he walked back in his house to tell his mother that there were two suns in the sky; he lived in Kure (where we were at the time) - just over ten miles from ground zero. To him it happened and he didn't assess blame; but for me, I'll always think of the little boy who saw two suns.

True. And many people don't realize the atrocities that Japan inflicted upon the Chinese, amongst others.

The whole people of Japan....from Hideki Tojo, all the way down to the lowest civilian, were invested in "empire" mentality....more so than Germany.

Civilians back home were just as much soldiers as the front line infantry...

True. And many people don't realize the atrocities that Japan inflicted upon the Chinese, amongst others.

The whole people of Japan....from Hideki Tojo, all the way down to the lowest civilian, were invested in "empire" mentality....more so than Germany.

Civilians back home were just as much soldiers as the front line infantry...

Yes, they were. We cannot reconcile the way that the Japanese could be so brutal yet in a social setting be absolutely polite - it's just not in our nature. With few exceptions Japanese soldiers would not surrender, and they looked at anyone who surrendered to them with contempt - that they should have died rather than surrender. That's a big part of the reason they had no problem working or beating prisoners to death or using swords or bayonets on stragglers on the Bataan Death March. There were probably many more than just the well known suicide cliffs; at the southern end of Okinawa both civilians and military jumped as our forces closed in.

Yes, they were. We cannot reconcile the way that the Japanese could be so brutal yet in a social setting be absolutely polite - it's just not in our nature. With few exceptions Japanese soldiers would not surrender, and they looked at anyone who surrendered to them with contempt - that they should have died rather than surrender. That's a big part of the reason they had no problem working or beating prisoners to death or using swords or bayonets on stragglers on the Bataan Death March. There were probably many more than just the well known suicide cliffs; at the southern end of Okinawa both civilians and military jumped as our forces closed in.
There is a man here in my town who survived the Bataan Death March. I think he is 101 now. He fathered 6 very successful children who wouldn't be here today if those little, ruthless bastards had succeeded. We should drop another couple of nukes on them.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a man here in my town who survived the Bataan Death March. I think he is 101 now. He fathered 6 very successful children who wouldn't be here today if those little, ruthless bastards had succeeded. We should drop another couple of nukes on them.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're a Trump supporter. Holding ill will towards a country in which maybe .01% of the current population was around then?

If I had to guess, I'd say you're a Trump supporter. Holding ill will towards a country in which maybe .01% of the current population was around then?

No, since liberals want to blame me for slavery, I think it's only fair. Besides, when I vacationed in Hawaii, there were a million of the little bastards , and they were rude as Hell. They shoved my wife out of the way so they could take pictures of a damn waterfall. I told them what I thought, but no speak Engrish.

No, since liberals want to blame me for slavery, I think it's only fair. Besides, when I vacationed in Hawaii, there were a million of the little bastards , and they were rude as Hell. They shoved my wife out of the way so they could take pictures of a damn waterfall. I told them what I thought, but no speak Engrish.

So because some people you assume to be Japanese should be nuked because they were rude to your wife and didn't speak English. Got it.

Reactions: 3 people
So obviously the logical thing to do is nuke them all? Seems reasonable.

You're omitting all kinds of steps in the thought process. But, that's what liberals do. As a country Japan is a good ally now. But, they deserved to get nuked. And, they are rude bastards as individuals.

Reactions: 2 people
You're omitting all kinds of steps in the thought process. But, that's what liberals do. As a country Japan is a good ally now. But, they deserved to get nuked. And, they are rude bastards as individuals.

Women can be little freaks though, let's exclude them.

So because some people you assume to be Japanese should be nuked because they were rude to your wife and didn't speak English. Got it.
No. They deserve to be nuked because of the way they treated our prisoners. Being rude as hell merely confirms my decision. What you don't understand is that Sandvol and I are one generation away from the people who suffered their torture. I have family members who were alive for the first 55 years of my life who had to fight them.

I would have liked to have thrown one of the little bastards over the railing at the falls, and I didn't assume they were Japanese. They were Japanese , and about 50 of them came off their tour bus. Maybe all Asians all look alike to you.

I said nothing condoning or opposing the decision to nuke Japan in 1945. I'm pointing out that 72 thinks it is reasonable that we nuke them in 2016 for being rude and speaking Japanese. If you think that is in any way sane you have an issue, but please tell me more about what liberals like me do. Also how in the world are you turning me into the racist 72? It's pretty clear who the bigot in the room is.

I hold grudges. When the American whites are totally forgiven for Indian massacres and slavery, and the Germans are forgiven for the Holocaust, I will consider not nuking the Japs. It is still too fresh for me.

On part of this I agree. I feel no guilt about slavery or the massacres of Indians. I wasnt responsible and neither were my great great great etc grandparents. Which is why I can't understand you holding a grudge towards a group of people who weren't born when WWII was going on.

I hold grudges. When the American whites are totally forgiven for Indian massacres and slavery, and the Germans are forgiven for the Holocaust, I will consider not nuking the Japs. It is still too fresh for me.

You're missing the point. Hold a grudge against the person that bumped into your wife. Hold a grudge against Japanese leaders from the 1940s. Holding a grudge against the entire nationality is not merited.

They may seem rude to you, but understand that there is a big difference in culture. A lot of things about our culture seem rude to others. People just need to accept each culture has different norms and that all of us and none of us are rude.

Reactions: 4 people
I said nothing condoning or opposing the decision to nuke Japan in 1945. I'm pointing out that 72 thinks it is reasonable that we nuke them in 2016 for being rude and speaking Japanese. If you think that is in any way sane you have an issue, but please tell me more about what liberals like me do. Also how in the world are you turning me into the racist 72? It's pretty clear who the bigot in the room is.
I take it you don't get tongue in cheek humor. I really don't like them , but I certainly wouldn't nuke anybody......well, maybe the Arabs......and the Jews.

Are you for real? If so, 72 should have thrown you over the rail with the rude little Jap.
I'm sure 72 think's it's reasonable to nuke the Japs in 2016...... Good grief

You're missing the point. Hold a grudge against the person that bumped into your wife. Hold a grudge against Japanese leaders from the 1940s. Holding a grudge against the entire nationality is not merited.

They may seem rude to you, but understand that there is a big difference in culture. A lot of things about our culture seem rude to others. People just need to accept each culture has different norms and that all of us and none of us are rude.

Enough of this double standard BS Huff..... You enjoy watching Godzilla destroy Tokyo as much as the rest of us.

Are you for real? If so, 72 should have thrown you over the rail with the rude little Jap.
I'm sure 72 think's it's reasonable to nuke the Japs in 2016...... Good grief
Google Akaka Falls. The bottom of that is where that little slant eyed bastard that shoved my wife out of the way nearly wound up.

A lot of the rest of the world thinks Americans as individuals are rude bastards too. With posters like 72 and Sandy, I can't blame 'em for that too much.. :) sounds like he was in good, familiar company in Hawaii.

VN Store

Back