Why won't Bajakian's offense work in the SEC?

Funny how Chris Scott, Vlad Richard, Jarrod Shaw and Aaron Douglas never get mentioned but the Sullins bros always do.

Not sure where you are going with this but Scott was the only one drafted in the 5th round. He's only played in maybe a handful of NFL games. Mostly a practice squad player. Shaw and Vlad only started 3 games and Douglas was a RS Freshman.

Agree. Worley is no threat to run because the staff doesn't want him hurt. Defenses are keying on the run, getting us in 3rd and long and blitzing our inexperienced Oline. Throw away or sack. Punt. Its actually a pretty easy offense to scheme against without the threat of a mobile QB.

normally I would agree with you but Worley is getting killed on pass plays . Do him a favor and Tell him to run the ball at-least once a game that way he can see whats going to hit him. I don't want Butch to be arm-chairing me so I put this on CB and his play calls .

I completely agree that we do not have the talent needed for a thriving offense.
However, the job of the oc is to design an offense around the team you have and play to to its strengths and minimize the effect of its weaknesses.
Running delays and read option runs with an no mobile qb ( who I actually thing is doing a fine job considering) with an Oline that cannot get a push is failure before the snap! ( no matter how good your running back is - and I actually think Hurd is a bad a$$)
Next the long ball pass requires time which our lack of experience and talent on Oline cannot give right now. Especially if you attack it with the complex blitz schemes that OU and the sec are known for.
In short.... Our oc is not getting it done. The blame is not on the line its on the play calling.

It will work in the SEC with a real SEC offensive line and a mobile QB.
Right now UT doesn't have either one.
UT going to a bowl this year is probably not going to happen, I see 5-7 or 4-8 for this team with the schedule....maybe next year or the year after.

When the entire D knows our QB is never going to keep and run, they just stack up on the one back and blitz and take what little risk there is. As sturdy as Jalen is, he's on track for injury, as there are just too many attackers gunning for him on every play. Florida drew up the blueprint here, as simple as it is, and expect every team we play to follow suite. There is NO read option when everyone knows our QB is NOT going to run. This has to change, starting yesterday!!!
Finally, someone on VN actually understands what is happening out there on the field. Well said young man.

Okay. What are the offensive strengths of a team with basically no o-line? Sweep plays and screens mix in some slants and some draw plays. If you have been watching, that is bascially what we do. Its all we can do. When those get stopped and we ended up in 3rd and 8+ we basically have no shot against any good defense.

I'm not ready to throw stones like many others at the OC.... but Cut got UT to the SEC CG with dink and dunk in 2007. He couldn't protect Ainge and didn't have WR's that could stretch the field.

If I were going to pick at anything so far it would be that UT has underutilized the short passing game. Bajakian seems to somehow forget about if for stretches... but it has been the most effective part of the O.

Reactions: 1 person
TN could easily be a different team with 2-3 more experienced O-linemen.

Last week the Pats were dominated by KC and the talk around Boston was Brady and Bill are washed up and the dynasty is over...

Well their oline was playing terrible as they had something like 2 rookies and a journeymen starting

Pats get two O-Linemen back from IR and now only 1 rookie sarts, Immediately their line improves drastically protecting Brady and establishing a running game. Now they look like the same old playoff team and possible superbowl contenders...

again TN could easily be a much different team with 2-3 more experienced O-linemen.... but until we recruit depth at all positions is gonna be hard to win in the SEC with a central part of the team being undermanned.

And I'm not bashing the O-line's skill; it's simply the fact that they are young kids playing against more mature young men dlineman IMO

Our spread attack is nothing like MSU's or Auburn's, and we don't have a QB anything like Kenny Miles.
Kenny Miles?

You missed the point however. There are teams that run spread attacks with success in the SEC. Leak a few years ago was not a running QB and he succeeded in UM's spread which DID require a running QB. Jones' system by his own words doesn't require a running QB. He wants a manager and ball distributor first. That has worked for the Ol' Ball Coach at USCe... with or without a running QB. Vandy succeeded with a version of it under Franklin. Mizzou doesn't ask their QB to run it very much by design. Even UGA runs out of a spread formation alot now.

and because our line is bad
Until this is resolved.... no one short of Cam Newton will make a big difference at QB.

We could roll the pocket but apparently Worley is awful at that,
Based on? The few times he's done it, he's throw it well. But when you roll the pocket you basically allow the D to only defend half the field. Plus, you expose your QB to even more hits.

but what I'd like us to do is run under center and with Wolf and Helm on the field more often. It takes away part of what we do well, but how it helps us will be two fold. Run more traps, more stretch plays, more counters.
And you really think this will work any better with the current OL? The design of Jones' spread is to help OL's by opening up some natural splits and lanes. Do you really want to ask these guys to pull or think they can be trusted to hold blocks long enough for stretch plays to work?

Open up a real play action, and even on regular passing plays, you can more easily set a pocket. But most importantly, you get your 6'3" 225 pound battering ram running north and south, and much quicker than he has been.
You can't continue to ask Hurd to block for himself. It doesn't matter if you run the spread, ace, I, veer, wishbone, single wing,.... eventually you have to have the OL open a hole so your RB is being physical with DB's rather than 270 lb DL's.

If we had a quarterback that was a threat to run it would at least slow the rush down and negate a lot of the blitzes. A bad Ol and a statue for a qb is not a good combination. I don't blame Worley though he can't magically turn into a DT quarterback.

The "issue" cannot be pin pointed to any one specific reason. I personally think it's more of a conglomeration that is anchored by issues surrounding the offensive line being blown backwards every play.

But with time, we'll be fine :rock:

Like others have said, it's the offensive line. I think 2 of them were playing high school ball last year and the others are rs freshmen. They have not had the time in the S&C program to be able to go against juniors, seniors, and 5th year seniors. They are just getting manhandled too often. In another year, that won't happen as much.

i think the main reason the offense hasn't worked, thus far, is because we lack a dual-threat at QB. The Def. are pinning they're ears back and going str8 for the RB. w/o a lack of a running threat @ QB, it's a major factor of our offensive woes.

It's the play calling. Delay, delay, screen, repeat

For the life of me I can't scream it loud enough but....THIS!!!!!

If I'm a defense and I get us in 3 and long, you bet your bottom dollar I'm bringing the house! All we shown for the past 3 games were a 3 to 5 step drop and look for someone 12 to 15 yards down the field. The oline obviously cannot handle that type of blitz. But if you run an occasional screen or delay it'll make them more honest. Bottom line, 3 and long play calling is the worst I've ever seen. Set us up for failure time and time again.

It won't work because Bajakian is here. He's not cutting it. He's getting worse, it would appear.

They'll run out up on Chattanooga and then try to say ALL IS WELL. Nothing new.

Yep, its the play caller, not the plays. Look, I like Mike as a person, and truly believe he is an intelligent dude. However, he just $hit$ the bed every time we are in a crucial situation. He "over-thinks" the obvious and make the absolute worst play call. It is so frustrating to watch. Just go with your gut dude!

I think we are missing Smith and Pearson more than anyone would like to admit. Smith runs good routes and gets open and Pearson is dangerous to leave 1 on 1 against a DB as he has some wiggle and big play potential. The other WR don't seem to get open. I would love to see a fade route or a timing route to some of them. They are all tall guys and yet we don't seem do it. Another thing we could do is put some air under the ball (throw it 30-40 yards) and let our fast receivers run under it. Another thing could be to change the cadence at the line. Andrew Luck (Colt QB) is really good at doing this and he gets 2-3 free plays every game off the D. That would slow the rush down. Instead of looking at the coaches to see if the play needs to be changed, line up and run the play at different times on the play clock..

It will go the way of the wishbone offense. By the time allot of teams have come around to using it, every team has learned how to defense it. Get some offensive linemen in here, line up, and play some power football.

Well the O line is having lots of trouble just go to the old hit the man in front of you approch or hell hit anyone on the other team don't just stand their hell hit their coaches, band members I don't care just hit something LOL

VN Store

Back