Why won't Bajakian's offense work in the SEC?

Aesius

Serious thread--I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

Is it because SEC defenses are too big and fast?

Is it because the scheme itself is inherently flawed?

Is it because it only works against MAC and Big East opponents?

Or is the problem not the scheme but simply it being a poor match with our current personnel combined with untimely play calls?

Or is the problem not the scheme but simply it being a poor match with our current personnel combined with untimely play calls?

Honestly, your best answer is probably in the thread asking if anyone knows the offense and how it works. Someone in there broke it down quite nicely.

It worked for 32 points on the road at Georgia. We had one bad game, and are playing with a JV oline. Last year, people were crying about Jancek and Martinez being UGA rejects that wouldn't be successful in the SEC....now they love him. Talent has a way of doing that. Be patient!

Reactions: 23 people
The scheme works absolutely fine with a mobile qb, but is mediocre without one. It's that simple, imo.

Reactions: 3 people
With the right players nearly any proven scheme can work. Dogmatic use of any scheme without said players may produce less than stellar results however. Best analogy I can give that fans will remember is us switching to the Sunseri 3-4. We all remember how that turned out.

Plays take too long to develop, run game design doesn't match the components, we rarely utilize our best pieces, we don't minimize our weaknesses, we don't adjust to what the defense is doing, and we panic when we frequently panic are not in a good down and distance.

Reactions: 3 people
UT does not have a functioning offensive line. They cannot protect the passer and cannot open run lanes. The only good run attack UT has had this year has been Hurd blocking for himself and Young attacking the edge with good blocking from the WR's. (underutilized IMO).

With just a mediocre OL, this is a 3-2 or 4-1 team.

SOOOO.... your answer is that it isn't the scheme. Look around. TAM, MSU, and Aub run something similar. They're among the best O's in the SEC. Others run some other version of the spread with success.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It worked for 32 points on the road at Georgia. We had one bad game, and are playing with a JV oline. Last year, people were crying about Jancek and Martinez being UGA rejects that wouldn't be successful in the SEC....now they love him. Talent has a way of doing that. Be patient!

Exactly. We have the receivers to run the offense, just don't have the OL or QB. Its going to take time. Deal with it or go jump on a bandwagon.

Reactions: 2 people
It works fine when you have the right talent.

Lane Kiffin did way way more with much less. He exploited the defense's weaknesses, and found strengths in our offense that nobody even thought of. Everybody talks about what he did with Crompton, but he got Hardesty and Moore an NFL check as well.

Reactions: 4 people
It may in a couple of years. That's about how long it's going to take with our current situation. No QB and no OLine are big hills to climb in a short amount of time.. 2016 is my prediction if it ever works..

Exactly. We have the receivers to run the offense, just don't have the OL or QB. Its going to take time. Deal with it or go jump on a bandwagon.

If Worley isn't the right kind of QB, someone better tell Jones. Dormady is very similar in style. He doesn't run much either. Worley may be more mobile based on the limited game video I've seen of Dormady.

The problem begins and ends with the OL... and that primarily one position. UT doesn't have a true LT that's ready to play.

I do agree that we should be patient and wait for effective players, but a good OC calls to his unit's strengths.

Okay. What are the offensive strengths of a team with basically no o-line? Sweep plays and screens mix in some slants and some draw plays. If you have been watching, that is bascially what we do. Its all we can do. When those get stopped and we ended up in 3rd and 8+ we basically have no shot against any good defense.

Reactions: 1 person
UT does not have a functioning offensive line. They cannot protect the passer and cannot open run lanes. The only good run attack UT has had this year has been Hurd blocking for himself and Young attacking the edge with good blocking from the WR's. (underutilized IMO).

With just a mediocre OL, this is a 3-2 or 4-1 team.

SOOOO.... your answer is that it isn't the scheme. Look around. TAM, MSU, and Aub run something similar. They're among the best O's in the SEC. Others run some other version of the spread with success.
I completely agree about young and the edges. It's not been discussed at all but he can make that edge quick enough yet we don't utilize. He was a brief spark Saturday. I think the issue with him must be blocking. A 2 back set with him would be effective IMO. That's one thing I am not a fan off us not mixing it up more but that's not scheme based it's play calling.

If Worley isn't the right kind of QB, someone better tell Jones. Dormady is very similar in style. He doesn't run much either. Worley may be more mobile based on the limited game video I've seen of Dormady.

The problem begins and ends with the OL... and that primarily one position. UT doesn't have a true LT that's ready to play.

Agree but for all we know Dormady is being recruited to be Dobbs' back up the next 3 years.

Okay. What are the offensive strengths of a team with basically no o-line? Sweep plays and screens mix in some slants and some draw plays. If you have been watching, that is bascially what we do. Its all we can do. When those get stopped and we ended up in 3rd and 8+ we basically have no shot against any good defense.

We do get some running lanes but I am noticing they are cut back and bounce out opportunities. I think some scat back style runs might work better than the delayed bruising style.

Florida tried every way to give us that game. We were too young to execute the plays that were called. Give UF credit for half time game adjustments.

The coaches are fine, the players are fine, just young. Take your lumps, lick your wounds and "snap and clear".

Reactions: 1 person

Spot on.

We've been running slants? I remember one to Malone on Saturday. That's it.
Other than that, Bajakian seems to avoid the middle of the field. It seems he likes to call plays that take too long to develop. Then again, our receivers may not be getting good seperation.

I think it will work fine with a better/more mature offensive line. It is truly our Achilles heel right now, IMO.

We do get some running lanes but I am noticing they are cut back and bounce out opportunities. I think some scat back style runs might work better than the delayed bruising style.
Well, we don't have any scat backs. We have more powerful backs. So that squashes that.

VN Store

Back