Why was 2009 a bust?

So what your saying is that the Staff at Auburn is obviously better at building relationships with potential recruits much better than our $5mil plus staff?

And just for kickers they did it with less time than we did. So far they are ranked at the #18 spot on rivals and we are down at #23.

So you are saying that we should have kept all of the players that the staff thought wouldn't start, and also should have signed the guys that were begging to get a chance to play in Knoxville, just to climb the Rivals rankings in order to please the near-sighted pleople like you? :crazy:

Fortunately people like you are not in any position of authority reguarding our football team. If there were, then we would be stealing commits from Troy, SW Missouri State, The Citadel............. just to say that we have a higher Rivals ranking. Instead we stole players from FL and AL.

If we wanted to do it your way, we would have kept Fulmer to win Recruiting Championships only to put out sub .500 Football teams.

after seeing the threads you start, I doubt it.

What because I believe we underachieved this year in recruiting? No matter how you slice it, we swung and missed on several players. I believe that next year we will improve but falling behind 2 years in a row to the top teams in the SEC is never good.
I know that I shouldnt have this conversation with a person who has the mental capacity of a fry cook but thats what message boards are for.

The problem was only having a staff in place for 2 months.
Saban was in place barely a month prior to signing his first class... #10 in the country, #7 in SEC.

Chizik and company scored the #18 class this year in even less time than CLK had.

The problem was a piss-poor season last year.
Auburn was also 5-7 this year. Bama was 6-7 the year before Saban took over and lost to Okie St in a minor bowl.

The problem was an anemic offense with no help on the depth charts.
Auburn's O was as bad as UT's this year. Bama avgd 22 ppg in the year prior to Saban taking over.

ummmm..... Do you think this class helps depth at the places it is needed most?

Jesus, why is this so hard to understand?
Nothing you said is difficult to understand... it just doesn't hold water. Supposedly lesser coaches have done better with equal or worse circumstances.

I still hold out hope that CLK will do well... but he didn't get off to a great start with this class and recruiting effort.

Before you start throwing stones... do you think CLK thinks of this class as a success having missed on his #1 priority?

Last edited:
What because I believe we underachieved this year in recruiting? No matter how you slice it, we swung and missed on several players. I believe that next year we will improve but falling behind 2 years in a row to the top teams in the SEC is never good..

Exactly. Bama has been #1 for two years running now and has quality depth everywhere.

How long will CLK actually get before losses to Bama cost him his job? I'm not assuming he'll lose but they are way, way ahead on talent right now. The ground won't be made up in 1 or 2 classes.

how can anyone let a 6th ranked class slip to this?

I'll take that as sarcasm because I just can't imagine anyone would be seriously book an early season ranking based on leans and soft verbals as gospel.

It is very possible that Fulmer's staff would have ended up better than this class but then you'd have Fulmer's staff coaching and developing(not) them.

We have two milestones to grade CLK on:
1. Next year's team performance
2. Next year's recruiting class

If next year's team lays an egg and next years recruiting class is sub par than it was a bad hire. Until then it's just a bunch of flapping gums.

Exactly. Bama has been #1 for two years running now and has quality depth everywhere.

How long will CLK actually get before losses to Bama cost him his job? I'm not assuming he'll lose but they are way, way ahead on talent right now. The ground won't be made up in 1 or 2 classes.

and the ground wasn't lost just this year...it's been an issue in the making for a few years now. This class stopped some of the bleeding, we'll see how this dream team does with a chance to show their product on the field and a full year to build relationships.

Well first off even with so-called Top 10 classes or high rated classes in the past what was our end result...Hmmmmm.

You can put it down, by the time CLK & Staff gets done ith actually coaching these kids they'll be playing like a Top 10 class.

hey i am thankful for what we got.better than what we got last year.i think you can take those stars for what they are worth.a five star next to their name aint no automatic.these kids we got today have one thing going they got coaches to bring them along.not what weve had around here in a while

SJT18 Saban was in place barely a month prior to signing his first class... #10 in the country, #7 in SEC.

Scout.com had Alabama at #22 in 2007 but regardless his class was bolstered by 3 star guys from the state of Alabama. Just like UT this year (so far anyway) Saban didn't sign a single 5 star player in his first year. Kiffin could have taken a few more 3 star guys and made the class look better but he chose to save the scholarships for next year.

Saban was in place barely a month prior to signing his first class... #10 in the country, #7 in SEC.

Chizik and company scored the #18 class this year in even less time than CLK had.

If we dont tell Boyd, Thigpen, DT Shackelford to explore other options and if we cast out a net and tried to rope in as many 3-stars as we could have then we would have taken just as many players as Auburn and our class would be "better according to rivals." But we have bigger plans than that. Quit using Auburn as some example of how poor we recruited. Kiffin took a different tactic than Auburn. He wants great players and thinks he can get that next year. Now will his decision to use that tactic work? We will see a year from now I guess.

What because I believe we underachieved this year in recruiting? No matter how you slice it, we swung and missed on several players. I believe that next year we will improve but falling behind 2 years in a row to the top teams in the SEC is never good.
I know that I shouldnt have this conversation with a person who has the mental capacity of a fry cook but thats what message boards are for.

oh yee of little faith...and i.q.
:)

Guys this class has athletes on the edge that can win one on one battles. True we have some ground to make up in the trenches but Jacques Smith is the start of that for us. The Vols are coming and I won't be surprised if we beat Bama and beat them handily. Our D will be good real good. You guys will find out soon enough about this class.

I think that now we got JJ, this class has been seriously saved and now there are rumors of even another player we might get (Oku or BB). This would round out a nice class.
I like the start we have gotten on Smith as well.

Guys this class has athletes on the edge that can win one on one battles. True we have some ground to make up in the trenches but Jacques Smith is the start of that for us. The Vols are coming and I won't be surprised if we beat Bama and beat them handily. Our D will be good real good. You guys will find out soon enough about this class.

I definately agree about the secondary guys. I am concerned a bit by not having a lot of offensive players. I have to admit that I was pissed after the MB pick. Making him the top priority and missing was hard to take. However, CLK and staff did nicely getting Nuke and Myles and now JJ. Hopefully we get Oku or BB and maybe the WR who is out there right now (cant remember his name).

I think that now we got JJ, this class has been seriously saved and now there are rumors of even another player we might get (Oku or BB). This would round out a nice class.
I like the start we have gotten on Smith as well.

Thank Jesus JJ saved this class from being a big pile of horse manure. One player with five stars next to his name and this class is awesome. What a joke.

Thank Jesus JJ saved this class from being a big pile of horse manure. One player with five stars next to his name and this class is awesome. What a joke.

I never mentioned awesome. And yes, signing JJ did help round out this class and make it much better. JJ is an impact player who can contribute from the start.

VN Store

Back