Why the lack of love for Hooker and infatuation with Levis in CBS mock draft

This list is trash. Levis and Richardson both are not going in the top 10. Whatever GM picks them in the top 10 will end up getting fired with a year or 2 afterwards. So no Tennessee player in the 1st round in this list is comical. The Reece Senior Bowl director has said Darnell Wright is the most improved lineman in the country. Wright was also graded at 92.1 last week which is high than any lineman in the country this week. Hyatt, Tillman, and Wright e all going in the 1st round with Hooker and Young a possible late 1st round to early 2nd round.

This list is trash. Levis and Richardson both are not going in the top 10. Whatever GM picks them in the top 10 will end up getting fired with a year or 2 afterwards. So no Tennessee player in the 1st round in this list is comical. The Reece Senior Bowl director has said Darnell Wright is the most improved lineman in the country. Wright was also graded at 92.1 last week which is high than any lineman in the country this week. Hyatt, Tillman, and Wright e all going in the 1st round with Hooker and Young a possible late 1st round to early 2nd round.

I don't think Hyatt and Tillman are going 1st round, but if the mock draft is updated a GM drafting either of them in the 1st round is a job killer.

Hooker's main strength, IMO, is his decision making ability. His physical skills are fine, but not his main strength. But he is amazing at surveying the field and making the right decision.

I think NFL scouts consistently underestimate the mental aspect of being a QB, which is a huge part of it for the "new shiny thing" physical skills.

Additionally, the site brags about being one of the first to identify Levis as first round, so maybe they are invested. They also seem to be valuing his contributions last season more than this. Finally, I doubt they had time to factor in Saturdays' game when Levis just looked pitiful.

The worst part of that site though, is that they still have AR ahead of Hooker. That should be punishable by a fine. :D

Levis just makes bone-headed plays - e.g. lowering his shoulder and crashing into the LOS in the red zone for a 2-yd loss when he could throw the ball away; hanging receivers out to dry; throwing back across the field into tight coverage. He plays Ike a poorly coached HS senior not a college senior. Agree that choosing him in the first round will be the end of a GM.

I think Levi’s still have their place. I mean the 501’s are still good. They just haven’t kept up with the times.

Kind of like Kentucky…….stuck in the past. Still usable in certain situations.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
One thing that hurts Hooker is his age. I think he is almost 25. CJ Stroud is 4 years younger and Richardson is about 3 years younger. I have no idea how old Levi’s is.
I guess (and I disagree with it but it is not my money) they weigh potential a lot more than how they are playing now.

Reactions: GDV and JBVolunteer
There are so, so many mediocre QBs in the NFL. I don't get how this all works, anymore.
NFL caliber QB’s are about as plentiful as quality college football coaches. In no other universe would Levis and Kiffin be seriously looked at as the best possibilities to take teams to the promised land.

Its his size…some of these folks doing the projections need to watch him play and they’ll see that the speed of the game in SEC play is already more than Levis can handle - he will be a disaster in the NFL. Strong arms are great but when you’re late seeing the field and throwing the ball you take a lot of sacks and throw a lot of picks. One play from last Saturday stood out to me regarding Levis. We blitzed him and had a rusher coming free from his right side…and he had his RB wide open in the right flat (I guess the LB coming in left a hole in the zone) but he held the ball and took a sack. It was just too fast for him. A good QB makes a quick read and gets the ball out the wide open RB. He reminds me of JG in terms of the speed with which he processes the game - like an old dial up modem.

Reactions: lynnh and VAVol85
I think the big difference between Hooker & Levis is calmness under fire. Levis is quick to panick. It may be to fast for him because he is not calm to click thru his progressions.

Reactions: Sarms58
The byline lists this article as being a day old, but these projections are dated.

Even then, you’ll have the senior bowl, the combine, pro day, etc as part of the process. But as far as on the field performance goes, Levis is a 3rd/4th rounder in my opinion. And oh, he’s only a year younger than Hooker. Hooker runs this offense, and the NFL guys will know that.

Reactions: LittleVol
Most college quarterbacks in major programs have the physical tools to play in the NFL. Some more than others obviously.

What sets an elite player apart from a. Good player is between the ears. How quickly they can read the coverage, how they understand the protection and routes, and how they manage to snap and clear when a bad oaky happens.

Watch the great players. They play with passion but are not emotional if that makes sense.

Why the lack of love?

Maybe because the NFL doesn't value QB's who can throw accurately to all levels, escape, manage a pocket, make super-quick decisions, read coverages, etc.... and lead a huddle.

My best guess is that some of these "draft" experts are going to be surprised when the dust settles.

One thing that hurts Hooker is his age. I think he is almost 25. CJ Stroud is 4 years younger and Richardson is about 3 years younger. I have no idea how old Levi’s is.
I guess (and I disagree with it but it is not my money) they weigh potential a lot more than how they are playing now.

NFL scouts want to act like Hooker is Chris Weinke back there to their own peril; that’s on them. Not saying Hooker will be a HOF QB by any stretch but I for damn sure know Will Levis and Anthony Richardson are not better prospects than Hendon.

Reactions: mpfvol
I suspect they feel he's a product of CJH's system. He'll get his chance--he's always had to prove everybody wrong.

This. Levis is more of a pro style pocket qb. Analysts and scouts don’t see a NFL team running Heupel’s style of offense, so they discredit Hendon a little. In any case, that’s why there’s a combine. He’s already a legend in orange and white regardless. If they can do the unthinkable this year we may see Hendon Hooker Drive and Jalin Hyatt Way.

Reactions: DonDiego and 67Vol

VN Store

Back