Why The Heup Will Have Us Winning

I'm not buying in on Heupel but the kids do seem ready to play and they have some fight in them finally. That is a good sign. My biggest concern with him is why did so many kids opt out at UCF? It seems like he could have kept more on board and maybe had a great season but they bailed. Likewise, I'm sure he fought but we lost so many players to the portal. They can't all have been eating at McDonald's. It seems he could have kept some on-board. Maybe he did and more were about to leave than we realize? Anyway the players here now seem to be giving their all and that's refreshing to see.
Most of, if not all, of the players who left UT likely didn't get to know him

Most of, if not all, of the players who left UT likely didn't get to know him

That's very possible. The players seeing the field now seem very motivated to give their all. I do believe he is doing very well with what he has. I guess I would be more assured if he had pulled a few kids back from the brink. Maybe he did, who knows.

Assuming he turns into a top notch recruiter, something he’s never been anywhere, that’s great he’s so positive and heart warming. The sad truth is it doesn’t matter how great he calls plays or how corny/sweet he is. The players at bama/Uga/Florida/LSU etc run through walls too and they’re light years more talented than our guys. We’re battling vandy in recruiting. We get less talented every year while the big boys get more talented. Until we hire a staff that can compete in living rooms with real SEC recruiters, all that feel good corny stuff is beyond irrelevant. You’re either an elite recruiter or you’re not.
They can still throw cash around. We can’t…

He will recruit well when players here are supported by NIL to the tune of $. The truth is, Georgia has a huge advantage in this arena because of Atlanta. NIL, I believe will end up being Bama's downfall. State population and Auburn will pull away the potential $ that kid's will make. USCw and UCLA could become future powerhouses. We could benefit from UT being a huge brand statewide...with increasing population and statewide popularity.
Regarding Los Angeles, I’m kind of leaning towards there not being a huge advantage of NIL of college football players. I would think the smaller sports markets in the south and Midwest benefitting most. LA has 2 pro football teams, 2 NBA teams, baseball, and etc. I’m not so sure college players are gonna be recognizable to many or sought after for advertising. Then again, I don’t claim to be a marketer, nor have I stayed at holiday inn for a while.

Reactions: kcvols1
Troll- a Person who points out common sense facts to fans who pretend they haven’t watched the same knock-off/low budget film for the last decade.
Here's some common sense....Rodney Garner is the real deal. We started to slump when he left. We need a few cycles of talent to see where the recruiting lands overall. Getting this team to be kicking a FG to tie FL at half is a win. Recruits can see that....early playing time in the SEC is a sell. Our D is a huge surprise while you all talk about his great play calling. We don't have a choice, but being supportive is a start....

He didn’t recruit well at UCF. They got worse with him as coach, not better. No other school wanted JH. His staff is arguably the worst in the sec besides Vandy. Recruiting next year is looking like the worst since Dooley forgot OL players existed. The year after that we’re not in on any of the heavy hitters in recruiting. It has nothing to do with the ncaa sanctions which will be a slap on the wrist and a one year bowl ban that’s irrelevant anyway. We hired a no name coach that nobody wanted, who’s as bland as sugar free vanilla ice cream. Brings no excitement. No success from previous stops to be excited about. It’s Dooley 2.0. A rushed last minute hire-that nobody else wanted. A history of subpar recruiting. There’s nothing to sell with this guy. He’s boring. Can’t recruit. Can’t sell season tickets. The same people who are saying “just be positive” are the same people who will calling for his head by 2022. It’s the same movie as Dooley. Just more obvious. Imagine JH going into a recruits living room after saban and dabo.. that’s embarrassing to UT. On every level. But embarrassing/lame and corny are the new UT. Just fake hype and “by god I believe in this guy, he’s different” LOL
Here's where you're wrong.

Heupel's recruiting classes ranked the same if not a little better than Frosts and he has sent multiple guys to the NFL.

Every single loss he had was in single digits. Even to Cininnati that lost to UGA by a hair.

Ummmm WE ARE LITERALLY IN THE TOP THREE WITH THE NUMBER ONE RECRUIT IN THE NATION WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

We have 4 star Tayven Jackson coming in, 4 star Addison Nichols and other solid guys.

All of that in spite of the fact that our program has been in and out of a dumpster fire for 15 years, just had a three win joke of a season, and an NCAA cloud over our heads.

All that and he has won nothing yet.

So you're talking outta your rectum. Who the hell could we have gotten that could recruit at a top 10 level right now? With all this mess?

Worst staff in the SEC other than Vandy? Huh? Have you looked at our guys resumes? Vast amounts of experience including arguably the best defensive line coach in the country. So based on what are you saying we have the second worst staff in the SEC? What about Kentucky's, Mizzou's and USCjr's coaching staffs are so much better?

JH embarrassing? "Gosh UT's coach is some loser from Oklahoma who won a national title as the QB and was the Heisman runner up. What an embarrassment to Tennessee"

You just want to get attention from gloating out the worst possible perception of the program. Your logic is unfounded and unreasonably negative.

Freeze would have a top 10 class in Knoxville. Doesn’t matter how you feel about him personally. He is a media star and talent gravitates to stars. Hoople may be a great play caller, but he’s no star, which means he’s gotta earn it on the field without talent through luck and pluck before he’s gonna get the talent necessary for sustained success in this conference. It’s a tall order and I really doubt it happens. Nothing personal against Hoople. Vols had a chance but lacked vision and balls to do the one thing that all their rivals feared. Everyone else took a big sigh of relief when Vols hired Hoople. We will be back on the coach search in 2025.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
He didn’t recruit well at UCF. They got worse with him as coach, not better. No other school wanted JH. His staff is arguably the worst in the sec besides Vandy. Recruiting next year is looking like the worst since Dooley forgot OL players existed. The year after that we’re not in on any of the heavy hitters in recruiting. It has nothing to do with the ncaa sanctions which will be a slap on the wrist and a one year bowl ban that’s irrelevant anyway. We hired a no name coach that nobody wanted, who’s as bland as sugar free vanilla ice cream. Brings no excitement. No success from previous stops to be excited about. It’s Dooley 2.0. A rushed last minute hire-that nobody else wanted. A history of subpar recruiting. There’s nothing to sell with this guy. He’s boring. Can’t recruit. Can’t sell season tickets. The same people who are saying “just be positive” are the same people who will calling for his head by 2022. It’s the same movie as Dooley. Just more obvious. Imagine JH going into a recruits living room after saban and dabo.. that’s embarrassing to UT. On every level. But embarrassing/lame and corny are the new UT. Just fake hype and “by god I believe in this guy, he’s different” LOL

Your ignorance is only surpassed by your arrogance.

Reactions: KptVFL
Not to say you are wrong, because you're not. It just puzzled me why is it when we diehard Vols fans have something positive to say regarding our team, some negavol has to rain on our parade. But I think I got it now. They're people who, well, I suppose that..uh, it must be because they're folks who are one of the following or maybe all of them:

1. Turn their cell phone on airplane mode, but it doesn’t fly.
2. Who accidentally kill their dog in Minecraft.
3. Who have no milk for their cereal.
4. Who sneeze, and nobody says, ’’Bless you.’’
5. Who are naturally depressed, yet it somehow makes them happy.

At long, long last, I understand the negavol mentality. Well, cheer up because:
Sun's gonna shine in your backdoor someday
A wind's gonna blow your blues all away
What he said!

Here's where you're wrong.

Heupel's recruiting classes ranked the same if not a little better than Frosts and he has sent multiple guys to the NFL.

Every single loss he had was in single digits. Even to Cininnati that lost to UGA by a hair.

Ummmm WE ARE LITERALLY IN THE TOP THREE WITH THE NUMBER ONE RECRUIT IN THE NATION WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

We have 4 star Tayven Jackson coming in, 4 star Addison Nichols and other solid guys.

All of that in spite of the fact that our program has been in and out of a dumpster fire for 15 years, just had a three win joke of a season, and an NCAA cloud over our heads.

All that and he has won nothing yet.

So you're talking outta your rectum. Who the hell could we have gotten that could recruit at a top 10 level right now? With all this mess?

Worst staff in the SEC other than Vandy? Huh? Have you looked at our guys resumes? Vast amounts of experience including arguably the best defensive line coach in the country. So based on what are you saying we have the second worst staff in the SEC? What about Kentucky's, Mizzou's and USCjr's coaching staffs are so much better?

JH embarrassing? "Gosh UT's coach is some loser from Oklahoma who won a national title as the QB and was the Heisman runner up. What an embarrassment to Tennessee"

You just want to get attention from gloating out the worst possible perception of the program. Your logic is unfounded and unreasonably negative.

When you can name the 4 and 5 * recruits on one hand, that's pretty pathetic in the SEC to be competitive just in your own division.

JH will have to have classes in the top 5 of the SEC or we will be searching again in 4 yrs.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Here's some common sense....Rodney Garner is the real deal. We started to slump when he left. We need a few cycles of talent to see where the recruiting lands overall. Getting this team to be kicking a FG to tie FL at half is a win. Recruits can see that....early playing time in the SEC is a sell. Our D is a huge surprise while you all talk about his great play calling. We don't have a choice, but being supportive is a start....
We have had some freaking great recruiting classes since Garner left. He wasn't at UT for that many years. In fact, most of the best players at UT since the 80s weren't recruited by him.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
I like his leadership. I think we're seeing good coaching all the way from development to playcalling. I think these guys are playing their tails off for this staff.

All that... and he still has an uphill climb. The NCAA stuff needs to die. He MUST find players in the portal. He also needs to improve the quality of their HS recruiting. Through no fault of his, the '21 class faltered. He needs a better class in '22 or the roster won't be there for him to coach up.
It's almost crazy to say, but his whole tenure may ride on pulling a 6-6 year in 2021. Otherwise, the negative recruitment will just continue to pile on between a losing season and NCAA shadow. Recruitment is all about momentum. 6-6 gives you a lot more to pitch at recruits. Agree with you on continuing to bring in transfers. We have to build immediate depth next year. Look at the depth chart and you see a lot of Sr.

I just looked at the mid-state dandy dozen in the Tennessean. They will be attending the following schools. Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Ole Miss, (2) Kentucky and More. See anyone missing? WE HAVE TO RECRUIT BETTER IN THE MID-STATE!
On the other side, this is why I'm hopeful UT Football can be something again. There is a wealth of talent in TN now. We should be able to pull 10-15 kids per class in the border. Knoxville will continue to grow also.

I like the in-state focus, but we're a day late and a dollar short. The 2023 class has about half as many elite (4* and better) in-state prospects as the 2022 class.

Butch was a great recruiter and terrible coach from play calling to development. JH seems like a good coach/play caller. His weakness is recruiting. It has been at every stop. The problem he has is top 10 in recruiting might not be top 6 in the sec. we don’t need a good recruiter to compete in this league, we need an ELITE recruiter. Without that, we’re arguing every fall over 7/8 wins which is irrelevant. UT is sending JH into future NFL players living rooms after saban, dabo, Kirby etc. That’s not a recipe for closing the gap. It’s just making it wider and putting lipstick on it.
I think you missed the point of my post. He does not have to be an elite recruiter to recruit well at Tennessee. Nobody is recruiting like Bama, Clemson and Georgia right now. So he has to show he can win games and then the good recruiting base that the University offers will allow him to be an elite recruiter with some big wins and upsets.

Again, if Butch Jones can recruit here so can Heupel. The difference is we will actually be good because he and our current coaching staff can develop and scheme far better than any coach we have had in recent memory.

So my point is if he can recruit as well as Butch Jones then that will be more than sufficient in the short term until he can make some big wins. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to recruit at that level.

He will recruit well when players here are supported by NIL to the tune of $. The truth is, Georgia has a huge advantage in this arena because of Atlanta. NIL, I believe will end up being Bama's downfall. State population and Auburn will pull away the potential $ that kid's will make. USCw and UCLA could become future powerhouses. We could benefit from UT being a huge brand statewide...with increasing population and statewide popularity.

I dont think NIL will hurt any SEC schools really. Is there more to it than just funneling money from boosters to players through local car dealerships and such? I dont know if population and the other things you mention matter as much as booster networks

We finally have a staff that is going to develop players and make them better, future is seriously looking bright😎

I want to believe in Heupel so bad, but I am tired of being let down, and blow outs by our rivals. That said, I know I'm not alone in that, but it's not like anything I say or do makes a hill of beans to those who call the shots. So, I'm just going to sit back and really pull for Heupel to succeed and bring the Vols back to the national spot light.

I'm officially on board with Heupel. Not that it matters to anyone, but I haven't said that about any of our past couches since we fired Fulmer! Yes I am one of those that called for his head, never dreaming we would shatter, and spiral downwards so far, and this long.

Let go Vols beat the snot out of Mizz.

I wonder how many times this was posted in 2018?
I saw it a number of times. I know you might think this is silly, but the first time I heard, "we done good", early in that first season, I never felt comfortable we had a guy that could get it done.

Edit: how in the hell did Pruitt get hired after a formal interview? Fulmer should NEVER be allowed to come anywhere near this program EVER again

Reactions: hog88
And we know all of this in only 9 months on the job. Can you guys help me out with stock picks? Your future predictive skills appear to be legendary.
Currently, I have a ton of money in UPST, MDB, TTD, and SHOP. What should I be buying?

Reactions: KptVFL
It's almost crazy to say, but his whole tenure may ride on pulling a 6-6 year in 2021. Otherwise, the negative recruitment will just continue to pile on between a losing season and NCAA shadow. Recruitment is all about momentum. 6-6 gives you a lot more to pitch at recruits. Agree with you on continuing to bring in transfers. We have to build immediate depth next year. Look at the depth chart and you see a lot of Sr.
Call me even crazier, but I think his whole tenre comes down to this Saturday in Missouri.

We don't win that we don't go 6-6 and yeah it's gonna be really difficult for him.

If he can't go beat an average Missouri team that gave up 294 yards on the ground to SEMO with a roster that is pretty significantly more talented (if you believe at all in the 247 sports composite) then I don't think he can get it done here.

Reactions: b_gann
Freeze would have a top 10 class in Knoxville. Doesn’t matter how you feel about him personally. He is a media star and talent gravitates to stars. Hoople may be a great play caller, but he’s no star, which means he’s gotta earn it on the field without talent through luck and pluck before he’s gonna get the talent necessary for sustained success in this conference. It’s a tall order and I really doubt it happens. Nothing personal against Hoople. Vols had a chance but lacked vision and balls to do the one thing that all their rivals feared. Everyone else took a big sigh of relief when Vols hired Hoople. We will be back on the coach search in 2025.
Freeze is a loser

Not to say you are wrong, because you're not. It just puzzled me why is it when we diehard Vols fans have something positive to say regarding our team, some negavol has to rain on our parade. But I think I got it now. They're people who, well, I suppose that..uh, it must be because they're folks who are one of the following or maybe all of them:

1. Turn their cell phone on airplane mode, but it doesn’t fly.
2. Who accidentally kill their dog in Minecraft.
3. Who have no milk for their cereal.
4. Who sneeze, and nobody says, ’’Bless you.’’
5. Who are naturally depressed, yet it somehow makes them happy.

At long, long last, I understand the negavol mentality. Well, cheer up because:
A wind's gonna blow your blues all away
Sounds like Colin Robinson from, "What we Do in the Shadows". The Energy Vampire.

VN Store

Back