Why The Heup Will Have Us Winning

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
What Heupel had to say about Calloway's wide open drop, shows we have a coach who knows how to coach. And, I believe, due to that, players will run through brick walls for him. Heup, Heup, hooray!!!!!
“Don’t let a moment define you,” Heupel said. “As you move forward, you get to define those moments. Your practice habits and how you approach everything you do ends up showing up. That’s a young guy that did a lot of really positive things early in training camp. You guys heard me talk about him. Missed some time, has come back, has missed some practices. At the end of the day, when you’re on the field you have to play a little bit cleaner. Did some really positive things the other night, too. The things that weren’t so positive, everybody can see. Continue to come back and be a great competitor and have great practice habits, that will lead to a successful moment when that moment arises.”
Source: Heupel explains his message to Jimmy Calloway after key drop against Florida

I like his leadership. I think we're seeing good coaching all the way from development to playcalling. I think these guys are playing their tails off for this staff.

All that... and he still has an uphill climb. The NCAA stuff needs to die. He MUST find players in the portal. He also needs to improve the quality of their HS recruiting. Through no fault of his, the '21 class faltered. He needs a better class in '22 or the roster won't be there for him to coach up.

I like his leadership. I think we're seeing good coaching all the way from development to playcalling. I think these guys are playing their tails off for this staff.

All that... and he still has an uphill climb. The NCAA stuff needs to die. He MUST find players in the portal. He also needs to improve the quality of their HS recruiting. Through no fault of his, the '21 class faltered. He needs a better class in '22 or the roster won't be there for him to coach up.
How many players did we end up even getting from that class that was HS guys?

Assuming he turns into a top notch recruiter, something he’s never been anywhere, that’s great he’s so positive and heart warming. The sad truth is it doesn’t matter how great he calls plays or how corny/sweet he is. The players at bama/Uga/Florida/LSU etc run through walls too and they’re light years more talented than our guys. We’re battling vandy in recruiting. We get less talented every year while the big boys get more talented. Until we hire a staff that can compete in living rooms with real SEC recruiters, all that feel good corny stuff is beyond irrelevant. You’re either an elite recruiter or you’re not.

Assuming he turns into a top notch recruiter, something he’s never been anywhere, that’s great he’s so positive and heart warming. The sad truth is it doesn’t matter how great he calls plays or how corny/sweet he is. The players at bama/Uga/Florida/LSU etc run through walls too and they’re light years more talented than our guys. We’re battling vandy in recruiting. We get less talented every year while the big boys get more talented. Until we hire a staff that can compete in living rooms with real SEC recruiters, all that feel good corny stuff is beyond irrelevant. You’re either an elite recruiter or you’re not.
False dichotomy. It takes both and especially if you are trying to climb out of the abyss. If all it took was recruiting and specifically recruiting rankings... Jones would still be UT's coach and would have won the East at leas once by year 4.

But it isn't JUST getting good players. It is leadership and all the other things you appear to mock here.

And no... UT isn't battling Vandy in recruiting. That's just dumb.

FWIW, what Heupel does in the portal for the next couple of years will mean more to his success than what he does in the "living rooms" of HS players.

False dichotomy. It takes both and especially if you are trying to climb out of the abyss. If all it took was recruiting and specifically recruiting rankings... Jones would still be UT's coach and would have won the East at leas once by year 4.

But it isn't JUST getting good players. It is leadership and all the other things you appear to mock here.

And no... UT isn't battling Vandy in recruiting. That's just dumb.

FWIW, what Heupel does in the portal for the next couple of years will mean more to his success than what he does in the "living rooms" of HS players.

I agree with the portal being more important now. 100%. The problem is we have a coach nobody’s heard of with a below average staff that can’t recruit. I’m not a big believer in recruiting rankings but yes our current class is one spot ahead of Vanderbilt. This years class will be the worst in a long time. Next years isn’t shaping up to be much better. I like JH as a play caller but expecting him to recruit against saban,Mullen, Kirby, jimbo,dabo etc isn’t fair to him. He’s never been a good recruiter. If you can’t recruit in this league nothing else matters. And the big dogs are recruiting the portal just like us. If other teams get more talented every year and smoke us in recruiting none of that feel good stuff matters. Orange jerseys don’t give you talent. “I can’t coach bad players” nick saban.

How will we know what better is when we take a bunch of JUCOs and transfers? JUCOs and transfers make up most of our playmakers and if they weren't highly rated out of high school they wont have any buzz. What good is popping off in February but failing in October, like the last 3 staffs all did at one point? The first few years if we're taking 17-18 players and still finishing top 25 and then hitting on transfers then will that not be better than getting 7-8 more 4/3 stars with measurables that still need to develop that may or may not take to the college game? I'd rather play the portal, because it's shown much more promise so far, and it's not like all our portal contributors came from solid programs. There's a lot of good players playing at programs that are in flux. We are one of those programs, but in these first couple of years if we can appear to be stable, then there's a lot of benefit to coming to Tennessee if you're one of the few playmakers at an FSU, or Miami or similar. The issue is that it works both ways. But you have to go with the portal in our situation.

Reactions: DonDiego

Not to say you are wrong, because you're not. It just puzzled me why is it when we diehard Vols fans have something positive to say regarding our team, some negavol has to rain on our parade. But I think I got it now. They're people who, well, I suppose that..uh, it must be because they're folks who are one of the following or maybe all of them:

1. Turn their cell phone on airplane mode, but it doesn’t fly.
2. Who accidentally kill their dog in Minecraft.
3. Who have no milk for their cereal.
4. Who sneeze, and nobody says, ’’Bless you.’’
5. Who are naturally depressed, yet it somehow makes them happy.

At long, long last, I understand the negavol mentality. Well, cheer up because:
Sun's gonna shine in your backdoor someday
A wind's gonna blow your blues all away

I agree with the portal being more important now. 100%. The problem is we have a coach nobody’s heard of with a below average staff that can’t recruit.
You can stop saying "we" now... I've read more of your posts.

This isn't a below average staff. Plenty of people have heard of them and if they haven't... their resumes aren't hard to read. You do not have the information to declare that they "can't recruit". Sorry. You just don't. Those results will have to speak for themselves.

I’m not a big believer in recruiting rankings but yes our current class is one spot ahead of Vanderbilt.
Nope. Not likely to end up there either. But again, this cycle is about the portal. UT has a hole behind the guys who will run out of eligibility this year. They have to fill it with Soph/Jr transfers.

This years class will be the worst in a long time.
Can you give me your clairvoyance on next year's corn crop too? I'd like to retire. It is stupid to make concrete, absolute declarations about future events that YOU do not control completely. In fact, if they ended up 10th or whatever they are now and some of those guys play more like their offer list than their "stars"... then things will be just fine.

I like JH as a play caller
Really? I can't find any evidence in your post history that you like him in anyway or UT athletics generally other than some opinions on which uniforms are pretty.

but expecting him to recruit against saban,Mullen, Kirby, jimbo,dabo etc isn’t fair to him.
No it isn't. That's his job. People who have observed him relating to both players and recruits say good things about him.

He’s never been a good recruiter.
How do you know? Has he not signed or recruited players who went on to have high level success... or are you just spewing non-sense specifically because you dislike him and UT athletics?

If you can’t recruit in this league nothing else matters.
If you don't do the other stuff... then recruiting doesn't matter. The last two coaches proved that well enough. Both routinely lost to teams with less talent. Often A LOT less talent.

And the big dogs are recruiting the portal just like us.
No. Not "just like" us. You can stop saying "us" too. The "big dogs" which UT is one even if they're currently down... do not have the same needs or priorities. They may cherry pick the portal some but by and large they have guys that they have developed with talent.

If other teams get more talented every year and smoke us in recruiting none of that feel good stuff matters. Orange jerseys don’t give you talent. “I can’t coach bad players” nick saban.
Only a person abjectly ignorant about the game would call coaching and development much less leadership "feel good stuff".

But this is perfectly consistent with your posting history.... you present your negative assumptions as foregone facts then make declarations about future events as if you "know" something.

Heupel has to build a roster with talent if he wants to win. I'm quite sure he knows that. He according to people around UT who have actually observed him... has the tools to be a very good recruiter. The comments and cultural changes coming from the program support recruiting.

I am not disagreeing that he has to recruit better and do well in the portal... only with your conclusions that he can't.

He will recruit well when players here are supported by NIL to the tune of $. The truth is, Georgia has a huge advantage in this arena because of Atlanta. NIL, I believe will end up being Bama's downfall. State population and Auburn will pull away the potential $ that kid's will make. USCw and UCLA could become future powerhouses. We could benefit from UT being a huge brand statewide...with increasing population and statewide popularity.

Not to say you are wrong, because you're not. It just puzzled me why is it when we diehard Vols fans have something positive to say regarding our team, some negavol has to rain on our parade. But I think I got it now. They're people who, well, I suppose that..uh, it must be because they're folks who are one of the following or maybe all of them:

Two NegaVols fans walking down the road...

Harry Dunne: [a large bus full of gorgeous women in bikinis pull up beside them and three step out]

Bikini Girl: Hi, guys. We're going on a national bikini tour, and we're looking for two oil boys who can grease us off before each competition.

Harry Dunne: You are in luck! There's a town about three miles that way. I'm sure you'll find a couple guys there.

Bikini Girl: [baffled] Okay, thanks.

[the doors close and the bus drives off. After a second, Lloyd turns to Harry]

Lloyd Christmas: Do you realize what you've done?

[they run after the bus]

Lloyd Christmas: HEY! HEY!

Harry Dunne: Lloyd! Lloyd!

[the bus stops and opens the doors]

Lloyd Christmas: [panting] You'll have to excuse my friend. He's a little slow. The town is back *that* way.

How will we know what better is when we take a bunch of JUCOs and transfers? JUCOs and transfers make up most of our playmakers and if they weren't highly rated out of high school they wont have any buzz. What good is popping off in February but failing in October, like the last 3 staffs all did at one point? The first few years if we're taking 17-18 players and still finishing top 25 and then hitting on transfers then will that not be better than getting 7-8 more 4/3 stars with measurables that still need to develop that may or may not take to the college game? I'd rather play the portal, because it's shown much more promise so far, and it's not like all our portal contributors came from solid programs. There's a lot of good players playing at programs that are in flux. We are one of those programs, but in these first couple of years if we can appear to be stable, then there's a lot of benefit to coming to Tennessee if you're one of the few playmakers at an FSU, or Miami or similar. The issue is that it works both ways. But you have to go with the portal in our situation.
I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. Were you disagreeing with me for some reason?

I think you have to recruit HS players too. The best coaches will find the best balance.

In the future, NSD and recruiting rankings will mean a lot less than the do now.

I think G-5 will start to be almost a farm system for P-5.

I guess I can play the act stupid charade our fans take pride in every fall. I can say the power T on the helmet gives you super powers. The truth isn’t positive. The truth is we’re not close to the big boys in the sec talent wise. the truth is we’re getting worse players every cycle while they continue to get the best. JH seems like a great dude and solid OC. Calls a good game. He was a subpar recruiter at UCF. So far he’s recruiting terrible this class and next years. The players we want out of the portal are the same guys bama/Uga/UF want. The only way to win in this league is through recruiting. You know if a guy is a good recruiter before he gets the job. IMO JH would make a good OC. He’s in over his head in this league in recruiting. If the big boys have better players at every position on the field, nothing else matters. I don’t get why lying to ourselves is always the default option on here. It’s weird.

He will recruit well when players here are supported by NIL to the tune of $. The truth is, Georgia has a huge advantage in this arena because of Atlanta. NIL, I believe will end up being Bama's downfall. State population and Auburn will pull away the potential $ that kid's will make. USCw and UCLA could become future powerhouses. We could benefit from UT being a huge brand statewide...with increasing population and statewide popularity.
I think you're reasoning is good. UT and others may play in ATL too but UGA still has an advantage. Wasn't Kiffin trying to run billboards in the ATL area? The quality of football played across the state is high.

UT fan support is significantly stronger than the performance of the program for over a decades. UT is a national brand in spite of that slump. NIL should be very good to UT if fans and supporters get behind it.

Reactions: KptVFL
Two NegaVols fans walking down the road...

Harry Dunne: [a large bus full of gorgeous women in bikinis pull up beside them and three step out]

Bikini Girl: Hi, guys. We're going on a national bikini tour, and we're looking for two oil boys who can grease us off before each competition.

Harry Dunne: You are in luck! There's a town about three miles that way. I'm sure you'll find a couple guys there.

Bikini Girl: [baffled] Okay, thanks.

[the doors close and the bus drives off. After a second, Lloyd turns to Harry]

Lloyd Christmas: Do you realize what you've done?

[they run after the bus]

Lloyd Christmas: HEY! HEY!

Harry Dunne: Lloyd! Lloyd!

[the bus stops and opens the doors]

Lloyd Christmas: [panting] You'll have to excuse my friend. He's a little slow. The town is back *that* way.

Dumb and Dumber. Funny movie.

I just looked at the mid-state dandy dozen in the Tennessean. They will be attending the following schools. Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Ole Miss, (2) Kentucky and More. See anyone missing? WE HAVE TO RECRUIT BETTER IN THE MID-STATE!

I guess I can play the act stupid charade our fans take pride in every fall. I can say the power T on the helmet gives you super powers. The truth isn’t positive. The truth is we’re not close to the big boys in the sec talent wise. the truth is we’re getting worse players every cycle while they continue to get the best. JH seems like a great dude and solid OC. Calls a good game. He was a subpar recruiter at UCF. So far he’s recruiting terrible this class and next years. The players we want out of the portal are the same guys bama/Uga/UF want. The only way to win in this league is through recruiting. You know if a guy is a good recruiter before he gets the job. IMO JH would make a good OC. He’s in over his head in this league in recruiting. If the big boys have better players at every position on the field, nothing else matters. I don’t get why lying to ourselves is always the default option on here. It’s weird.

Well, KnoxVol we're not being stupid, some of us despite the current horror, believe in standing behind our team, and gladly grab hold to any positives we can get or see. And re-reading my post, I admitted there was truth in what you said. jI just didn't see how every doggone time one of us Vols lovers said something positive about our team, a negavol like yourself had to piss on it. That happens a lot on this board and some of us don't like it. BUT, it's a free country, and this is a free board. You said your piece, I said my piece, neither of us engaged in any of the current senseless bang, bang shoot 'em up. And you know, that's good, very good.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back