Why the demand for a rush hire?

Because every other program in the nation can make a competent hire within days but Tennessee drags it out for weeks only to get a coach we have to google to figure out who they are.

The people calling the shots are morons and as long as they have a say so we will always be bottom of the SEC. Like anything else there is a chain of command and if it gets clogged up down the line a hire can’t be made of who the coach wants. I actually would like to see Pruitt give them the finger and quit if they block a good hire. And let Neyland be empty from here on out. I’m so sick of this schools antics when it comes to making a hire. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the SEC.

It's not incompetent to take a week and a half to interview and hire a coordinator

It is when it appears the oc you had was already one foot out the door and then leaves the next day the season ended and we have had over a week to get an OC while others get there hires done in just a few days.

It’s as if no one had a plan for this, and yes that’s exactly what it looks like.

Let’s not forget early signing period is soon and we need to get as many as we can

That's like saying why do I want to feel rushed on draft day. Just give me the 32nd pick that way I'm not rushed to pick between the best available. This might be news to you but other schools are not going to wait on us to hire someone before they go after the same ones we are going after.

Reactions: SobeVol and Devo182
Because every other program in the nation can make a competent hire within days but Tennessee drags it out for weeks only to get a coach we have to google to figure out who they are.

If that were true, there would be very few vacancies - no coaches fired since they would have been competent, and all the "hot" coaches hired last year (the ones you didn't need to Google) would be winners this year. Until Hamilton, Tennessee had competent ADs. The clown show you've seen over the past ten years is what you get when you think a business guy should run the AD. We're back on track with an ex-coach as AD ... it will work out. Some of us have a lot longer history with the UT football program; and while the last ten years have been an abomination, we've got more to base things on The grass isn't greener over there.

Every HC should have a short list for a replacement for any coach he loses....so this is just stupid to not have this wrapped up by now.

Reactions: FLVOL69
Serious question here for those upset at this time about no statement thus far.

**We landed a very good recruit without the OC named. One good RB just decommitted from Michigan and is a heavy lean towards the good guys. That means it’s not fully effecting recruitment at this time.

**The gel that needs to be made with the staff and the new OC could very well be a situation of whether CJP is successful or fired. Why not give him time to make an educated decision after looking at all possibilities first?

**look at the guys we wanted badly last year saying it was doom and gloom if we didn’t get them. Outside of Mullen (whom some didn’t want here) everyone else was barely par or worse imo (I might be missing someone).

I think sometimes we think we can expect things that is not our business. As fans we have the right to expect a good hire that shows improvement. Outside of that shouldn’t we let him use his knowledge to make a very educated hire.

Added question: Why do some think that if we don’t hire who they deem the only choice then we are going to suck? What if said person turned us down? Not because of money but because of what they consider “unrealistic expectations” and not because of the expectations we have but because of how quick our fan base turns on people. I know, I know... every school has it. Let me ask this: how many coaches have we ran out of town in the last 11 years? Yes a lot or all were warranted but we started screaming for their heads early just about every time causing some to lose heart under pressure, which is human nature no matter the money in it as many constantly point out. . My point is expectations is to be present but with social media I think it hasn’t worked positively for us. Some it has.

We need to change the perception that when it comes to attracting quality coaches we seem to have the plague with the top eschelon not giving us a second look. We need someone now with proven success, not an up and comer, not a mid major candidate that bolted but some substance which can give us hope that this nightmare known as UT football is on the road to being over.

If that were true, there would be very few vacancies - no coaches fired since they would have been competent, and all the "hot" coaches hired last year (the ones you didn't need to Google) would be winners this year. Until Hamilton, Tennessee had competent ADs. The clown show you've seen over the past ten years is what you get when you think a business guy should run the AD. We're back on track with an ex-coach as AD ... it will work out. Some of us have a lot longer history with the UT football program; and while the last ten years have been an abomination, we've got more to base things on The grass isn't greener over there.

We fired Butch before Florida fired their coach, they got Mullen before we made a hire and Mullen had been very interested in Tennessee but never got a phone call (Because the only guy Currie was after was freaking Schiano)

I'm not saying that they are all winners, but it certainly isn't a stretch to say that most other programs seem to be able to handle coach searches a lot quicker with better resolutions then we have.

Trust me, I'm well aware that the problems started with Hamilton, I was a voice in the wilderness because I hated the Kiffin hire. But the facts are I didn't really get into following football until I started college at UT, which jus happened to be Fulmer's final year.

So frankly, I've never seen a competent coach search done by UT, and if the rumors are true we still have enough incompetent administrators to muck up our coaching searches.

Except if the rumors are true, its not Pruitt and Fulmer who screwed up this hire.

You believe rumors, and still consider yourself experienced enough to evaluate the situation? Personally, I like the one about the "solid source" who said Freeze would be hired that day ... several days ago.

You believe rumors, and still consider yourself experienced enough to evaluate the situation? Personally, I like the one about the "solid source" who said Freeze would be hired that day ... several days ago.

I don't know what is true or not, but a lot of solid sports writers have said the push back on Freeze is coming from the administration.

We have had more Coaches the last 8 years than $1.00 cups of coffee have gone thru McDonald's drive-thru window! By-In-Large the group has gone on because, this is a tough league to play football and if you don't have high caliber Coaches on your staff, Well you will be looking at another group of coaches looking for a job. Most of us are fed up with this Carousel of coaches and want a proven coach to come in and stay for a while. Nothing more, Nothing less.

Don't remember Alabama in the ten years before Saban, huh?

People don’t remember those years as a lot of Alabama fans these days only became fans after Saban got there and they stared winning again

You just gotta love it though when people who are deep into recency consider themselves steeped in history.

**We landed a very good recruit without the OC named. One good RB just decommitted from Michigan and is a heavy lean towards the good guys. That means it’s not fully effecting recruitment at this time.

**The gel that needs to be made with the staff and the new OC could very well be a situation of whether CJP is successful or fired. Why not give him time to make an educated decision after looking at all possibilities first?

**look at the guys we wanted badly last year saying it was doom and gloom if we didn’t get them. Outside of Mullen (whom some didn’t want here) everyone else was barely par or worse imo (I might be missing someone).

I think sometimes we think we can expect things that is not our business. As fans we have the right to expect a good hire that shows improvement. Outside of that shouldn’t we let him use his knowledge to make a very educated hire.

Added question: Why do some think that if we don’t hire who they deem the only choice then we are going to suck? What if said person turned us down? Not because of money but because of what they consider “unrealistic expectations” and not because of the expectations we have but because of how quick our fan base turns on people. I know, I know... every school has it. Let me ask this: how many coaches have we ran out of town in the last 11 years? Yes a lot or all were warranted but we started screaming for their heads early just about every time causing some to lose heart under pressure, which is human nature no matter the money in it as many constantly point out. . My point is expectations is to be present but with social media I think it hasn’t worked positively for us. Some it has.

No Rush what so ever, UT needs players, no need to put the cart before the Horse

1543967364235.jpeg

Here is my opinion. If there was no early signing period, then I would say you have good points. But since the early signing oeriod exists, it is very important to have the OC hired quickly because of a few factors. One is recruiting. The OC needs to hit the ground running. We cannot afford to just wait while every good OC gets snapped up. Another reason is the recruits themselves. Especially the offensive ones. Those guys want to see who the OC is.

We as TN fans have went through a decade of horrible hires. We can count on one hand in the past 10 years, the decent hires. To just expect TN to make a good hire is hard to do. Whoever gets hired is not going to just turn this offense completely around in one year. Anyone expecting that is crazy. But we need an OC that knows the SEC and what it takes to have success in this conference.

This crap better hurry and get finalized or it’s back to another crap season next year with a guy who don’t know squat about calling a SEC offense. I swear if this hire is one big clusterf—k I’m gonna be pissed!!!! Fulmer and co y’all better get this right or face another revolt!!!!

This 1000%. We make a frozen jar of molasses look slow. Analysis paralysis.

VN Store

Back