Why the demand for a rush hire?

Kingsbury if you want to be technical, though he obviously wasn't super on our radar. Lindsey as a possible candidate as well.
You're missing the point though. A week ago, we were hunting an OC. Now us, FSU, Auburn, Bama, UNC, and USC and Kansas (who both already made a hire) are hunting an OC. How on earth do you not see that as problematic?
Lol exactly. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
On the flip side of that argument, think of the HC we would have had if the fans didn't cause a fuss.

This is a business and the fans are the customer IMO... We know WHAT we want; sometimes we think we know the HOW in achieving that, and start deciding which coaches can get us there, but the goal is the WHAT and we have no control over the HOW even though we like to think we do at times.
Yeah, we sure did miss on a great coach, he was so great, the greatest coach in waiting every. So great that OSU didn't even think about naming him as interim...

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I’m just impatient in general and want this hire over with. I have no idea who we are going to get but I am sure Pruitt is going to hire the best OC that he can get that lines up with his philosophy

Reactions: SolidRockGolf
Kingsbury if you want to be technical, though he obviously wasn't super on our radar. Lindsey as a possible candidate as well.
You're missing the point though. A week ago, we were hunting an OC. Now us, FSU, Auburn, Bama, UNC, and USC and Kansas (who both already made a hire) are hunting an OC. How on earth do you not see that as problematic?
I never saw a report we approached Kingsbury. Have a link? UNC and Kansas (and technically USC) were looking before us

Again, who have we lost? Can you say that the delay is on the UT side and not the candidates shopping?

Reactions: AM64
Let me get this straight.
Ohio State Defensive coordinator? (Quote - The hiring had been rumored for weeks, and OSU made it official through a statement.) That is weeks, not days.
Kansas hired one of the coordinators that no one wanted here - Chip Lindsey
North Carolina - Mack Brown? Not relevant in awhile
USC - Kliff Kingsbury? I saw several posts stating he wasn't a splashy enough hire here.
Western Kentucky? - They hired our Offensive Coordinator that several less than intelligent posters on this site said was terrible.

Please explain how any of these (with the exception of Kingsbury) are even remotely superstar hires?
You're missing the point. It's not WHO they hired. It's the fact that they were able to identify their candidates and pull the trigger to hire them in a timely manner. Meanwhile its complete amateur hour here in Knoxville. You wait and see. Auburn, Florida State, and Alabama will all have their OC's hired before we do and we'll end up promoting Will Friend.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
I never saw a report we approached Kingsbury. Have a link?

Again, who have we lost? Can you say that the delay is on the UT side and not the candidates shopping?

Get off your high horse, you're being pedantic. It's obvious you're not willing to have a reasonable discussion, so just moderate yourself out of this thread.

Reactions: IamScaredOfTrees
You're missing the point. It's not WHO they hired. It's the fact that they were able to identify their candidates and pull the trigger to hire them in a timely manner. Meanwhile its complete amateur hour here in Knoxville. You wait and see. Auburn, Florida State, and Alabama will all have their OC's hired before we do and we'll end up promoting Will Friend.
Seriously? Who they hired is the most important thing! UNC had to tell the first DC to pack up and go home. That's not amateur hour? Kansas took 3 weeks. That's timely?

Important decisions are about timing.

Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot, and other times you have to chill and be patient.

Bottom line, It's Pruitt's and Fulmer's asses that are on the line.

Everything about this hire on this board is pure speculation and opinion's.

Pruitt will do the best he can do and time will tell if that is good enough or not.

It is what it is.........................

Important decisions are about timing.

Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot, and other times you have to chill and be patient.

Bottom line, It's Pruitt's and Fulmer's asses that are on the line.

Everything about this hire on this board is pure speculation and opinion's.

Pruitt will do the best he can do and time will tell if that is good enough or not.

It is what it is.........................

Except if the rumors are true, its not Pruitt and Fulmer who screwed up this hire.

We have had more Coaches the last 8 years than $1.00 cups of coffee have gone thru McDonald's drive-thru window! By-In-Large the group has gone on because, this is a tough league to play football and if you don't have high caliber Coaches on your staff, Well you will be looking at another group of coaches looking for a job. Most of us are fed up with this Carousel of coaches and want a proven coach to come in and stay for a while. Nothing more, Nothing less.

When Western Kentucky had to task your permission to talk to your OC about their open head coach position, and he's announced as the HC two days after they fired the former head coach.

Yeah it's incompetence to not have started the preliminary OC search work earlier.
How does anyone know when Pruitt started looking for a replacement? He has made no announcement about anything. For all we know he started looking as soon as WK asked to speak with Helton. We don't really know who has been contacted. All we have is a few sports writers and some crazy fans saying Pruitt has talked with this person or that person. Until Pruitt or Fulmer say we made an offer to someone it is just BS.

Solid contribution to the thread

Says the guy who refuses to make a logical statement, but ok, I'll play ball.
I already answered your question, but since you can't read, I'll do it again: Kingsbury and Lindsey. I never said we offered these guys, but they are obvious OC candidates who were both hired during the time we had an open position. I'm not claiming any insider info, so asking me to prove who made offers is obviously asinine. We now have more competition for a hire than we did upon Helton's departure. That is a fact. A more competitive market puts a strain on supply. We used to be the biggest dog shopping for a prom date. Now, there are more suitors searching through roughly the same candidate pool. Just because we haven't definitively "lost" anyone doesn't mean we shouldn't have taken advantage of our headstart.

How does anyone know when Pruitt started looking for a replacement? He has made no announcement about anything. For all we know he started looking as soon as WK asked to speak with Helton. We don't really know who has been contacted. All we have is a few sports writers and some crazy fans saying Pruitt has talked with this person or that person. Until Pruitt or Fulmer say we made an offer to someone it is just BS.

Helton was not coming back after this season regardless of the WKU hire.

Reactions: BeardedVol
here's the deal, boys and girls.

the Vols program was put in the hands of CJP by Fulmer and people are gonna have to trust him, A'ight ?

everyone needs to relax and calm down and trust CJP to get the right guy that he wants and the right guy to run a Vols offense that will kick asses and score a bushel of points.

CJP ain't stupid and he knows what kind of OC we need to win and restore Vols football to championship level.

Let's let coach do his job and trust him, A'IGHT ?

Serious question here for those upset at this time about no statement thus far.

**We landed a very good recruit without the OC named. One good RB just decommitted from Michigan and is a heavy lean towards the good guys. That means it’s not fully effecting recruitment at this time.

**The gel that needs to be made with the staff and the new OC could very well be a situation of whether CJP is successful or fired. Why not give him time to make an educated decision after looking at all possibilities first?

**look at the guys we wanted badly last year saying it was doom and gloom if we didn’t get them. Outside of Mullen (whom some didn’t want here) everyone else was barely par or worse imo (I might be missing someone).

I think sometimes we think we can expect things that is not our business. As fans we have the right to expect a good hire that shows improvement. Outside of that shouldn’t we let him use his knowledge to make a very educated hire.

Added question: Why do some think that if we don’t hire who they deem the only choice then we are going to suck? What if said person turned us down? Not because of money but because of what they consider “unrealistic expectations” and not because of the expectations we have but because of how quick our fan base turns on people. I know, I know... every school has it. Let me ask this: how many coaches have we ran out of town in the last 11 years? Yes a lot or all were warranted but we started screaming for their heads early just about every time causing some to lose heart under pressure, which is human nature no matter the money in it as many constantly point out. . My point is expectations is to be present but with social media I think it hasn’t worked positively for us. Some it has.
Get out of here with that...what do you call it? Reasonable thinking...yeah, that's it.

Says the guy who refuses to make a logical statement, but ok, I'll play ball.
I already answered your question, but since you can't read, I'll do it again: Kingsbury and Lindsey. I never said we offered these guys, but they are obvious OC candidates who were both hired during the time we had an open position. I'm not claiming any insider info, so asking me to prove who made offers is obviously asinine. We now have more competition for a hire than we did upon Helton's departure. That is a fact. A more competitive market puts a strain on supply. We used to be the biggest dog shopping for a prom date. Now, there are more suitors searching through roughly the same candidate pool. Just because we haven't definitively "lost" anyone doesn't mean we shouldn't have taken advantage of our headstart.
I've made plenty of logical posts you just don't agree. Doesn't mean they're wrong

Kingsbury was never an option and Lindsey was passed on so he went to Kansas. Fsu and Auburn are gone to struggle because of their HC status.

Rushing a hire would be worse than taking the time to get it right

I haven't read every response in every thread; but it's hard to believe that when all these threads got started, there were quotes from Freeze where he's essentially BEGGING for another chance and a job, and now he's holding all the cards and offers... whoever gets him now, they will have overpaid for him. Due diligence is responsible, but there's also something to be said for striking while the iron's hot.

So you’re saying that you know for a fact that if we jumped quickly and hired Gruden then we would have had a great first year or done a fantastic job? Because we paid the money and secured him quickly?
I don’t recall saying anything about Gruden. Don’t know how well he would have done.

VN Store

Back