Why the demand for a rush hire?

SolidRockGolf

Serious question here for those upset at this time about no statement thus far.

**We landed a very good recruit without the OC named. One good RB just decommitted from Michigan and is a heavy lean towards the good guys. That means it’s not fully effecting recruitment at this time.

**The gel that needs to be made with the staff and the new OC could very well be a situation of whether CJP is successful or fired. Why not give him time to make an educated decision after looking at all possibilities first?

**look at the guys we wanted badly last year saying it was doom and gloom if we didn’t get them. Outside of Mullen (whom some didn’t want here) everyone else was barely par or worse imo (I might be missing someone).

I think sometimes we think we can expect things that is not our business. As fans we have the right to expect a good hire that shows improvement. Outside of that shouldn’t we let him use his knowledge to make a very educated hire.

Added question: Why do some think that if we don’t hire who they deem the only choice then we are going to suck? What if said person turned us down? Not because of money but because of what they consider “unrealistic expectations” and not because of the expectations we have but because of how quick our fan base turns on people. I know, I know... every school has it. Let me ask this: how many coaches have we ran out of town in the last 11 years? Yes a lot or all were warranted but we started screaming for their heads early just about every time causing some to lose heart under pressure, which is human nature no matter the money in it as many constantly point out. . My point is expectations is to be present but with social media I think it hasn’t worked positively for us. Some it has.

I’ve learned a thing or two from here over the years. I’m really interested in an open discussion about this.

Because every other program in the nation can make a competent hire within days but Tennessee drags it out for weeks only to get a coach we have to google to figure out who they are.

But with the heavy negative side of our fan base, are we not the girl that comes with a lot of extra drama? Extra drama is fine but with expectations of “right now” it can be crippling.

Why do a lot of the fans not see that there is a good possibility that if you go to UT the fans/pressure can kill your career quickly if you don’t succeed. While it’s the same everywhere we do get turned down more. Not saying the blame fully falls on the fans but maybe a small percentage does!?

Last edited:
I'm not upset that they're not "rushing" to hire someone. I'm upset they didnt already have a plan in place and have their guy to begin with. Look at Ohio State, Kansas, North Carolina, Southern Cal, Western Kentucky , etc. That's how universities with competent administrations handle situations like this. We bumble and fumble around looking like the ugly girl at the dance no one wants to be seen with.

I'm not upset that they're not "rushing" to hire someone. I'm upset they didnt already have a plan in place and have their guy to begin with. Look at Ohio State, Kansas, North Carolina, Southern Cal, Western Kentucky , etc. That's how universities with competent administrations handle situations like this. We bumble and fumble around looking like the ugly girl at the dance no one wants to be seen with.
OSU was on staff already
Kansas took 3 weeks to hire their first coordinator
UNC hired a guy who hasn't coached football in 4 years and then had to change his DC because of a revolt. He was on campus

These aren't really too impressive imo

Serious question here for those upset at this time about no statement thus far.

**We landed a very good recruit without the OC named. One good RB just decommitted from Michigan and is a heavy lean towards the good guys. That means it’s not fully effecting recruitment at this time.

**The gel that needs to be made with the staff and the new OC could very well be a situation of whether CJP is successful or fired. Why not give him time to make an educated decision after looking at all possibilities first?

**look at the guys we wanted badly last year saying it was doom and gloom if we didn’t get them. Outside of Mullen (whom some didn’t want here) everyone else was barely par or worse imo (I might be missing someone).

I think sometimes we think we can expect things that is not our business. As fans we have the right to expect a good hire that shows improvement. Outside of that shouldn’t we let him use his knowledge to make a very educated hire.

Added question: Why do some think that if we don’t hire who they deem the only choice then we are going to suck? What if said person turned us down? Not because of money but because of what they consider “unrealistic expectations” and not because of the expectations we have but because of how quick our fan base turns on people. I know, I know... every school has it. Let me ask this: how many coaches have we ran out of town in the last 11 years? Yes a lot or all were warranted but we started screaming for their heads early just about every time causing some to lose heart under pressure, which is human nature no matter the money in it as many constantly point out. . My point is expectations is to be present but with social media I think it hasn’t worked positively for us. Some it has.
Serious answer as to why we don’t wait.....Dooley, Jones, Kiffen was good but stuck it deep after one year. The good ones are dealt early to the highest bidder. If you wait, you are left with....well.....a 4-8 record or 5-8 and making statements like “ we know we’ve gotten over the hump at Tennessee when we can start beating Vanderbilt again”.

Reactions: 08Vol and jbcollins
Another thing, yes we landed Bailey, but you're nuts if you dont think other schools arent negatively recruiting against us right now because we still dont have an OC. Other programs are in the ear of every single one of our recruits, pointing out our incompetence.

But with the heavy negative side of our fan base, are we not the girl that comes with a lot of extra drama? Extra drama is fine but with expectations of “right now” it can be crippling.

Again, the "right now" is because we are watching every other school snatch up the good hires like lightning while Tennessee keeps twiddling their thumbs until they are all gone. WE've seen this before.

Early signing period coming up and I'm sure the offensive players we have committed want to know who their coach will be and his scheme before they sign on the line or at least I would. They may love Tennessee but if the new coach runs a different offense than they fit into they may look elsewhere. Also what everyone else has said, it looks as if UT can't make a hire without a prolonged search while everyone else had a plan and are making hires at a normal pace.

Another thing, yes we landed Bailey, but you're nuts if you dont think other schools arent negatively recruiting against us right now because we still dont have an OC. Other programs are in the ear of every single one of our recruits, pointing out our incompetence.

Do you think there’s a possibility they also use your negative posts as well? Just saying there is always something the enemy has? Glass is always half empty. No?

Because some recuirts may like him more than the school he is at now, So they may flip. Some that are walking the fence may come because of him. Not hiring can only hurt 15 days and counting

Reactions: 08Vol and amorange
One example from 9 years ago yet there are plenty happening right now to prove the rest of your post wrong. It looks different unless you step back and realize all searches have warts

You're right, all searches have warts.

Its just that Tennessee's last several searches have had more warts than a toad.

VN Store

Back