Why not Mike Leach?

He’s never won anything of significance and is two games over .500 at Wazzou...

Why is it so hard to understand that some P5 programs are harder to win at than others? Why is it also so hard to understand that records can be deflated by having to rebuild a program from the ground up?

Wazzu is one of the worst P5 jobs out there and he has them playing for a division title. But yeah, he's just like Butch...

Why is it so hard to understand that some P5 programs are harder to win at than others? Why is it also so hard to understand that records can be deflated by having to rebuild a program from the ground up?

Wazzu is one of the worst P5 jobs out there and he has them playing for a division title. But yeah, he's just like Butch...

He's going to play harder teams here at Tennessee than he does at Washington State. He's not going to win jack here.

He's going to play harder teams here at Tennessee than he does at Washington State. He's not going to win jack here.

I'm sorry. You're saying that even though he's taken a bad team and lead them to wins over much better teams this season... he can't take a much better team and lead them to wins over even better teams?

What kind of stupid @$$ logic is that?

Reactions: 1 person
I see a lot of "Leach wouldn't fit personality-wise".

Do y'all think Peterson would?

Here's a quote from an article on Oregonlive.com:

"Washington coach Chris Petersen sometimes comes across as charisma-challenged to those watching on television, perhaps because has a calm sideline demeanor."

I heard he's Catholic - in a conversation that started with someone saying he's a Scientologist. Regardless of religion, he's a total CA/PAC-12 guy...that doesn't fit East Tennessee at all...and is about as likely to take our job as Gruden is.

I don’t see why being Catholic would be a problem in TN.
Scientology sounds as reliable as worshipping ancient Egyptian gods. Nevertheless, we’re hiring a football coach, not a minister.
I’ve thought he’s a West Coast guy too. I suppose anything’s possible.

He’s never won anything of significance and is two games over .500 at Wazzou...

He also pulled an upset of Chris Petersen's #25 ranked Washington in the Apple Cup his first year at WSU. Managed to get them to their first bowl appearance in 10 years in 2013 and secured their first bowl win in 12 years. He has also beaten 6 ranked opponents so far during his tenure at WSU with a chance to do so again tonight. Please, don't act like Mike Leach isn't a great coach.

What happened when he was at Texas Tech? If I remember correctly he got fired?

From what I remember he was mean to an ESPN guy's son. Don't remember what he did, but for some reason I want to say he locked him in a closet or something.

EDIT - in fact, you remember that SNL commercial for United Way with Peyton Manning? Where he got mad at that one kid and made him go sit in the port-a-potty or something like that? Pretty sure it was like that.

Last edited:
From what I remember he was mean to an ESPN guy's son. Don't remember what he did, but for some reason I want to say he locked him in a closet or something.

Put him a dark closet while he had a concussion, to be fair it was during the time when not tons of chatter about concussions cte convonajd all hadn't really picked up steam by media, he would honestly prolly be a great coach, but he is a wild one, I'm not against it.

He also pulled an upset of Chris Petersen's #25 ranked Washington in the Apple Cup his first year at WSU. Managed to get them to their first bowl appearance in 10 years in 2013 and secured their first bowl win in 12 years. He has also beaten 6 ranked opponents so far during his tenure at WSU with a chance to do so again tonight. Please, don't act like Mike Leach isn't a great coach.

Good points, except that Petersen was at Boise State when Leach beat UW in 2012.

He beat Sarkisian that year, Petersen got to Washington two years later.

He’s a perennial 8-4 coach. We can and should expect to hire a better candidate.

Over on the Gator board there are some chomping at the idea of getting Leach now that they won’t get Kelly and Frost is questionable. Someone posted links to reports that he would take the TN job, and they are nervous about it and competing against Leach in the east. Just funny that many here consider Florida a better job, and they really want a guy many here don’t. A lot are really excited about Norvell too. Of course, they all want the fun and gun days back. Just interesting to see how the different fan bases view the candidates.

Peterson is my top choice, but I’d be happy with either.

He beat Sarkisian that year, Petersen got to Washington two years later.

Good points, except that Petersen was at Boise State when Leach beat UW in 2012.

Guess I got the dates mixed up, thanks for the corrections. Regardless the Pirate is a damn good football coach who has proven to turn two of the worst P5 programs into respectable winners. Not to mention he is a national treasure at the mic :)

Reactions: 3 people
He’s a perennial 8-4 coach. We can and should expect to hire a better candidate.

I'll ask you again since you missed it the first time. Why is it so hard to understand that some P5 programs are harder to win at than others? 8-4 is not an equal coaching effort at every single program.

Guess I got the dates mixed up, thanks for the corrections. Regardless the Pirate is a damn good football coach who has proven to turn two of the worst P5 programs into respectable winners. Not to mention he is a national treasure at the mic :)

Indeed. I want to keep him at Wazzu, I want Petersen at Tennessee.

Reactions: 3 people

He recently gave excellent wedding advice.

Indeed. I want to keep him at Wazzu, I want Petersen at Tennessee.

Chris Petersen is definitely a better coaching candidate than Leach. But I haven't seen anything that suggest he's thinking about leaving Washington outside of idle speculation.

I hope Currie is trying his best though.

I'll ask you again since you missed it the first time. Why is it so hard to understand that some P5 programs are harder to win at than others? 8-4 is not an equal coaching effort at every single program.

Chris Petersen made Boise freaking State (you know, a program in Idaho??) a power from absolutely nothing. It’s called great coaching, recruiting, and personnel evaluation. That is the caliber of coach we should expect here.

I would be here for this hire. Especially if he goes out and get a strong DC it could be a good thing. He has won at Texas Tech and Washington St.

Chris Petersen is definitely a better coaching candidate than Leach. But I haven't seen anything that suggest he's thinking about leaving Washington outside of idle speculation.

I hope Currie is trying his best though.

Really though, everything we’ve heard about everyone has been speculation. I don’t think we’ll get Petersen, but I do want him here. Ha

VN Store

Back