Why is Maryville HS so Good?

I'm not basing anything on "just a few games". I'm basing it on watching more than 20 games spanning over a quarter century. Maryville's dominance over it's two county rivals spans from the late seventies to the present. They have done so regardless of who was coaching either side. That's a direct result of the county schools losing many of their better players to Maryville. I'm also basing it on first hand knowledge. But again I'm not saying Maryville does anything illegal or against TSSAA rules!

Again the "coaching them from diapers" argument doesn't hold up. I personally know several county kids that played football in the county through middle school. They get to Maryville and start or play key backup rolls. Now if it were the development of players from early on that makes Maryville so good then how did these guys even have a chance? It's because they were exceptional athletes.

Just to throw it out there during all this success from 03 through 16 Maryville has/had 6 players listed on Rivals state rankings. Only Aaron Douglas was in the top 10.

Reactions: 1 person
Just to throw it out there during all this success from 03 through 16 Maryville has/had 6 players listed on Rivals state rankings. Only Aaron Douglas was in the top 10.

247 shows 12 ranked players in that same time frame.

During that same period WB had one (kicker), and Heritage had zero.

I'm not basing anything on "just a few games". I'm basing it on watching more than 20 games spanning over a quarter century. Maryville's dominance over it's two county rivals spans from the late seventies to the present. They have done so regardless of who was coaching either side. That's a direct result of the county schools losing many of their better players to Maryville. I'm also basing it on first hand knowledge. But again I'm not saying Maryville does anything illegal or against TSSAA rules!

Again the "coaching them from diapers" argument doesn't hold up. I personally know several county kids that played football in the county through middle school. They get to Maryville and start or play key backup rolls. Now if it were the development of players from early on that makes Maryville so good then how did these guys even have a chance? It's because they were exceptional athletes.

So, what happened in the late 80's?

Not all the kids at Maryvilke "live" in Blount Co. They should play BA and Endsworth every year. Keep them in check.

1985-1989

Maryville was 7-3 versus WB and Heritage. Not too bad for a little bump in the road period for Maryville.

I was in school at maryville in the late 80's and can tell you the football program wasn't great by any means. They had some serious coaching turn over. Don story, Emory hale, John olive and olive was awful. Hale was run out of town because he grabbed a player by the face mask during a game. In 87-88 they had some solid teams, 89 was awful... Lost the first time in school history lost to WB.

Also if maryville recruits do they in basketball as well? I mean I remember Alcoa having their own fab 5 and only Micah marsh was from Alcoa. Some were from sweet water, some from seymore....

If you're a parent and you want your kid to play for the best would you live in Rockford and send your kid to heritage? Or would you love 5 miles away and send them to maryville? It's a no brainier. Heritage and WB have never been good and that started before maryville and Alcoa wee ever dominant

Not all the kids at Maryvilke "live" in Blount Co. They should play BA and Endsworth every year. Keep them in check.

That's what they said about Fulton and maryville waxed Fulton. Anyone remember when Brentwood academy was winning state championships all the time? They are a private school that recruited

That's what they said about Fulton and maryville waxed Fulton. Anyone remember when Brentwood academy was winning state championships all the time? They are a private school that recruited

Yep I went to BA. Was part of 2 of the 11.
Maryville needs to play better competition to stay crisp and to keep them in check. The best in the state are the private schools. They obviously recruit. Already established. What does it hurt besides Their gaudy win streaks?

Yep I went to BA. Was part of 2 of the 11.
Maryville needs to play better competition to stay crisp and to keep them in check. The best in the state are the private schools. They obviously recruit. Already established. What does it hurt besides Their gaudy win streaks?

I agree 100% playing schools like heritage and WB does nothing for them. Here we have bishop Gorman which is private and recruits but plays a national schedule . Locals complain that they play for a state championship but have different rules

I was in school at maryville in the late 80's and can tell you the football program wasn't great by any means. They had some serious coaching turn over. Don story, Emory hale, John olive and olive was awful. Hale was run out of town because he grabbed a player by the face mask during a game. In 87-88 they had some solid teams, 89 was awful... Lost the first time in school history lost to WB.

Also if maryville recruits do they in basketball as well? I mean I remember Alcoa having their own fab 5 and only Micah marsh was from Alcoa. Some were from sweet water, some from seymore....

If you're a parent and you want your kid to play for the best would you live in Rockford and send your kid to heritage? Or would you love 5 miles away and send them to maryville? It's a no brainier. Heritage and WB have never been good and that started before maryville and Alcoa wee ever dominant

They have always been dominate over WB AND Heritage, including the eighties. Why? The answer is in your last paragraph.

So I watched ESPN2 last night featuring top five teams: Bishop Gorman(NV) and Cedar Hill(TX). Seeing these top teams made me wonder how would Maryville/Brentwood Academy do against programs like these? Have they played out of state teams recently? And if not, why not? Is there no advantage for them to? I'm just curious.

So I watched ESPN2 last night featuring top five teams: Bishop Gorman(NV) and Cedar Hill(TX). Seeing these top teams made me wonder how would Maryville/Brentwood Academy do against programs like these? Have they played out of state teams recently? And if not, why not? Is there no advantage for them to? I'm just curious.

Maryville would get their doors blown off. So no, there is no advantage to playing them.

Maryville would get their doors blown off. So no, there is no advantage to playing them.

Hence why they don't play these teams. That's been my problem with the Maryville fanbase and puffing of the chest. Step out and play an OOS team or even the good privates in TN, like an Ensworth, MBA or BA.

The same argument against teams in the ACC or B1G and their competition, apply to Maryville IMO. Tested maybe 3x a year then not again till the semifinals of the playoffs. Meanwhile the Williamson and Rutherford Co schools are getting no breaks. Either last year or 2014 the Ravenwood region had something like eight teams with a record of 8-2 or better. Meanwhile in Maryville's region, starting with the 4th seed, the playoff teams had losing records.

Last edited:
Hence why they don't play these teams. That's been my problem with the Maryville fanbase and puffing of the chest. Step out and play an OOS team or even the good privates in TN, like an Ensworth, MBA or BA.

The same argument against teams in the ACC or B1G and their competition, apply to Maryville IMO. Tested maybe 3x a year then not again till the semifinals of the playoffs. Meanwhile the Williamson and Rutherford Co schools are getting no breaks. Either last year or 2014 the Ravenwood region had something like eight teams with a record of 8-2 or better. Meanwhile in Maryville's region, starting with the 4th seed, the playoff teams had losing records.

so, with that argument, Maryville should be knocked off easily in the semifinals IMHO

so, with that argument, Maryville should be knocked off easily in the semifinals IMHO

That's the conclusion you're rolling with? Because Michigan State got blown out in the CFP it means Maryville should lose easily in the semi's of the TSSAA playoffs?

My logic is, they're well rested, healthy and can afford to play a subpar game and still advance, while correcting the mistakes next week. A lot of the middle TN teams don't have those luxuries. You play lackadaisical in the 1st or 2nd round and you may not get next week.

Last edited:
Recruiting has been around along time. Some was obvious. I have a family friend who played QB at Oak Ridge in years past and who played a few plays at Tennessee against UCLA before shredding his knee. He told us that alot of those places out there would get really good players parents high paying jobs to move to Oak Ridge in essence to get their kids to be Wildcats. I'm not saying that's what's happening at Maryville and at this point I don't think it's necessary. Based off their reputation I think the LeBron James and Durant style of teaming up with power teams. I think really good players move into Maryville to team up for titles the easy way.

Last edited:

I seem to remember when Maryville played in a lower division and everyone crowed "Move up to a bigger division and see what happens." Well... we see what's happened.

I seem to remember when Maryville played in a lower division and everyone crowed "Move up to a bigger division and see what happens." Well... we see what's happened.

Stepping up a class or two in east TN football isn't the same as playing Grayson, L'Ville Trinity, Colquitt County, Saint X etc. Plenty of great teams within 3-4 hrs of Knoxville they could step out and play without impacting their season one bit.

That's the conclusion you're rolling with? Because Michigan State got blown out in the CFP it means Maryville should lose easily in the semi's of the TSSAA playoffs?

My logic is, they're well rested, healthy and can afford to play a subpar game and still advance, while correcting the mistakes next week. A lot of the middle TN teams don't have those luxuries. You play lackadaisical in the 1st or 2nd round and you may not get next week.

my logic coming from the fact that the harder your opponent, the better it makes you....I heard this from a lady named Summit

It depends on the team. Maryville vs IMG or Graceland... Maryville would get blown out. Watching that Trinity Christian Academy vs Cocoa game, I think Maryville would have dispatched both easily. Those teams were an undisciplined wreck. Athletic, but just bad at football.

My brother was an all-state cornerback at Maryville in the mid-to-late 1990s just as Maryville was beginning this latest run in football dominance. He was on the team that won the state title in 1998 under Tim Hammontree. He also was one of those to have the lost cause of defending John Henderson while Big John was playing tight end when Maryville lost to Pearl-Cohn at the state championships in 1997. Little brother is 5'8'' at best, so this was a near-impossible task if the quarterback got it anywhere near Henderson.

The key factor was getting the middle schools to run the same system as the Rebels. Once Coach Hammontree got that job done, they developed a factory set-up where the incoming 9th graders had system knowledge. The better players in that group could then be counted on to provide quality depth on the team. It built from there.

The other influences driving Maryville now are population growth and the quality of the Maryville school system.

I'm the same age as your brother. I was a junior when we lost to Pearl Cohn and then we won the next year.
People get mad at Maryville for "recruiting" but the truth is that they don't have to go search for players to talk them into moving to town or even paying tuition. The players come to Quarles. How can you fault either side? The players want to play for the best coach and what is GQ going to do, tell them they can't move to town?

VN Store

Back