Why is Maryville HS so Good?

I'm the same age as your brother. I was a junior when we lost to Pearl Cohn and then we won the next year.
People get mad at Maryville for "recruiting" but the truth is that they don't have to go search for players to talk them into moving to town or even paying tuition. The players come to Quarles. How can you fault either side? The players want to play for the best coach and what is GQ going to do, tell them they can't move to town?

I liked his quote a few years ago...."I personally have never recruited a player" LOL

Reactions: 1 person
Stepping up a class or two in east TN football isn't the same as playing Grayson, L'Ville Trinity, Colquitt County, Saint X etc. Plenty of great teams within 3-4 hrs of Knoxville they could step out and play without impacting their season one bit.
The same was said when everyone wanted them to play Fulton.

Maryville is not always the most talented team and wouldn't be against these teams either. However, they are always the best coached team and GQ is a great in-game coach. It's not a foregone conclusion they would lose to these teams.

Maryville is not always the most talented team and wouldn't be against these teams either. However, they are always the best coached team and GQ is a great in-game coach. It's not a foregone conclusion they would lose to these teams.

Again, Fulton doesn't compare to the teams I'm mentioning. Colquitt County in the middle of nowhere South GA was national champs last year. That's not Fulton level and I don't think it's Maryville level either.

I'm biased because I grew up in SoFL around some of the best football there is. I probably saw more future NFL talent in HS than many east Tennesseans have seen D-1 talent in HS. My little two, high school county had 5 guys playing in the NFL at one time. The 2 schools had a combined enrollment of maybe 1700 back then and we weren't even the most talented.

I see absolutely no way Maryville stays on the field with an IMG Academy. Teams like that have athletes and the coaching.

Best in game coach tends to be easier when you only have a big game every once in awhile. That helps bowlinggreens point. You can't scheme trick plays or be focused on every team tendencies unless you have a games that give you breaks in between the big ones.

Best in game coach tends to be easier when you only have a big game every once in awhile. That helps bowlinggreens point. You can't scheme trick plays or be focused on every team tendencies unless you have a games that give you breaks in between the big ones.
I'm not sure how to respond and am resisting blasting you on this because I find this to be a ridiculous response.

Being a good coach has nothing to do with only having to do it one game a year. It starts with developing your kids in the off-season, preparing them in August, deciding which kids will help you the most and putting them in positions to be successful, analyzing your upcoming opponent to find weaknesses and tendencies, making in game adjustments, motivating the kids before the game and at half time and so much more. It's a routine and if you think GQ spends less time on inferior teams than he does on Fulton or when they get to the state championship game seemingly every year, you are delusional.

Last edited:
Again, Fulton doesn't compare to the teams I'm mentioning. Colquitt County in the middle of nowhere South GA was national champs last year. That's not Fulton level and I don't think it's Maryville level either.

I'm biased because I grew up in SoFL around some of the best football there is. I probably saw more future NFL talent in HS than many east Tennesseans have seen D-1 talent in HS. My little two, high school county had 5 guys playing in the NFL at one time. The 2 schools had a combined enrollment of maybe 1700 back then and we weren't even the most talented.

I see absolutely no way Maryville stays on the field with an IMG Academy. Teams like that have athletes and the coaching.
I wasn't implying that Fulton is the same quality (that's fairly obvious) - my point is many continue to discount Maryville and I used the Fulton game as an illustration.

GQ gets more out of his teams than any high school coach I've ever seen (I've played and coached football nearly my entire life). I grew up in Florida where there is clearly a huge talent difference; however, talent doesn't always win games and that is the point I was making.

For the record, I agree Maryville couldn't hang with IMG but you may be surprised if ever given the chance with some of the other teams you mentioned.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to respond and am resisting blasting you on this because I find this to be a ridiculous response.

Being a good coach has nothing to do with only having to do it one game a year. It starts with developing your kids in the off-season, preparing them in August, deciding which kids will help you the most and putting them in positions to be successful, analyzing your upcoming opponent to find weaknesses and tendencies, making in game adjustments, motivating the kids before the game and at half time and so much more. It's a routine and if you think GQ spends less time on inferior teams than he does on Fulton or when they get to the state championship game seemingly every year, you are delusional.

I definitely think if he sees Fulton, Alcoa, oak ridge etc... on the schedule yes he has gamd planned for them weeks ahead. Whereas if William blount it comparable he game plans week of imo.

I see absolutely no way Maryville stays on the field with an IMG Academy. Teams like that have athletes and the coaching.[/QUOTE]

IMG should kill Maryville. IMG get players all over America. They recruit better than some colleges.

I am a Maryville fan. I know that some of these Big National teams would kick Maryville's butt. All I care about is seeing Maryville winning the Tennessee Class 6A title.

Maryville play 7 region games a year. William Blount,Dobyns Bennet,Science Hill,Hardin Valley,Jefferson County,Bearden and Bradley Central. Maryville has to play them. Maryville will always play Alcoa. Alcoa vs Maryville is a huge rivalry. Alcoa is also a 14 time state champion. Maryville plays county rival Heritage every year which I wouldn't mind seeing Maryville drop. Heritage wouldn't like Maryville dropping them because it is their biggest gate of the year when game is at Heritage. The other game is vs Fulton. Fulton is a 6 time state champion. They are very athletic.

Funny thing is people used to say this a lot when Maryville was winning 4A Titles when there were 5 Classes. " Wait till Maryville plays the big boys" "Wait till they start playing Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett and the Rutherford County teams" "Maryville would get destroyed by those teams" Well since Maryville went to the largest classification they are undefeated vs those teams I mentioned. Their record since Maryville went to 6A is 112-5 with 4 State Titles and 3 runner ups. Pretty darn good. Now all I hear is "Maryville doesn't play nationally or play the privates"

I am a Maryville fan. I know that some of these Big National teams would kick Maryville's butt. All I care about is seeing Maryville winning the Tennessee Class 6A title.

Maryville play 7 region games a year. William Blount,Dobyns Bennet,Science Hill,Hardin Valley,Jefferson County,Bearden and Bradley Central. Maryville has to play them. Maryville will always play Alcoa. Alcoa vs Maryville is a huge rivalry. Alcoa is also a 14 time state champion. Maryville plays county rival Heritage every year which I wouldn't mind seeing Maryville drop. Heritage wouldn't like Maryville dropping them because it is their biggest gate of the year when game is at Heritage. The other game is vs Fulton. Fulton is a 6 time state champion. They are very athletic.

Funny thing is people used to say this a lot when Maryville was winning 4A Titles when there were 5 Classes. " Wait till Maryville plays the big boys" "Wait till they start playing Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett and the Rutherford County teams" "Maryville would get destroyed by those teams" Well since Maryville went to the largest classification they are undefeated vs those teams I mentioned. Their record since Maryville went to 6A is 112-5 with 4 State Titles and 3 runner ups. Pretty darn good. Now all I hear is "Maryville doesn't play nationally or play the privates"

Haters will always hate. :)

For the record, I live in Powell and don't have a dog in this fight. But it bugs me when so many are unwilling to give Maryville credit for what they accomplish every year. Like not playing teams out of state somehow diminishes their accomplishments.

If Maryville fans were on here beating their chests that they are the best team in the nation, that would be a different story. But I can only recall one instance by one poster a while ago touting the national ranking (but I could be wrong).

Last edited:
Hate to disagree with some fellow VN posters, but they have always recruited players outside their boundaries. Great coaching if you believe in HS recruiting.

They don't actually recruit, but if there is a tendency for Moms and Dads of a really good middle school players to get good jobs in the Blount county area.

And all due respect to Quarles, but he did not rebuild that program in the 90s. The head coach before him did. And anyone in Maryville that tells you any different is a bald faced liar. Before he took over, Maryville was in really sorry shape.

Stepping up a class or two in east TN football isn't the same as playing Grayson, L'Ville Trinity, Colquitt County, Saint X etc. Plenty of great teams within 3-4 hrs of Knoxville they could step out and play without impacting their season one bit.

You are assuming that there haven't been discussions with those schools about playing. Have you thought about the possibility that those teams aren't interested in scheduling Maryville as a regular season opponent?

As the saying goes, when one makes an assumption without knowing the facts ............

Maryville and Ensworth scrimmage every year during fall camp. Over the past few years Maryville has had the upper hand in those scrimmages in every year but one, and that was in 2014 when Maryville won the 6A championship, while Ensworth lost to MBA in it's Blue Cross Bowl game.

And I keep seeing the "Maryville can get anybody they want" in to the school argument as to why they have so much success. It's not all that simple, but if you are going to start pointing the "open zone" finger than you have to point it as D-B, Science Hill, Oak Ridge, Greeneville, and several other "city system" schools, too. They all play by those same rules.

And what about the "magnet" schools? Do they not have the ability to enroll out of zone kids?

Again, it's not that simple.

Last edited:
They don't actually recruit, but if there is a tendency for Moms and Dads of a really good middle school players to get good jobs in the Blount county area.

And all due respect to Quarles, but he did not rebuild that program in the 90s. The head coach before him did. And anyone in Maryville that tells you any different is a bald faced liar. Before he took over, Maryville was in really sorry shape.

Tim Hammontree did get the discipline put in but hiring George Quarles elevated the program. Before George Quarles came Tim Hammontree was running the Wingt. I give Hammontree credit in letting George install his offense. The rest has been history.

I wasn't implying that Fulton is the same quality (that's fairly obvious) - my point is many continue to discount Maryville and I used the Fulton game as an illustration.

GQ gets more out of his teams than any high school coach I've ever seen (I've played and coached football nearly my entire life). I grew up in Florida where there is clearly a huge talent difference; however, talent doesn't always win games and that is the point I was making.

For the record, I agree Maryville couldn't hang with IMG but you may be surprised if ever given the chance with some of the other teams you mentioned.

If given the chance? All they have to do is make some phone calls. It's been said by numerous people on here over the years all GQ cares about is getting to the TN playoffs and winning state. He doesn't care about the hoopla outside of that. Fine. Then the fans can't expect them to be taken seriously as a national program or others to believe the hype when they won't play national teams.

You are assuming that there haven't been discussions with those schools about playing. Have you thought about the possibility that those teams aren't interested in scheduling Maryville as a regular season opponent?

As the saying goes, when one makes an assumption without knowing the facts ............

Maryville and Ensworth scrimmage every year during fall camp. Over the past few years Maryville has had the upper hand in those scrimmages in every year but one, and that was in 2014 when Maryville won the 6A championship, while Ensworth lost to MBA in it's Blue Cross Bowl game.

And I keep seeing the "Maryville can get anybody they want" in to the school argument as to why they have so much success. It's not all that simple, but if you are going to start pointing the "open zone" finger than you have to point it as D-B, Science Hill, Oak Ridge, Greeneville, and several other "city system" schools, too. They all play by those same rules.

And what about the "magnet" schools? Do they not have the ability to enroll out of zone kids?

Again, it's not that simple.

The scrimmages started in 2013, that year Ensworth dominated Maryville. So every year, meaning the last 3? You're telling me Maryville has reached out to Ensworth or L'ville Trinity to play games and been turned down? With a lot of the better teams in this region of the country willingly playing each other, it's hard for me to believe they shot down playing Maryville.

IMG should kill Maryville. IMG get players all over America. They recruit better than some colleges.

The difference between Maryville and the Rutherford/Williamson Co schools is having to bring it almost every week IMO. I'm not from TN and don't have kids so I have no vested interest either way. I spent the past 3 years living in Maury Co and have followed middle TN high schools as a result and followed east TN high schools to an extent when I attended UT.

I see what equates to an SEC type schedule for the Ravenwood's and Blackman's of the TN HS football world and an ACC schedule for Maryville. They don't have that grind every week. You slip up against William Blount you win by 21 compared to 35. Either way, you end up as the top seed, have home field advantage throughout the playoffs and have the ability to rest, recover etc. Maryville can clearly hang with any of the 6A teams in the state, but the road wouldn't be as easy outside of east TN.

I think that's the point those outside of the Maryville family try to make but maybe it's conveyed poorly.

Tim Hammontree did get the discipline put in but hiring George Quarles elevated the program. Before George Quarles came Tim Hammontree was running the Wingt. I give Hammontree credit in letting George install his offense. The rest has been history.

They were not running the wing t, at least during the last three or four years of his time at Maryville.

The scrimmages started in 2013, that year Ensworth dominated Maryville. So every year, meaning the last 3? You're telling me Maryville has reached out to Ensworth or L'ville Trinity to play games and been turned down? With a lot of the better teams in this region of the country willingly playing each other, it's hard for me to believe they shot down playing Maryville.

I am telling you that it's a two way street.

And there is a lot more to scheduling than just deciding you want to play and hooking two teams up.

Maryville plays in an 8 team region, meaning only room for 3 non-region games. Two of them are going to be with Blount county rivals Alcoa and Heritage, which they are going to play every year. The other non-region game the last 2 years has been against Fulton, another D1 power in Tennessee, and that game has generated huge interest, huge crowds, and a huge TV audience both eyars. It's not as easy as you are making it out to be.

And while I am not sure when the Ensworth scrimmages began, I am fairly certain it goes back more than 3 years, but I will find out from somebody who knows for sure.

They were not running the wing t, at least during the last three or four years of his time at Maryville.

Maryville ran the WingT when Hammontree started coaching at Maryville. In 1995 Hammontree hired George Quarles. In 1996 Hammontree let George Quarles run his offense. There were growing pains in 1996. In 1997 Maryville started winning big. Maryville has been winning since.

Maryville ran the WingT when Hammontree started coaching at Maryville. In 1995 Hammontree hired George Quarles. In 1996 Hammontree let George Quarles run his offense. There were growing pains in 1996. In 1997 Maryville started winning big. Maryville has been winning since.

What's fun is that GQ wasn't the first person offered the job after Hammontree. Ellis turned it down.

The difference between Maryville and the Rutherford/Williamson Co schools is having to bring it almost every week IMO. I'm not from TN and don't have kids so I have no vested interest either way. I spent the past 3 years living in Maury Co and have followed middle TN high schools as a result and followed east TN high schools to an extent when I attended UT.

I see what equates to an SEC type schedule for the Ravenwood's and Blackman's of the TN HS football world and an ACC schedule for Maryville. They don't have that grind every week. You slip up against William Blount you win by 21 compared to 35. Either way, you end up as the top seed, have home field advantage throughout the playoffs and have the ability to rest, recover etc. Maryville can clearly hang with any of the 6A teams in the state, but the road wouldn't be as easy outside of east TN.

I think that's the point those outside of the Maryville family try to make but maybe it's conveyed poorly.

Spare me this crap about how much harder the midstate has it. For years when Maryville was in 4A in a 5 class system all I heard was from those Rutherford County fans is we are the SEC of High School Football and Maryville is the Boise State of High School Football. When Maryville starts playing Rutherford County teams they will get slaughtered.Funny thing is Maryville is 8-0 vs those SEC teams.

Another funny thing is when Maryville was in 4A The Rutherford County teams went to the 5A Title game almost every year. I remember when the Rutherford County teams would beat teams like Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett,Ooltewah or Bearden . They would say that playing each other toughened them up to be able to handle those teams from the East. Iron sharpens Iron. Now they cry and say they beat each other up. Sounds hypocritical to me. Tired of hearing the excuses on why Maryville beats Rutherford County teams every year. Maryville is just a better program than those teams.

Reactions: 2 people
Spare me this crap about how much harder the midstate has it. For years when Maryville was in 4A in a 5 class system all I heard was from those Rutherford County fans is we are the SEC of High School Football and Maryville is the Boise State of High School Football. When Maryville starts playing Rutherford County teams they will get slaughtered.Funny thing is Maryville is 8-0 vs those SEC teams.

Another funny thing is when Maryville was in 4A The Rutherford County teams went to the 5A Title game almost every year. I remember when the Rutherford County teams would beat teams like Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett,Ooltewah or Bearden . They would say that playing each other toughened them up to be able to handle those teams from the East. Iron sharpens Iron. Now they cry and say they beat each other up. Sounds hypocritical to me. Tired of hearing the excuses on why Maryville beats Rutherford County teams every year. Maryville is just a better program than those teams.

Maryville got beat last year by a mid state team? Score was much closer than the game, also.

You're arguing exactly what they argue; when you play them, 1 game a year, you win. It's a moot point because it won't happen, but does Maryville walk into the playoffs as a 1 seed and home field advantage all 3-4 rounds if they were in these other regions? That's what changes things. As an outsider I look at it and wonder if Maryville would be in the title game EVERY YEAR. Can you beat 3 of them in a row on their field?

Y'all Maryville folks are a testy bunch.

Last edited:
You're arguing exactly what they argue; when you play them, 1 game a year, you win. It's a moot point because it won't happen, but does Maryville walk into the playoffs as a 1 seed and home field advantage all 3-4 rounds if they were in these other regions? That's what changes things. As an outsider I look at it and wonder if Maryville would be in the title game EVERY YEAR. Can you beat 3 of them in a row on their field?

The one thing I have noticed about Maryville football is consistency. When they played 4A people said it was easy on them because its 4A. So they moved up and kept dominating. You can only play the teams on your schedule and when they do they win 90% of the time. Yes they have to play Heritage and William Blount but even when they have to play the higher level schools, they still win. If they get to the state championship game this year will it be like 15 years in a row? I don't care what division of football you play in, that's very impressive

The fathers of many good high school players from around the southeast were able gain employment at the Oak Ridge complexes during the 50' and 60's. They won 2 mythical national championships during that period.

VN Store

Back