Why is everyone bashing Tennessee?

Cinderella without her makeup. Still pretty but not a knockout.

Don't worry about what others think about the loss.

We know this team has overperformed.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I mean, if you look around here for 5 minutes, you'd see collectively we were rather loud while winning. If you're going to be loud about it, you better keep winning. I haven't noticed much national bashing, but we deserve it a bit.
This gets back to the old saying, better to be feared than liked.

We’ve gone long enough wearing a cup. I don’t want the national media to give us a pass. If this team wins out, we’ve got a very good chance of being in the playoff. For that to have happened in less than two years after the Pruitt debacle is nothing short of miraculous.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
This gets back to the old saying, better to be feared than liked.

We’ve gone long enough wearing a cup. I don’t want the national media to give us a pass. If this team wins out, we’ve got a very good chance of being in the playoff. For that to have happened in less than two years after the Pruitt debacle is nothing short of miraculous.
Your last sentence is what all Vol fans should keep in mind. This sort of turnaround is rarely accomplished from the position we were in when Heupel took over. Regardless if we make the playoffs or not, 11 and 1 or even 10 and 2 is a stunning change in 2 seasons in this conference.

Your last sentence is what all Vol fans should keep in mind. This sort of turnaround is rarely accomplished from the position we were in when Heupel took over. Regardless if we make the playoffs or not, 11 and 1 or even 10 and 2 is a stunning change in 2 seasons in this conference.
It’s impressive, regardless. History will tell just how much. I wonder if this is the result of the transfer portal era. Keep in mind Sonny Dykes is in year one (year zero, lol).
The bigger question is can Heupel parlay this into long term success. Despite being ahead of the game in NIL and having this success on the field, the recruiting needle seems unchanged.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
It was billed as the game of the year. The score was close but Georgia shut down an offense averaging fiddy and beat us in every phase of the game. A beatdown of that magnitude is something sportswriters love to write about. If it had been a competitive game then different story.

I called this. People were saying “house money, so I don’t care either way.” I said people are ready to pounce at telling us we weren’t as good as we thought. They were salivating at the chance. Now they have it.

It feels like the media is giving everyone that lost in week 1 a pass because it was a new coach or they’ve improved so much. 1) FSU sucks 2) Look at Oregon’s schedule since UGA.

TCU - 3 potential Losses - Baylor, Texas, & Conference Championship
Michigan - 2 Potential Losses - Ohio State, Illinois, and Conference Championship
Ohio State - 2 Potential Losses - Michigan & Conference Championship
Oregon - 2 Potential Losses - Utah & Conference Championship
USC - 2 Potential Losses - UCLA, Notre Dame, & Conference Championship
Clemson- 1 Potential Loss - Conference Championship

LSU is a sleeper and don't see them getting in.
Ole Miss has to win out, hope LSU drops another and the beat GA.
Beat Mizzou, sc, and candy in good fashion!

For all the people saying that georgia put on the brakes in the second half obviously have not paid much attention to college football. If georgia could have beat us by 100, trust me they would have. Kirby Dumb is not one to call off the dogs, and if you think he was on the sideline feeling sorry for TN then you are just not too bright. Granted, it was part of their gameplan to limit series, but it had nothing to do with not trying to score. We just played a little better defensively in the second half.

Beat our remaining schedule by 30+ each and we will be back in the top 4.

Reactions: BreatheUT
For all the people saying that georgia put on the brakes in the second half obviously have not paid much attention to college football. If georgia could have beat us by 100, trust me they would have. Kirby Dumb is not one to call off the dogs, and if you think he was on the sideline feeling sorry for TN then you are just not too bright. Granted, it was part of their gameplan to limit series, but it had nothing to do with not trying to score. We just played a little better defensively in the second half.

So, it's just a coincidence that UGA called only 3 passing plays the entire 2nd half, with the 3 being on UGAs first possession of the 3rd quarter? Bennett was 15 of 22 for 226 yards and 2 TDs in the 1st half. Finished 17 of 25 with 257 yards (2 of 3, 31 yards in the 2nd). If that's not putting the brakes on, I don't know what to tell you. Tennessee benefitted exponentially from the weather.

Reactions: Delmar
You would think we put ourselves in the #1 position last week. We were given the vote. Now that we lost one game, we are being made the butt of jokes. Bama loses, and you have tears and handkerchiefs coming out. Mourning of the fallen leader and a dirge is sung.

Clemson loses to a team that is coming back but is still shaky. We lose to the best team in the country and 2021 champion, and you would think we did not belong on the same field with them. We did score and could have made some strides to either tie and win or give them a much better game.

I will continue to wear my gear in GA. No shame in losing in a game we were not really prepared to take on. Onward! Forward! Next game up.

We were prepared. The issue is they simply have more talent. As long as our coach doesn't head for an NFL gig, we will get to that point.

Reactions: HoopCreekVol
If it makes everyone feel better, look at all the media talk about LSU and how they won't win out, etc. It isn't just Tennessee.

I do think we played much better in the 2nd half. Georgia hit a big passing play each time they scored a touchdown. They hoped they would just be able to run over us in the 2nd half but it didn't happen and they couldn't. They were able to burn the clock though. The argument can also be made that they didn't need to panic and throw it around in the 2nd half as inept as we looked on offense.

You're "amazed." Really?

Missouri
@ South Carolina
@ Vanderbilt

I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that Tennessee will win those 3 games. We blew all of 3 of them out last year. Heupel usually makes quick work of these lesser teams, especially at home.
I still wouldn’t take it for granite. Not for all intensive purposes. Ain’t gonna be nobody’s escape goat.

VN Store

Back