Why I'm worried about losing Golesh

1) Nobody believed in Golesh in year one because everyone assumed it was all Heupel's offense. Turns out, hiring someone as OC that understood the offense inside and out works. I'm sure Heupel will look for the same familiarity this go around. I will wait and see who he brings in, but the worst thing he could do is hire someone who wants to do his own thing. Find someone on the staff already and train them in the way. Make them Co-OC like Golesh was at UCF.

2) If we take a step back next year it will be in large part due to the players we are losing. I doubt the offense will change. Joe Milton is not and will not be Hendon Hooker. Squirrel White is not and will not be Hyatt (assuming he is gone). It could be argued we actually looked better without Tillman, but we still don't have another Tillman. I'm sure guys will step up, and I expect we will see some breakout pkayers, but we shouldn't expect it to be the same as this year. We just have to hope our defense improves so we don't have to score 40 or 50 every game.

If the offense takes a step back next year it will be due to Milton being inconsistent and stalling drives. I think there are plenty of coaches that will be able to replicate what Golesh did under CJH’s guidance. He put up points before Golesh and will continue to do it after his departure.

I swear, according to the gospel of some, if an asteroid hits Earth tomorrow afternoon, it will be because Milton used a commode in the men's toilet, and flushed the one in the lady's toilet instead.

Reactions: CNCVol88
I’m not as concerned about Golesh leaving as I am about how Milton will fare as the potential starter next year. I know our offense already relies on the run, but I wonder if they’ll tailor the offense even more to the run game if Milton struggles with accuracy. Hoping he looks sharp in the bowl game. The passing attack was fun to watch this year when it was clicking.

It took Golesh and the offense a season to really get things moving consistently, so next year will probably be a lot like 2021 if Milton plays average.
Milton could probably be offensive coordinator by now. He has been in this system just as long and he knows the plays you all need to calm down Gaston Moore knows the offense 😉.

I don't doubt that Heupel could call plays just as well as Golesh, but what worries me is that we might not have as good of a set of eyes in the booth that can spot opportunities to score on defenses like Golesh could. I think that aspect of Golesh is what made our offense elite and why he quickly got poached for a head coaching job. Heupel knows all the plays and is a good player but he isn't in the booth and won't be able to see what Golesh saw up there and who knows if the new guy will be able to read defenses that fast and scheme ways to score on the fly. I think that will be hard to replicate with any new hire and for that reason I fully expect us to take a step back offensively next year.
It's a toss-up!! It's possible our next co-ordinator could be even better. I'm looking forward to the future. If we can get the defense side of the ball corrected,we'll be cooking with hot grease!! Josh Heupel is a legit offense minded guru,I for one for years thought that was what our team lacked with the exception of Fulmer/Cutcliffe & Kiffin/Chaney. I'm more interested in the staff correcting & improving the defense. I still remember when teams were scared of our defenses and why recruits came to play.

Trying REAL hard not to remember how the departure of Cutcliffe began the long slow decline of Fulmer. Reminding myself that Heup is the real deal

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Any hope I had of Heupel replacing Banks is out the window. No way he replaces both coordinators in the same season.

We will all know what Milton will be after the orange bowl. No excuses about rain or cold, this is his opportunity. If he looks the same as he has this staff needs to be finding a starter for next season.

Agree. If Milton isn't game ready in the Orange, he never will be. And if he is, maybe not even then. He's had two years under Heupel and three seasons to take the job at Mich.
Hate to say it or see it, but a metamorphosis is unlikely at this point.

I’m not. I hope he succeeds but I’m not sure I ever saw him call a solid game all 4 quarters.

Reactions: igotworms
Promote Halzle to OC/QB coach and bring in a new TE coach would be the best option IMO. Anyone know what Jason Witten is doing these days?

Agree. If Milton isn't game ready in the Orange, he never will be. And if he is, maybe not even then. He's had two years under Heupel and three seasons to take the job at Mich.
Hate to say it or see it, but a metamorphosis is unlikely at this point.
I will be happy with an Orange Bowl game that is won by Tennessee running the football.

Reactions: NCFisher
I don't doubt that Heupel could call plays just as well as Golesh, but what worries me is that we might not have as good of a set of eyes in the booth that can spot opportunities to score on defenses like Golesh could. I think that aspect of Golesh is what made our offense elite and why he quickly got poached for a head coaching job. Heupel knows all the plays and is a good player but he isn't in the booth and won't be able to see what Golesh saw up there and who knows if the new guy will be able to read defenses that fast and scheme ways to score on the fly. I think that will be hard to replicate with any new hire and for that reason I fully expect us to take a step back offensively next year.
Im more worried about keeping the DC

I will be happy with an Orange Bowl game that is won by Tennessee running the football.

Yes, but I wouldn't expect a repeat of the Vandy game, by far the best rushing performance of the season. Clemson is 10th rush D allowing 101/game. Milton's arm & our secondary need to show up.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
It took Golesh and the offense a season to really get things moving consistently, so next year will probably be a lot like 2021 if Milton plays average.
Golesh was a slow learner. Wish him well and great success as HC. TN gunna be fine.

If your coordinators don't get opportunities, you don't have much of a program. This train will keep rolling.

Maybe some of us should have a little more confidence that Milton can actually improve his accuracy and reads over the off season. His "ups" my not be too separated from his "downs", but if his dedication this year means anything, I believe he will work like heck to improve; and will.

So ends my positive post for the week.

I think Tennessee will survive and there wont be much of a drop off on offense if any.

Gave you a like, but wanted to qualify my response to any drop off won't be any greater than if he was here POST HOOKER. The guy is special. Has to be different, does not have to be bad.

I think you’re probably going to see some growing pains at the position. Probably moreso bc you don’t have Hooker at qb as well. He could process and adjust a lot on field as well bc he knew the offense so well.

Losing him sucks but I don't think its that big of a deal. Our offense is quick to gas defenses and be chaotic. I think decision making plays a bigger part than what he's seeing. How many explosive plays did you see where Hooker went bomb because their safety bit on a crossing route or he decided to keep it and go. I think his recognition of certain motions creating mismatches is seen but that's more of a personal issue and something your going to be looking for because you know your opponent

I don’t think it was the right time to lose Golesh just my opinion but we have a lot more work to do and plenty to prove so i feel like this is a step backwards and now Milton is our starter and the offense he was use to is now gone. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

VN Store

Back