Why I Can't Afford to Vote Democrat

Sea Ray

I want to devote a thread to exactly the reasons why I'm a Republican voter. I'm going to give real life specifics and for simplicity sake, narrow it down to three main financial examples. In it I'll show you how Republicans save me money and Democrats cost me money.

Simply put, voting Republican saves me thousands of dollars, not a year, but a month. You didn't read that wrong. We're talkin' 4 figures, per month. This isn't jus a few bucks. Here you go:

1) State of Ohio. Prior to John Kasich my accountant was having me put aside $1000 per quarter. Kasich re-did small business taxes and instituted what's called the Commercial Activity Tax (CAT). Simply put it works like this: Up to certain amount, small businesses pay $150 in May towards this CAT. After that we pay nothing. Zilch. I no longer have to put aside quarterly money. This saves me about $4K/yr. I now basically pay nothing in state income tax.

2) Obamacare. In December of 2008 (Republican control) my health insurance cost $487/mo with a $3K deductible. For reference sake it was $258/mo with a $1K deductible in Dec 2000. It was $215/mo in Dec of 1993 with a deductible I can't recall but that's not apples to apples because I was single at the time.

It's now $1710/mo with a $7K deductible per person, not per family. I've written a lot about health insurance here so in the interests of brevity I'll try not to repeat myself. This is far and above increases incurred in any other decade. My premiums did not go down as Obama promised...nor could I keep my doctors since companies keep dropping out of the individual market. My guess is that none of you who get your insurance from an employer experienced such as increase. That's because the costs of Obamacare were largely passed onto individuals. We (self employed) took the brunt of that hit. I get that there are winners and losers in every tax plan, but if I'm the bigtime loser, don't expect my political support. Furthermore I'm jaded as to promises from politicians. I know the reality is that bills don't often end up as they're promised so I no longer believe it when a politician like Warren or Sanders tell me that I can keep my doctor or whatever. I'm skeptical.

How do you equate how much this cost me?To be fair, I should expect my premiums to go up. I'll be generous and accept a 100% increase in about ten year's time, so let's say that this policy change is costing me $700/mo plus whatever value you want to put on the difference of $3K deductible vs $14K (two people)

Trump deregulated Obamacare so now there are more health insurance choices for me. I now can choose from some that are not Obamacare compliant. This means if I don't want a plan that includes mental health or maternity, I can buy it. But there is a catch. These plans can underwrite so if you have a pre-existing condition, you probably won't qualify. So here's what happened in December when I had to make a choice:

My existing insurance company (Anthem) sent me a letter saying that they were going to raise my premiums to $1900/mo. After going through an insurance broker, we came up with a plan where we kept my wife (who has pre-existing conditions) on Anthem, but moved my daughter and me to a non Obamacare compliant plan. My new total premiums: $1300/mo. This means a $600/mo savings due to the under the radar actions of Pres Trump. He saved me $600/mo. Thank you Mr Trump!

3) Now let's get to the Trump tax cut. I was one of the winners of it. They now give us a standard deduction of $24K (married). Our itemized deductions were $18K. That's a net plus $6K deduction. They also took away our personal exemptions. That's a minus. The tax brackets lowered our percentages, that represents a modest plus. Here's where I really benefited: Small businesses get a "pass through" deduction based upon your income. This amounted to a deduction of about $20K. Add it all up and here's the sum total: My income went up about $20K in 2018 and my taxes only went up $1.5K. My guess is that this saves me about $3.5K. My income was OK, comfortably over the SS max but not rich by any means. Thank you Mr Trump.

I could go further and say that my taxes also went up under Bill Clinton and down under GW Bush so there is a long standing pattern here.

So OK, regardless of immigration, stupids Tweets or anything else you want to throw out there, my loyalties are to Republicans because I can't afford the thousands per month that Democrat policies will cost me. I just can't and I'm sure everyone has their breaking point as to how much they're willing to fork out in order to support a political party. If Dems only cost me a hundred or so per month, I'd think about it but these examples show they're costing me well over $2K/mo. You want my vote? Quit nailing my pocketbook.

SR

On the health care costs even the employer provided got jacked up. I paid 50, employer about 250 for a 4k deductible. After ACA I am paying close to 300, with almost 500 from the employer, deductible went down to 3500. Pretty much everything else stayed the same. I get a week more PT covered, plus the mental health and women's health (i am a guy). My pay has doubled in the 7 years, but costs for me have gone up 6 times.

On the health care costs even the employer provided got jacked up. I paid 50, employer about 250 for a 4k deductible. After ACA I am paying close to 300, with almost 500 from the employer, deductible went down to 3500. Pretty much everything else stayed the same. I get a week more PT covered, plus the mental health and women's health (i am a guy). My pay has doubled in the 7 years, but costs for me have gone up 6 times.

If my healthcare costs had only gone up $250/mo (with a reduction in my deductible) in ten yrs, I'd have absolutely no complaints. I appreciate your post and the numbers you included. It shows that most everyone took a hit but it also supports my point that the biggest hit was taken on by the self employed folks. That's a really screwed up model politically. Why put the burden of healthcare on the little guy and not the big corporations?

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Imagine if you had to live on minimum wage.

$15.00 an hour? Easy peasy for some. I worked at a manufacturing plant making $15.75 an hour. But it took me many many loyal years to get there to make that amount of $$ to feed & put clothes on my family's back. I worked OT as much as possible so my family would live as comfortable as possible. People can live on minimum wage if they take full advantage of all that's offered them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Is there a recent statistic for the number of people who work for the same company for more than one year with very few absences that would still be making minimum wage?
In today’s economy I don’t see where someone is actually saddled with minimum wage.
How many people on this board have moved for a job that improved your life?

Is there a recent statistic for the number of people who work for the same company for more than one year with very few absences that would still be making minimum wage?
In today’s economy I don’t see where someone is actually saddled with minimum wage.
I have. Had to change insurance companies and Doctors multiple times too.

I want to devote a thread to exactly the reasons why I'm a Republican voter. I'm going to give real life specifics and for simplicity sake, narrow it down to three main financial examples. In it I'll show you how Republicans save me money and Democrats cost me money.

Simply put, voting Republican saves me thousands of dollars, not a year, but a month. You didn't read that wrong. We're talkin' 4 figures, per month. This isn't jus a few bucks. Here you go:

1) State of Ohio. Prior to John Kasich my accountant was having me put aside $1000 per quarter. Kasich re-did small business taxes and instituted what's called the Commercial Activity Tax (CAT). Simply put it works like this: Up to certain amount, small businesses pay $150 in May towards this CAT. After that we pay nothing. Zilch. I no longer have to put aside quarterly money. This saves me about $4K/yr. I now basically pay nothing in state income tax.

2) Obamacare. In December of 2008 (Republican control) my health insurance cost $487/mo with a $3K deductible. For reference sake it was $258/mo with a $1K deductible in Dec 2000. It was $215/mo in Dec of 1993 with a deductible I can't recall but that's not apples to apples because I was single at the time.

It's now $1710/mo with a $7K deductible per person, not per family. I've written a lot about health insurance here so in the interests of brevity I'll try not to repeat myself. This is far and above increases incurred in any other decade. My premiums did not go down as Obama promised...nor could I keep my doctors since companies keep dropping out of the individual market. My guess is that none of you who get your insurance from an employer experienced such as increase. That's because the costs of Obamacare were largely passed onto individuals. We (self employed) took the brunt of that hit. I get that there are winners and losers in every tax plan, but if I'm the bigtime loser, don't expect my political support. Furthermore I'm jaded as to promises from politicians. I know the reality is that bills don't often end up as they're promised so I no longer believe it when a politician like Warren or Sanders tell me that I can keep my doctor or whatever. I'm skeptical.

How do you equate how much this cost me?To be fair, I should expect my premiums to go up. I'll be generous and accept a 100% increase in about ten year's time, so let's say that this policy change is costing me $700/mo plus whatever value you want to put on the difference of $3K deductible vs $14K (two people)

Trump deregulated Obamacare so now there are more health insurance choices for me. I now can choose from some that are not Obamacare compliant. This means if I don't want a plan that includes mental health or maternity, I can buy it. But there is a catch. These plans can underwrite so if you have a pre-existing condition, you probably won't qualify. So here's what happened in December when I had to make a choice:

My existing insurance company (Anthem) sent me a letter saying that they were going to raise my premiums to $1900/mo. After going through an insurance broker, we came up with a plan where we kept my wife (who has pre-existing conditions) on Anthem, but moved my daughter and me to a non Obamacare compliant plan. My new total premiums: $1300/mo. This means a $600/mo savings due to the under the radar actions of Pres Trump. He saved me $600/mo. Thank you Mr Trump!

3) Now let's get to the Trump tax cut. I was one of the winners of it. They now give us a standard deduction of $24K (married). Our itemized deductions were $18K. That's a net plus $6K deduction. They also took away our personal exemptions. That's a minus. The tax brackets lowered our percentages, that represents a modest plus. Here's where I really benefited: Small businesses get a "pass through" deduction based upon your income. This amounted to a deduction of about $20K. Add it all up and here's the sum total: My income went up about $20K in 2018 and my taxes only went up $1.5K. My guess is that this saves me about $3.5K. My income was OK, comfortably over the SS max but not rich by any means. Thank you Mr Trump.

I could go further and say that my taxes also went up under Bill Clinton and down under GW Bush so there is a long standing pattern here.

So OK, regardless of immigration, stupids Tweets or anything else you want to throw out there, my loyalties are to Republicans because I can't afford the thousands per month that Democrat policies will cost me. I just can't and I'm sure everyone has their breaking point as to how much they're willing to fork out in order to support a political party. If Dems only cost me a hundred or so per month, I'd think about it but these examples show they're costing me well over $2K/mo. You want my vote? Quit nailing my pocketbook.

SR

Kids? How was your child tax credit. Mine dropped to $500 and he's as expensive now as he ever was. We earned about $8000 or so LESS for 2019, and went from getting back $800 for 2018 to owing $725 for 2019. I am not so happy a Republican.

I've moved my family but it cost a lot of money. My wife was also able to keep her job and work remote which is rare. Many don't have that ability.

Also, just because there are better paying jobs ainge doesn't mean they are accessible to all. Then there's the issue of affordable housing, child care, etc

Kids? How was your child tax credit. Mine dropped to $500 and he's as expensive now as he ever was. We earned about $8000 or so LESS for 2019, and went from getting back $800 for 2018 to owing $725 for 2019. I am not so happy a Republican.

What did you pay overall compared to the previous tax year.

VN Store

Back