Why has Omar Payne gotten no action after the game from Florida or the SEC ?

SPRINGHILLVOL

Florida coach, Tennessee coach , Tennessee athletic director. Florida athletic director and most of all the SEC office
are wimps and cowards for not addressing the injury to Fulkerson as an outright assault. They are all wimps.
Who cares his Payne CYA apology came to Fulkerson. There is no courage from any of these people !!!

Florida coach, Tennessee coach , Tennessee athletic director. Florida athletic director and most of all the SEC office
are wimps and cowards for not addressing the injury to Fulkerson as an outright assault. They are all wimps.
Who cares his Payne CYA apology came to Fulkerson. There is no courage from any of these people !!!

Something should happen; at least a one game suspension.

I just don’t understand what anyone thinks Danny White is supposed to do. He has no authority to suspend another school’s player.

Your beef is with Greg Sankey, Mark Emmert, Mike White, and Scott Stricklin, not with anyone from UT.
Danny White is the person responsible for making an appeal on behalf of the University of Tennessee because he is the head honcho of the athletic department. Danny White can’t suspend Payne, reprimand Payne, or tell UF what to do, but he can file a complaint to the SEC office. If no complaint is filed, then Sankey is not going to unilaterally take action. In effect, it’s up to Danny to make sure he’s done his part. On the other hand, Mike White could have, and should have, suspended Payne. I’m not talking about one game. That would be absurd. If Payne is allowed to play tomorrow, it wreaks of politics and misdeeds.

Danny White is the person responsible for making an appeal on behalf of the University of Tennessee because he is the head honcho of the athletic department. Danny White can’t suspend Payne, reprimand Payne, or tell UF what to do, but he can file a complaint to the SEC office. If no complaint is filed, then Sankey is not going to unilaterally take action. In effect, it’s up to Danny to make sure he’s done his part. On the other hand, Mike White could have, and should have, suspended Payne. I’m not talking about one game. That would be absurd. If Payne is allowed to play tomorrow, it wreaks of politics and misdeeds.
I think most of these guys consider what happens when one of their players do the bad thing, then decide not to make it a public issue. Who knows what is said in private.

Legitimately curious if there's ever been a situation where an opposing AD appealed to the Conf to have another schools player suspended/punished?

Legitimately curious if there's ever been a situation where an opposing AD appealed to the Conf to have another schools player suspended/punished?
I'm certain that it has happened, and I'm certain it hasn't been done in the open. If our AD is pressuring the conference we likely will never know.

Reactions: cardvolfan
If the shoe was on the other foot I'd feel the same way you do.

But if the guy has apologized, admitted he was wrong in every respect, and the apology has been accepted, any "punishment" you theorize about is just retribution. That is sometimes its own goal, but is it worth it? Does that have any real value other than to make UT fans feel better?

Reactions: jarnol32

But if the guy has apologized, admitted he was wrong in every respect, and the apology has been accepted, any "punishment" you theorize about is just retribution. That is sometimes its own goal, but is it worth it? Does that have any real value other than to make UT fans feel better?
As a deterrent, a message should be sent. That was a flagrant cheap shot. This sort of thing is taken much more seriously on a football field than it is on a basketball court.

We could empty out a lot of prisons with that mindset. As long as they're sorry...

You are such a Gator lover. Forgiveness is a process that occurs over time. Words spoken can’t convey feelings of the heart. People committing egregious acts should still have to bear the consequences. Your buddy Omar may or may not have been sincere, but it’s very likely he had pressure to apologize from a lot of different directions. It was also plausible that his apology was a way of trying to mitigate some of the possible consequences of his actions. Time will tell through actions if the words he spoke, are genuine, and yes, he should have consequences. In NO WAY is it just retribution. That is purely Gator garbage that has zero merit. The gall you have in desseminating such trash. Do you really believe that someone who committed such an act on a college basketball court can be believed?

Oh is that how it works lawgator1? :rolleyes:

As long as you tweet an apology your PR department wrote for you the next day it's all cool? Gosh, you think more convicted criminals would have figured it out that you can dodge all repercussions to your actions that way.

Speaking of Florida POS', take a look at Osifo (#15) who walks past Fulkerson on the floor to put his shoulder into the back of Pons after the assault.

Anyone wanting to email Sankey and ask where the no-action from the SEC and do so at - gsankey@sec.org

and you can CC scotts@gators.ufl.edu & floridabasketball@gators.ufl.edu too

Thanks but you should have ended your weak response right after ‘the same way you do.’

Reactions: DonDiego
As a deterrent, a message should be sent. That was a flagrant cheap shot. This sort of thing is taken much more seriously on a football field than it is on a basketball court.
The Gator lover has a lot of nerve to shift the narrative here. Using Fulky’s feel good tweet to somehow convolute the idea that we are seeking ”retribution” is really the most incorrigible thing I’ve seen in forever.

What do you want me to say? Payne was completely in the wrong and I think some sort of punishment is warranted. I'm just not sure what it ought to be and when it should be. A suspension right at the start of the NCAA tournament? That seems to just aim to defeat the team for the action of one player. I don't think anyone contends that Payne meant to cause as serious an injury as he did. In fact, I imagine that those kind of elbow throws occur in the course of many NCAA games but this one stands out because of the magnitude of the injury.

Is that a factor in punishment? Of course. But you can't let it dictate the sanction. Otherwise you overreact to this one to the detriment of all the other times when the intent is the same but no one particularly notices or cares because no injury resulted.

We could empty out a lot of prisons with that mindset. As long as they're sorry...
UF would certainly be onboard with that. Lots of football talent in prison that deserve a college education. Maybe Aaron Hernandez could posthumously appeal for another year of eligibility.

Reactions: cardvolfan
What do you want me to say? Payne was completely in the wrong and I think some sort of punishment is warranted. I'm just not sure what it ought to be and when it should be. A suspension right at the start of the NCAA tournament? That seems to just aim to defeat the team for the action of one player. I don't think anyone contends that Payne meant to cause as serious an injury as he did. In fact, I imagine that those kind of elbow throws occur in the course of many NCAA games but this one stands out because of the magnitude of the injury.

Is that a factor in punishment? Of course. But you can't let it dictate the sanction. Otherwise you overreact to this one to the detriment of all the other times when the intent is the same but no one particularly notices or cares because no injury resulted.
Just stop. There is NO DEFENSE for what happened, yet you keep trying to argue your case. STOP IT. Your ignorance grows with each comment.

It is absolutely riduculous to shift this into some sort of argument about retribution. This was an egregious act that derserves a stiff and immediate punishment if for no other reason than to act as a deterrent in the future for anybody else that considers just taking a guy out. It's like targeting in football. The ejections aren't for retribution, they're in there as a severe deterrent because they wanted to take head shots out of the game.

Send this statement to Fulky’s parents and see what heartbreak they feel.

I don't think anyone contends that Payne meant to cause as serious an injury as he did. In fact, I imagine that those kind of elbow throws occur in the course of many NCAA games but this one stands out because of the magnitude of the injury.

Nobody winds up and delivers an elbow like that without malicious intent. It was one of the worst I've ever seen. And no . . . shots like that don't happen very often.

I hate to agree with a gator but you are spot on. Elbows happen in basketball all the time, evidently that is not common knowledge to folks who have never played the game. Was it a cheap shot yes, but he was ejected from the game. He didn’t mean to hurt Fulkerson, and has already apologized. Some people just can’t let it go.

I hate to agree with a gator but you are spot on. Elbows happen in basketball all the time, evidently that is not common knowledge to folks who have never played the game. Was it a cheap shot yes, but he was ejected from the game. He didn’t mean to hurt Fulkerson, and has already apologized. Some people just can’t let it go.
Inadvertant elbows happen. Elbows get stuck out to annoy people. A guy obviously winding up and swinging his elbow at a guy above the shoulders . . . TWICE . . . is over the top and definitely does NOT happen all the time. This argument that he didn't mean to hurt anybody is laughable. Why else would anybody flagrantly swing an elbow, punch, kick or head butt somebody?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back