Why has Omar Payne gotten no action after the game from Florida or the SEC ?

Exactly. Fulkerson already missed the Alabama game in the SEC Tournament. Payne should miss the Virginia Tech game.
To me . . . a punch, intentional elbow etc. is fighting and I'm pretty sure that's an automatic one game suspension.
The answer is very obvious and simple. At the very minimum a suspension in tomorrow's game. If I'm the UF AD, I go ahead and suspend him for the rest of the season, especially since it would most likely only be tomorrow anyway.

That sets a precedent of punishing players who commit intentional and especially egregious acts while not being too harsh of a punishment.

You yourself said he needs to be punished, and I suspect you're subconsciously trying to rationalize that he's already served appropriate punishment, which you've already implied that he has not.

On a hunch, I looked and see that Victor Bailey was called for a flagrant foul against a Missouri player when he wildly swiped duyring a dunk and essentially hit him in the face.

Now, that was not "intentional" in the sense that he did not intend to seriously injure the other player. Payne's is worse in that he intended to hit the Vols player. But its the same in the sense that it was in the heat of the game and there is no reason to think Payne wanted to actually hurt your player.

Did Bailey get suspended for the next game by UT? Is the dividing line injury? Is the dividing line one meant to hit the other player?

Be careful because I guarantee you there are incidents where UT players have intentionally struck or elbowed an opposing player, but no suspension followed because no one was hurt.

Danny White has no authority on what happens to Payne from here on out.

Not to mention Sankey doesn’t give a sh*t unless it involves Bama.

Had Danny White wanted to play the national PR game, we could have made it very uncomfortable for the SEC to sit there and do nothing. Just like we normally do, our admin folded. There's a reason we get stuff like this incident and Anthony Jordan happen to us - it's because we sit there and take it.

On a hunch, I looked and see that Victor Bailey was called for a flagrant foul against a Missouri player when he wildly swiped duyring a dunk and essentially hit him in the face.

Now, that was not "intentional" in the sense that he did not intend to seriously injure the other player. Payne's is worse in that he intended to hit the Vols player. But its the same in the sense that it was in the heat of the game and there is no reason to think Payne wanted to actually hurt your player.

Did Bailey get suspended for the next game by UT? Is the dividing line injury? Is the dividing line one meant to hit the other player?

Be careful because I guarantee you there are incidents where UT players have intentionally struck or elbowed an opposing player, but no suspension followed because no one was hurt.

You said it in your first sentence -INTENT

Payne's intent was to injure Fulky.

If I lose control of my vehicle and hit someone, I receive a far lighter punishment than if I hit the gas and intentionally run them over. (Law terms just for you)

What do you want me to say? Payne was completely in the wrong and I think some sort of punishment is warranted. I'm just not sure what it ought to be and when it should be. A suspension right at the start of the NCAA tournament? That seems to just aim to defeat the team for the action of one player. I don't think anyone contends that Payne meant to cause as serious an injury as he did. In fact, I imagine that those kind of elbow throws occur in the course of many NCAA games but this one stands out because of the magnitude of the injury.

Is that a factor in punishment? Of course. But you can't let it dictate the sanction. Otherwise you overreact to this one to the detriment of all the other times when the intent is the same but no one particularly notices or cares because no injury resulted.

The obvious answer is that Payne should not be allowed to play until Fulkerson does. That would make people think twice when intentionally injuring another player. If Fulkerson's career is over, so ends Payme's as well.

What do you want me to say? Payne was completely in the wrong and I think some sort of punishment is warranted. I'm just not sure what it ought to be and when it should be. A suspension right at the start of the NCAA tournament? That seems to just aim to defeat the team for the action of one player. I don't think anyone contends that Payne meant to cause as serious an injury as he did. In fact, I imagine that those kind of elbow throws occur in the course of many NCAA games but this one stands out because of the magnitude of the injury.

Is that a factor in punishment? Of course. But you can't let it dictate the sanction. Otherwise you overreact to this one to the detriment of all the other times when the intent is the same but no one particularly notices or cares because no injury resulted.
No way in the world you believe this. Let me guess, criminal defense lawyer?

Our AD is very PR savvy. He could have given Parrish, Thamel, etc. some quotes to do a national story about how Payne gets to play but Fulky doesnt. That woulda increased the PR pressure for the SEC to do something.

The way it looks now is he's not sticking up for his team but helping his brother out...
Sadly, you are right. This is the only issue I had with the White AD hire. I never thought it would materialize, especially in this way and this quickly. However, as they say, blood is thicker than water. I hope Danny has been active with the SEC office, but we will know tomorrow by 12:07 if that has been the case.

Reactions: ArdentVol

C'mon man, now you're just trolling. There is absolutely no comparison between a flagrant 1 foul where a player attempts to block a shot and hits the guy in the head and an obvious intent-to-harm flagrant 2 double elbow to the face. That's just dumb.

So you're going to contend that a play on the ball that goes wrong is remotely equivalent to two intentional headshots with no intent to make a play on the ball? Just an unreal absence of logic from you.

Here Here Stop this nonsense. I say the first play of the Tenn vs Fla game Football (2021) We turn loose the most athletic non starter on defense on the first Fla offensive set and let him EARHOLE the QB and call it even!!!!!!!!

C'mon man, now you're just trolling. There is absolutely no comparison between a flagrant 1 foul where a player attempts to block a shot and hits the guy in the head and an obvious intent-to-harm flagrant 2 double elbow to the face. That's just dumb.
He’s gone too far with this. Time to ramp it up and contact Sankey and the national media. I can’t believe Gator boy keeps doing this. Let’s look at the facts and let the facts prevail.

I agree that what Bailey did and what Payne did were in the heat of battle. I would say both players intended to hurt the opposing player, that's why Bailey threw a swipe and Payne swung two elbows. Bailey's cheap shot isn't the same as Payne's. I would say the dividing line is injury.

If it had been one of our players, he would be out for the NCAA tourney. I can't believe a blatant elbow like that, 2 of them actually has been ignored by the higher ups. You can't get more intentional. Good grief Carlos Groves just grabbed Shaq and pulled him down and they kept the heat on the forever. The only reason Groves didn't get worse is because they would have had to punish Dale Brown who went out with his fist clutched to hit Groves then tried to say he was breaking it up. Kinda reminded me of Dan Mullen this year punking out looking like part of the mob then saying he was trying to break it up. Total BS, Mullen is a punk. GBO!!!!

Comparing anything to what Payne did is simply ludicrous. You went from looking biased, to looking stupid, to looking outrageously crazy. You are nuts, pal. Thanks for fanning the flames. You think you’re being coy, but this will motivate us to make sure proper action is taken.

I know that all responding to this understand completely what happened. For many who played the game know that in fact elbows do happen all the time. BUT...not at the temple/head area with the viciousness of the assault...CLEARLY it was intent with malice. Now IDK how anyone could argue otherwise. It's similar to baseball. You can and should on occasion hit an opposing hitter. ANYONE with baseball knowledge (I know a lot don't follow baseball) knows EXACTLY how and where you hit that batter. NOW you hit him in the head/neck/face area?....its a whole different realm than just plunking him in the leg/hip/backside. And even now hitting in the hand area is frowned upon. I sure don't want to ruin a kids career BUT CLEARLY SOMETHING MORE NEEDS TO BE DONE. If Payne was "just trying to send a message" that the Gators are going to play physical...then he completely didnt understand how you do that....Saying its basketball and elbows happen to dismiss this incident is disingenuous at best. And I think even a novice sports fan understands that. But moving forward I seriously doubt the SEC or Florida will do anything about it.

Do enough research and you might find some answers. You’re like the guy who says, “link or it didn’t happen.” I really could care less whether you believe it or not.
Man, I know you're sensitive right now because there's some people arguing with you in this thread but I'm not one of them. I legitimately had a question that you stated you knew the "facts" to. What the heck do I even "Google" for this one? "AD cries to Conference Leaders about a basketball player roughing up his basketball player"?

I'm not "the guy" for anything around here. I don't post enough for that. I could search my entire history and never once asked for proof. Grow the freak up and stop sitting down on a plunger handle whenever you get questioned.

Reactions: VonVol2
Man, I know you're sensitive right now because there's some people arguing with you in this thread but I'm not one of them. I legitimately had a question that you stated you knew the "facts" to. What the heck do I even "Google" for this one? "AD cries to Conference Leaders about a basketball player roughing up his basketball player"?

I'm not "the guy" for anything around here. I don't post enough for that. I could search my entire history and never once asked for proof. Grow the freak up and stop sitting down on a plunger handle whenever you get questioned.
Mature response. I’m 63, and I appreciate the advice. No one besides you is giving me grief, except the fact that I disagree with LawGator.

Impunity for Payne in this case sends the message that any game can end in a potential brawl provided all participants recite an apology afterward.

Suspend him one game more than Fulk misses. It’s a no-brainer. Be just. Be sane.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Mature response. I’m 63, and I appreciate the advice. No one besides you is giving me grief, except the fact that I disagree with LawGator.
Congrats on knowing your age, I'm very proud of you. And I also want to say thank you for how well you received my advice as well as your compliment of my maturity.

I wasn't giving you any grief. I was asking for information. Again, you seem super sensitive today and obviously can't read tone on a message board so I get why you're responding the way you are. I am sorry if you're having a bad day. Life can be tough at that age physically I am sure. I'd still love to see one example of the "facts" you obviously know from your 63 years on this earth. I'm not saying there are none, I am just curious what you're referencing to form your opinion and holding your ground so firmly on.

You said it in your first sentence -INTENT

Payne's intent was to injure Fulky.

If I lose control of my vehicle and hit someone, I receive a far lighter punishment than if I hit the gas and intentionally run them over. (Law terms just for you)
LOL! I got hit by a guy in a car and knocked me into a yard over 12 ft away. He did this intentionally. I got up and called the police and had the guy arrested. I met the DA of Knoxville and was told that they were going to lock him up. He walked. I told the DA and the guys dad what I was going to do to him the next time that I saw him. Long story short, he moved to Florida two days later!

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

I'm sure there have been, but in my lifetime there's not been one like that. Be careful????

Tell you what, there have been times when the UT athletic department was tight enough across sports, that I would already know one of your teams was going to lose a player to a future on the field/court incident with UT. That's probably not true now, but Kiner or Reynolds would have sent one of your football players to an orthopedic hospital and not thought twice about it. Additionally, if my son or daughter were involved in an incident like this I'd have a legal team milking it for all it was worth: painting your players and University in the most damning light possible even when I know UT would be begging me not to. So while we're being careful, you be thankful that your punk, piece of crap player hit someone with the grace that Fulky has and not a vindictive SOB like me. I'd enjoy dropping the $$ to burn your sorry butts to the ground. :cool:

Reactions: orangealways

Omar Payne got a flagrant 2 and an immediate ejection because he targeted an opposing player's head with intent to cause grievous injury. In the heat of the moment, whether he had a direct thought of it or not, he took an action that could have ended Fulkerson's life. That's not an exaggeration at all -- a friend of mine lost a relative to a similar attack during a bar fight which he did not provoke.

Clearly Florida doesn't think they need to take the time to instruct Payne to control his emotions to prevent him from seeking to cause grievous harm to an opponent. If he had any basketball justification for the play that interpretation would not be valid, but because he sought to cause injury and took the action again when he had no evidence of having caused injury, his intent was clear.

I hate to agree with a gator but you are spot on. Elbows happen in basketball all the time, evidently that is not common knowledge to folks who have never played the game. Was it a cheap shot yes, but he was ejected from the game. He didn’t mean to hurt Fulkerson, and has already apologized. Some people just can’t let it go.

:rolleyes: Clearly hasn't played (or even watched) much ball if you think that ish happens all the time.

VN Store

Back