Why dont fans support this program no matter how bad the times get?

Why do so many fans have to be fair weather fans and only support a program when they are winning? I think if you are a VFL you will support this team and program no matter how many games they win.
Where is this 'fair weather' you are talking about? If someone is on this board and has been on this board for the past 15 years, how the heck can you call them 'fair weather' fans?

You do know that in order to be a 'fair weather' fan, a basic requirement is fair weather....which I have not seen in some time.

Every program in the country except 4 or 5 a year can say the same thing. Crying, moaning and groaning like 5th graders about it is what separates the Vol fanbase from the rest.
I tell you what hasn't worked in awhile, ever since the advent of the internet our NegaVol attitude of always attacking coaches and players is not working! Social media has fractured our fanbase and all the NegaVols negativity has accomplished absolutely squat. Go back and watch some of Saban's early press conferences at Bama when he basically told the negative faction of their fanbase to go to he!!, that the team simply didn't need them around to be successful. I think it's long past time for our AD, head coach, administration and VFL fans to tell the NegaVols to move on, their way of moaning, groaning and acting like 5th grade children is doing absolutely nothing to help the program. It worked at Bama, it worked in the movie Hoosiers during the team introductions to the school and I think it's time we try it. Go find a new hobby NegaVols.
What do you mean we? You haven't posted anything positive once on here, you're one of the main players for the NegaVol squad. Hard to believe you're a fan when you have nothing but negativity to give. Must be miserable being that miserable all of the time.
It certainly started the process. The NegaVols ran off every single prominent VFL other than Peyton and Condredge from the athletic department and the hiring of dipsticks without ties to the University ripped our football program apart, so yes, the complaining the NegaVols did 12 years ago played a role.

giphy.gif

Tennessee fans are extremely loyal. The problem is that we are the fans of one of the most successful college football fans in history and there is simply no good excuse for the crap that we have seen over the last decade plus. We have the stadium, tradition, money to compete year in and out for championships. We know we won't win every game and are ok with this reality, but when we see garbage on the field over and over we know it is essentially a bunch of self centered creeps that make way too much money making decisions behind the scenes by either incompetence or selfishness it pisses us off. As David Keith said "Tennessee football is the most important unimportant thing there is". There is no excuse to be this bad for this long.
Michigan, Penn St, Nebraska and Texas would all like for you to simply fix them too.

It certainly started the process. The NegaVols ran off every single prominent VFL other than Peyton and Condredge from the athletic department and the hiring of dipsticks without ties to the University ripped our football program apart, so yes, the complaining the NegaVols did 12 years ago played a role.
You. Are. Delusional. Don't break anything getting off of your high horse

Depends on if you were one of the ones doing the same complaining every day 12 years ago that got us into this situation. The NegaVols all claimed that all we had to do was get rid of Fulmer and move on that it would be easy to get a great coach here. How well did that work then, about the same way all the moaning and groaning is doing now I'd say.

Fulmer did it to himself by losing too much. Mike Hamilton made poor hires for the football program. Make a good hire & that will increase the chances of success. This really is not that hard. I don't want Pruitt to lose but the criticism he is receiving this year is warranted. We should be seeing a better product on the field.

What part of that is delusional? My guess is that you don't have a clue what Tn football or the program was like 12 years ago when you were 3.
And that old nugget... You coach worshipers/apologists have the same tired lines. Maybe you should have a group meeting and come up with some different things to say

Reactions: whodeycin85
So how many of the Vol fans have jumped jump ship and rooted for a different team over the Vols?
Give us a list of the VN members who have done this. Claiming one is going to stop rooting for the Vols does not count because it is unlikely they are going to do so.
I take people at their word.

Fella starts a thread asking who everyone is going to root for now, and he declines to change it to blue font because he's serious, I'm going to take him at his word that he's actually in the market for a new team to follow.

Other folks in the same thread who talk about the teams they're backing now--college football teams, not talking about switching to hockey or basketball--I'm going to take them at their word, too.

On top of the folks here* who have admitted shifting loyalties, I've got one extended family member (child of a cousin; guess that makes her a 2nd cousin or a 1st cousin once removed, or whatever that is) who announced she's "changing teams". She's young, though, hoping she gains character and a stronger value set (like loyalty and perseverance) as she matures into adulthood.

So, yeah. Fair-weather Vols fans do exist.

* idk if they're still here. But they were here at the time that thread ran its course. Maybe they're gone now, to ohiostaterules.com or clemsontigersaredashiz.net.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? UT has the most loyal fanbase in college football. 90k plus still pack the stadium after 12 years of suck, you see people wearing swag all over the world and the most telling sign of how great this fanbase is is that we still care. We still care after the administration has shown they DGAF about championship level football, we still care even though there is no sign of hope for better days, we still care even though we KNOW a POS Gump will still be driving our beloved football program off the cliff next season.

GTF out of here with this "fair weather fan" bull! Few fan bases remain as loyal and caring as ours after over a decade of being fed crap.
Amen brother

Fulmer did it to himself by losing too much. Mike Hamilton made poor hires for the football program. Make a good hire & that will increase the chances of success. This really is not that hard. I don't want Pruitt to lose but the criticism he is receiving this year is warranted. We should be seeing a better product on the field.

According to @PulaskiVolFan , hiring a competent head coach would be a "simple fix" and we shouldn't expect simple fixes because the likes of Michigan and Nebraska suck right now too.

Nope. You're WRONG! That one post you made in 08 started this whole thing. Thanks for ruining the program.

Why do so many fans have to be fair weather fans and only support a program when they are winning? I think if you are a VFL you will support this team and program no matter how many games they win.
Anyone who identifies as Tennessee fan after the last decade can by no stretch of the imagination be lableled fairweather. There are two camps of Vols,
the NegaVols and the OptiVols. I think you are mistaking the NegaVols for fairweather.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I take people at their word.

Fella starts a thread asking who everyone is going to root for now, and he declines to change it to blue font because he's serious, I'm going to take him at his word that he's actually in the market for a new team to follow.

Other folks in the same thread who talk about the teams they're backing now--college football teams, not talking about switching to hockey or basketball--I'm going to take them at their word, too.

On top of the folks here who have admitted shifting loyalties, I've got one distant family member (child of a cousin; guess that makes them a 2nd cousin or a 1st cousin once removed, or whatever that is) who announced she's "changing teams". She's young, though, hoping she gains character and a stronger value set (like loyalty and perseverance) as she matures into adulthood.

So, yeah. Fair-weather Vols fans do exist.
Give us a list. I think most VN members are just frustrated and sounding off. Very few are actually going to quit being a fan. As others have stated here, if you were not forever a Vol fan why would you stick around when about 18 of the last 20 years have been subpar.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

You mean like still going to games, still watching every single week regardless, still buying all the Vols gear, and still cheering and hoping.........even though the team sucks and the program has been terrible for well over a decade?

Those fans?

I have a question for you.

Why do “some” fans do the same things as me and many other fans......yet they DO NOT question authority and they do not express the truth in what is going on? They simply accept ANYTHING which it put in front of them..........no matter how bad things get?

Fans do NOT have to think exactly like you. Everyone is allowed to be different. We are allowed to NOT accept and to be vocal in our displeasure in how things are going.

Heck if some don’t like that they should probably move to China or something.....then everyone could be forced to have similar opinions or at least share similar opinions.

Agree Pruitt is the guy just give it time.

Give us a list. I think most VN members are just frustrated and sounding off. Very few are actually going to quit being a fan. As others have stated here, if you were not forever a Vol fan why would you stick around when about 18 of the last 20 years have been subpar.
Go get your own damn list, lazy. You have just as much access to the threads on this forum as I do.

p.s. Don't over-exaggerate the Dark Ages. It's 12 years, not 20. We had some very (very) good seasons between 2000 and 2007.

WTF are you talking about? UT has the most loyal fanbase in college football. 90k plus still pack the stadium after 12 years of suck, you see people wearing swag all over the world and the most telling sign of how great this fanbase is is that we still care. We still care after the administration has shown they DGAF about championship level football, we still care even though there is no sign of hope for better days, we still care even though we KNOW a POS Gump will still be driving our beloved football program off the cliff next season.

GTF out of here with this "fair weather fan" bull! Few fan bases remain as loyal and caring as ours after over a decade of being fed crap.
Well said.....

And that old nugget... You coach worshipers/apologists have the same tired lines. Maybe you should have a group meeting and come up with some different things to say
Maybe you should come up with a quality take of our football program to debate rather than the same old simple 5th grade thoughts many of us had decades ago when we were in the 5th grade.

Reactions: jwilliams
According to @PulaskiVolFan , hiring a competent head coach would be a "simple fix" and we shouldn't expect simple fixes because the likes of Michigan and Nebraska suck right now too.

Right

I don’t care about the successes or failures of other historically great programs only UT. I am not sure what will ultimately happen with Michigan or Nebraska but at least they hired proven winners. The only requirement to be a HC at UT is being able to fog a mirror.

Reactions: sjt18

Maybe you should come up with a quality take of our football program to debate rather than the same old simple 5th grade thoughts many of us had decades ago when we were in the 5th grade.
Quality take... That's fresh coming from the sh*t you've been posting 😂

VN Store

Back