Why don't DII coaches get more opportunities at the next level?

jasonvols2.2

Bo Ryan and Bruce Pearl has proven that it can be done. Ben McCollum from Southeast Missouri has been dominate at that level. Is there any difference than a coach that wins a title at that level vs a mid major coach who gets lucky and gets to the Elite 8.(Archie Miller)?

Bo Ryan and Bruce Pearl has proven that it can be done. Ben McCollum from Southeast Missouri has been dominate at that level. Is there any difference than a coach that wins a title at that level vs a mid major coach who gets lucky and gets to the Elite 8.(Archie Miller)?

I fully agree with you, if it’s a low mid-major/mid major D1 program they’re jumping to. Both Ryan and Pearl made the jump and had success at lower level D1 (UWM) before getting the P5 job. Ken Anderson - Missouri is one example why the jump to P5 may be too big.

If I’m one of the schools in the MVC and I have a head job opening up, Ben McCollum is the first guy I call. I never understood why football programs don’t do this too, especially if you’re historically not good. Take a gamble and hire a guy a little outside the box.

In all sports once a coach gets “labeled”
In a certain level it’s hard to move up. It’s not fair in many cases but I assume the biggest reason is recruiting is very different

Reactions: Toujours Pret
I also think some like being a "big fish in a little pond" or staying in their lane. Some guys are happy at that level and love what they do.

I fully agree with you, if it’s a low mid-major/mid major D1 program they’re jumping to. Both Ryan and Pearl made the jump and had success at lower level D1 (UWM) before getting the P5 job. Ken Anderson - Missouri is one example why the jump to P5 may be too big.

If I’m one of the schools in the MVC and I have a head job opening up, Ben McCollum is the first guy I call. I never understood why football programs don’t do this too, especially if you’re historically not good. Take a gamble and hire a guy a little outside the box.
I believe many lower division coaches probably would do better than D1 coaches. Getting a D1 job has more to do with networking than actual coaching ability IMO.

There was once a D-III coach that jumped to D-1 and was .500 against the winningest coach in college basketball that was coaching at the winningest program in the NCAA.

M. Cronin, UCLA’s b-ball coach started at Murray State (not a D-II program, but a pretty low level start). I think there are more of these kinds of hires than many realize.

Yep, I agree. I am an alumnus of Murray State. Nevertheless, it is still considered a low level D-I program (OVC program).

Yep, I agree. I am an alumnus of Murray State. Nevertheless, it is still considered a low level D-I program (OVC program).

I’d say it’s more in the tier that is at the top of the mid major list. It’s a place like Belmont that while they both are in the same league they could and have gotten an at large bid. Most OVC programs can’t imagine that kind of hierarchy

Reactions: tbwhhs
Scott Davenport was so good his team became D1. But he won’t be getting hired anywhere else I would guess

They get their opportunities

D2 to Mid Major to Power 5

Don’t kid yourself.

There are hundreds of D2 schools, a hundred mid majors, and dozens of Power 5.

Coaches then have to decide about family and community life balance. Etc.

It exists though. Maybe just not D2 to P5

The difference is in risk of other factors

Can you handle the increased spotlight?
Can you manage and direct increased staff (typically have to be a better delegator)
Do you know how to manage having unlimited resources at your finger tips?
Can you recruit?

That’s why many schools like to see proof in the pudding first

The difference is in risk of other factors

Can you handle the increased spotlight?
Can you manage and direct increased staff (typically have to be a better delegator)
Do you know how to manage having unlimited resources at your finger tips?
Can you recruit?

That’s why many schools like to see proof in the pudding first

Is it really any different than a mid-major coach? You really don't know if they can handle it until they take the job, and have been there a few years.

If we had hires Bruce in 01 out od Southern Indiana, would that have made him a worse coach? No.

Either you can coach or recruit at a major school, or you cannot. Every hire is a gamble, and there is a bigger chance that you will eventually get fired, than have success.

But overlooking DII guys is really doing your program a disservice.

VN Store

Back