Why did we catch fire in the last seven minutes???

Hate to be downer Dan, but...

‪After thinking about it, the 0-471 stat from ESPN is misleading and skewed in our favor. It means absolutely nothing. How many teams have not been able to overcome a 13 point deficit? 14 points or more is a completely different feat because that is two full touch downs or more 🤣

Reactions: Samthebam
My guy get some rest. The stat is simple. No team this season has comeback to win a single game while trailing by at least 13 points with 5 minutes remaining to play. That lead could have been 13 or 53.

The stat simply shows that the Vols coming back 13 down with 5 minutes to play was the largest deficit a team overcame to win with 5 minutes remaining in a game this season.

Only difficult if you overthink it or haven't had a good night's rest.

Go Vols

It’s comments like these that crack me up. Stats are supposed to tell a story. That stat is crap. Your summation of the story that stat was intended to tell is NOT what the stat implies. Not even close. That stat encompasses the entire history of bowl games, not just this season 🤣🤣🤣

Do you know how much the odds would shift trying to come back and win a game from less than two touchdowns as opposed to two TDs or more? There would be a substantial shift. That is the point of my post and it is quite valid.

Maybe it’s you that needs sleep? I have had plenty of sleep on my five days off and while most of Volnation was drunk last night, I was not 🤓
Get drunk with the rest of us and go to work hung over like a true VOL fan pansy!

Reactions: keithpowers
It’s comments like these that crack me up. Stats are supposed to tell a story. That stat is crap. Your summation of the story that stat was intended to tell is NOT what the stat implies. Not even close. That stat encompasses the entire history of bowl games, not just this season 🤣🤣🤣

Do you know how much the odds would shift trying to come back and win a game from less than two touchdowns as opposed to two TDs or more? There would be a substantial shift. That is the point of my post and it is quite valid.

Maybe it’s you that needs sleep? I have had plenty of sleep on my five days off and while most of Volnation was drunk last night, I was not 🤓

Nerd

JG finally started taking what the defense gave him.
Indiana’s defense started giving him easy throws/check downs and, to everyone’s surprise and astonishment, he actually completed a couple passes to a wide open Eric Gray standing lonely about 7 yards in front of him. And then we were finally able to run the ball, and then Pruitt made a gutsy, amazing call with the on-sides kick that the kids executed perfectly. We also got a 15-yard face mask penalty in Indiana that helped us as well.

It was a helluva lot more than what Guarantano did. If we’d have had Indiana’s QB last night rather than Guarantano (his QBR was 15.5 out of 100), we’d have won by 3-4 touchdowns imo. The rest of the team was able to overcome the deep hole that he single handedly put them in. Says a lot about the character and culture of the program.

Last edited:
We moved the ball up and down the field in the first half, and had trouble inside the 15 scoring touchdowns. In the 3rd quarter JG missed throws often having open receivers but trying to go further downfield. He missed a wide open chandler at the pylon in the first half when he tried to hit woods-Anderson in the back of the endzone. He missed a ton a checkdowns throughout the game because he locked on to 1 receiver. Thank goodness he settled down at the end, we had to much speed for them not to score and eventually we did. The O-line opened up some good running lanes especially late in the game but in the first half at times also. Overall we moved the ball and shot ourselves in the foot much of the night. Indiana is good but we hung tough and fought to the end and that is why we won. Not going to say anything about the qb situation except it has to get better and everyone needs to understand that. I love our coaches, and JG is a tough competitor but that position will have to be earned by whomever wins it in the spring and the play from that position must improve and become more consistent. GBO!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samthebam
Indiana is bad, they made a really bad choice going into a prevent with 5 minutes left, a timely penalty and great special teams play.

I agree that the prevent or soft coverage really helped JG get his confidence. Not sure I can blame the Ind coaches cause up to that point, JG hadnt shown he could hit the broadside of a barn. NTL, I think all of the above played in the comeback.

I agree that the prevent or soft coverage really helped JG get his confidence. Not sure I can blame the Ind coaches cause up to that point, JG hadnt shown he could hit the broadside of a barn. NTL, I think all of the above played in the comeback.
Literally UI played the same defense the entire game, man coverage with 2 deep safties.

Literally UI played the same defense the entire game, man coverage with 2 deep safties.

Their coverage was much tighter thru 3 qtrs in the game. Doubled JJ on his first play. Then with 6 minutes suddenly things opened up. They may have lined up the same but the coverage was much softer.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Their coverage was much tighter thru 3 qtrs in the game. Doubled JJ on his first play. Then with 6 minutes suddenly things opened up. They may have lined up the same but the coverage was much softer.
The way cover 2 works al most every down field route is going to be doubled. The reason things suddenly opened up was we started throwing to the underneath routes. Still threw down field some and those routes were doubled and resulted in incompletes. The completion to Jennings was one good one, he was covered but the ball was delivered on time. Same play as the int.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
What he did was throw the ball before the receivers got to their spot and waited for the balle. A four year QB you would think he would figure that out by now. We should have 21 points in the first half. Watching the replay, twice our receivers made the cut and and the ball was still in his hand. I do not think he is the answer for us to reach the next level as he simply can't throw in the orange zone into a tight window. I am so excited to see what Coach Pruitt is doing and looking forward to the fall.

I agree, he is not the answer for next yr, although he'll make a great backup. Think Frank Reich in his NFL career.
A bright spot in the game is that we pretty well won it with players who will be with us next yr. This was not a senior dominated win. It's almost like CJP wanted this as a transition towards 2020.

***Entering this matchup, FBS teams were 0-471 when trailing by at least 13 points in the final 5 minutes of the 4th quarter this season.

This is copied and pasted straight from the ESPN tweet. Where are you getting bowl history and not this season as a whole?

I understand the larger the lead the more less likely to overcome it is. That's exactly why I specified this in my response and pointed out it just means this was simply the largest deficit overcame to win with 5 minutes remaining THIS SEASON.

Please show me where this stat encompasses the entire history of bowls. If I missed it I have no issue admitting I'm wrong. I also take no joy from proving you wrong either. Just show me please where you are getting the entire history of bowl games.

Thanks

***Entering this matchup, FBS teams were 0-471 when trailing by at least 13 points in the final 5 minutes of the 4th quarter this season.

This is copied and pasted straight from the ESPN tweet. Where are you getting bowl history and not this season as a whole?

I understand the larger the lead the more less likely to overcome it is. That's exactly why I specified this in my response and pointed out it just means this was simply the largest deficit overcame to win with 5 minutes remaining THIS SEASON.

Please show me where this stat encompasses the entire history of bowls. If I missed it I have no issue admitting I'm wrong. I also take no joy from proving you wrong either. Just show me please where you are getting the entire history of bowl games.

Thanks

I stand corrected on a completely different point. I didn’t think there were 471 football games this season that had that scenario, so I misread.

Still, my point remains. Any game 14 points or more is a completely difference scenario and has completely different odds.

I stand corrected on a completely different point. I didn’t think there were 471 football games this season that had that scenario, so I misread.

Still, my point remains. Any game 14 points or more is a completely difference scenario and has completely different odds.

Except your point doesn't remain. There is nothing misleading about that stat.

VN Store

Back