Why Can’t Holly Be Pat

teacherdean

I personally do not want Holly to be Pat, though I truly miss Pat, the only thing I want her to do is keep the Lady Vol program as one of the best women’s basketball programs in the country. There will never be another Pat Summitt, we must all move on from that dream. We recruit 5 stars, and though I realize that not all 5 stars are going to be super stars, however, these are the same 5 stars that are recruited by other top programs. We have the facilities and the talent and really should not be concerned about making the NCAA’s or worried about doing well in the SEC tournament. I believe the pieces are there, we just need someone to put it all together.

No one can ever be Pat and we know this. I think we just want a compotent coach who can get us a quality basketball team with these 5 star recruits. I don’t think it could get much worse. We could have the number one recruiting class year after year, but as long as we have no one to put the pieces together it won’t matter.

Reactions: teacherdean
Holly is clueless. Her entire time as head coach. She answers questions like umm hmmm uhhhh. She just looks for answers. She doesnt have them. And if Mickey Dearstone ask a question she never answers of her own. She will always go where he leads her and say thats exactly right Mickey. A great coach if asked about a teams issue will be able to answer directly as while they may not have the answer at the moment their reply gives you courage they will do everything in their power to pinpoint and conquer. Holly just seems to be guessing and she usually guesses wrong.

Last edited:
Holly is clueless. Her entire time as head coach. She answers questions like umm hmmm uhhhh. She just looks for answers. She doesnt have them. And if Mickey Dearstone ask a question she never answers of her own. She will always go where he leads her and say thats exactly right Mickey. A great coach if asked about a teams issue will be able to answer directly as while theys may not have the answe at the moment their reply gives you courage they will do everything in their power to pinpoint and conquer. Holly just seems to be guessing and she usually guesses wrong.
When Mickey is the smart one, you have problems.

There is a difference between a coach who is liked vs. a coach that is respected...........guess which one Pat was?
Pat Summitt was both loved and respected by her players. When Kara Lawson even says Pat's name you can clearly hear that in her voice.

Reactions: teacherdean
Pat Summitt was both loved and respected by her players. When Kara Lawson even says Pat's name you can clearly hear that in her voice.

I don't think I could only respect someone without liking them, respect comes first, I can promise you, Pat was not always liked.

I personally do not want Holly to be Pat, though I truly miss Pat, the only thing I want her to do is keep the Lady Vol program as one of the best women’s basketball programs in the country. There will never be another Pat Summitt, we must all move on from that dream. We recruit 5 stars, and though I realize that not all 5 stars are going to be super stars, however, these are the same 5 stars that are recruited by other top programs. We have the facilities and the talent and really should not be concerned about making the NCAA’s or worried about doing well in the SEC tournament. I believe the pieces are there, we just need someone to put it all together.

We all moved on from that dream 3 years ago. Now the goal is to win the SEC, get in the tourney, get to the elite 8 and see what happens.

We all moved on from that dream 3 years ago. Now the goal is to win the SEC, get in the tourney, get to the elite 8 and see what happens.

Tennessee will not be winning the SEC anytime in the next 5 years. Even if they get a top notch coach, SC and MSST are in really nice position to continue to dominate the SEC.

why can't I be Superman?...cause I ain't...:D

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with most of the posters on here; Pat was a once in a lifetime coach. I almost feel bad for Holly for having to follow that...almost. Hopefully the Vols can get someone, if not at Coach Summitt's level, at least at a making the tourney every year and competing for a final 4 every now and then.

Could this be why we attract so many top recruits but we play careless, UNDISCIPLINED ball?

Hey, I am sure Holly has her methods, no one can actually explain her offense or defense, but I am sure she has a plan. All kidding aside, whatever Pat had to be successful, Holly doesn't have "it" maybe it was how Pat was raised vs. Holly, or it could be a number of isolated occurrences that made Pat who she was........all I know is, Holly is not a bad coach, she just isn't great and it's really anyone's guess as to why. Heck, I don't even know Holly's background...........has she always been at UT? if so, there is her problem, lack of exposure and maturity in other programs.........Pat coached before she arrived at UT.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
One last thing, it could be the players, maybe they were the best in high school, but can't hang in the big leagues...........its been known to happen, you can't coach desire.

One last thing, it could be the players, maybe they were the best in high school, but can't hang in the big leagues...........its been known to happen, you can't coach desire.

Hmmm but happening each year is more than a coincidence. That points to a lack of player development by the coaches. And if it’s that the players are just bad and unmotivated to improve, it again points to coaches for their inability to adequately assess the right players for their system.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Hmmm but happening each year is more than a coincidence. That points to a lack of player development by the coaches. And if it’s that the players are just bad and unmotivated to improve, it again points to coaches for their inability to adequately assess the right players for their system.
7 years of recruiting players who really don't have the competitor's edge.............it could happen..............doubt it, but it is probable

Holly has had way more time to prove her worth. If she wasn't Tennessee through and through and setting by Pat for decades, she'd been fired years ago. She doesn't have "it" and she isn't improving! Save our program AD.

Lets just say if Pat was coaching this team of Lady Vols now. They would probaly be in first place. Holly should not be in charge. Her place is beside the head coach like she was with Pat. Holly should be a asst. coach somewhere.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I don't think I could only respect someone without liking them, respect comes first, I can promise you, Pat was not always liked.
If you find a head coach worried about being liked by his players, that is a head coach who is in the wrong job. Holly is just too soft and I doubt if the players, in reality, really respect her.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
You know, I find it interesting. Somebody posted a clip of Pat with her 2007 National Championship team during halftime, in the Final Four (I believe). Pat talked in general terms about defense and rebounding, and being physical. The team bought into it, was yelling back at her, and was telling her stuff they saw that they needed to do. When it came to the assistant coaches giving advice, Holly stepped up and mentioned something specific about some type of zone defense. Everybody sorta of nodded and said, yes remember that. But it wasn't the stuff that would make someone knock somebody's block off. You could see it in Pat's face (as well as the players), they sorta gave a nod to Holly (out of sympathy or perhaps duty), but it was obvious that she was in no way "coach" of the team. Of course I can't say (I really have no idea and will admit to such), but maybe it's that fire that's missing. When Pat said something, they yelled back, "YES!" When Holly offered advice, they simply shrugged and said, "yeah." I can't say it's fair, but you could sorta see, that some folks have it (that ability to get every last ounce of someone) and unfortunately some don't.

If you find a head coach worried about being liked by his players, that is a head coach who is in the wrong job. Holly is just too soft and I doubt if the players, in reality, really respect her.

That is all I am saying..........Holly depends too much on the relationship to produce results, players want to be coached.

VN Store

Back