Why are baseball sportsmanship rules so different than other sports?

I swear, you change this to Arkansas and Battles and instead of Tennessee/Gilbert everyone defending this now would be calling be calling him a punk ass who's an embarrassment to the game and deserves everything he gets.

Reactions: illvol
The real issue should be why is a player suspended for another game following an ejection for arguing with an umpire? Basketball players aren't suspended for being ejected following two technical fouls. Football players aren't suspended for being ejected following to unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

That is the part of this I take the most issue with. You aren't necessarily afforded any sort of official warning (Gilbert, apparently was innings earlier, in this case), and then being tossed automatically results in an immediate one-game suspension. That seems excessive.

Agee completely. If physical contact is involved, then a suspension is warranted. Otherwise, an ejection from the game should be sufficient punishment. A suspension for using choice words to argue balls and strikes is too much.

I only saw a few minutes of the early innings, but saw the last 3 innings. The strike zone was undefined in the umpires calls. I saw more than once the ND catcher catch the ball outside the strike zone and move the glove back over the plate, umpire called strike. I don't know if he was looking at where the catcher moved the mitt to, or if he just doesn't really know the strike zone, or worse, giving the pitcher a strike because he threw the ball where the catcher set up. The umpire has to have a defined strike zone and it has to be consistent with both teams. I understand Gilbert being disgusted with the strike call, but some things you just can't say to an umpire. Let's hope the team comes out more focused today, takes care of business in a dominate fashion, then finishes ND Sunday.

I swear, you change this to Arkansas and Battles and instead of Tennessee/Gilbert everyone defending this now would be calling be calling him a punk ass who's an embarrassment to the game and deserves everything he gets.

I wouldn’t. I think the rule as it stands is unfair to everyone, which is why I suggested alternative penalties in my original post. I think baseball needs to take a lesson from other sports, which IMO handle these kinds of situations better.

If Gilbert had been called out rather ejected, that still would have a negative consequence on the outcome of the game. If the “out” call also served as a warning that any future arguments about balls and strikes would lead to immediate ejection, then that probably would put a stop to the arguing. If not, at least they were warned first and also faced a negative consequence.

I wouldn’t. I think the rule as it stands is unfair to everyone, which is why I suggested alternative penalties in my original post. I think baseball needs to take a lesson from other sports, which IMO handle these kinds of situations better.

If Gilbert had been called out rather ejected, that still would have a negative consequence on the outcome of the game. If the “out” call also served as a warning that any future arguments about balls and strikes would lead to immediate ejection, then that probably would put a stop to the arguing. If not, at least they were warned first and also faced a negative consequence.
It's not like this rule is foreign to them. They've known their whole lives not act like that towards the ump, and I'm sure they've been or seen someone tossed for it before. It's not a surprise.

You can’t do what he did, you just can’t. They zoomed in and slow motioned on his mouth on the broadcast and the announcers were all on Gilbert’s side till they did, it looked like he said, “that’s ******* terrible”, and then said “F*** you” directly to the ump as he was turning away.

After the slow motion no one was on his side anymore, and they basically all agreed he needed to be tossed.

The ump put out a statement that Gilbert was spoken to several innings prior and warned for his actions and directed to only address his team or the fans.

Maybe he’ll learn from this. But, arguing balls and strikes in MLB is an automatic ejection now also.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He said, “That was a terrible F*** call” and when the ump told him to calm down, he said “F** you” followed by a string of other things about not calming down. He had been escalating over a few innings, and was warned between innings to tone it down or get tossed.

He didn’t say that. He said “that’s ****** terrible… ****** horrible.” As he was walking away from the ump. Ill-advised, yes, but he was right, and the ump needs to have thicker skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fullfillmer
He didn’t say that. He said “that’s ****** terrible… ****** horrible.” As he was walking away from the ump. I’ll-advised, yes, but he was right, and the ump needs to have thicker skin.
He was warned after his first AB when he was arguing in the top of the 2nd. You don't get to argue for 9 innings.

Reactions: JohnTN
He was warned after his first AB when he was arguing in the top of the 2nd. You don't get to argue for 9 innings.

Whether he was adequately warned or not, I’m just defending a guy from our own fans who keep saying he said “*** you” to the ump.

It's not like this rule is foreign to them. They've known their whole lives not act like that towards the ump, and I'm sure they've been or seen someone tossed for it before. It's not a surprise.

Again, my biggest problem with this is not the ejection, it’s the suspension. As far as I’m aware, an automatic one game suspension is only an NCAA rule. It‘s definitely not a rule in professional baseball, and at least when I was in high school (which has admittedly been a long time) it wasn’t a rule there either. Maybe it’s a rule in the youth summer leagues, I don’t know.

Reactions: cncchris33
Again, my biggest problem with this is not the ejection, it’s the suspension. As far as I’m aware, an automatic one game suspension is only an NCAA rule. It‘s definitely not a rule in professional baseball, and at least when I was in high school (which has admittedly been a long time) it wasn’t a rule there either. Maybe it’s a rule in the youth summer leagues, I don’t know.
It 100% is in high school. Now, in high school, it can be deemed after the post-game/ejection report that the violation was only bad enough to be for the remaining of the game, but it absolutely could hold a suspension. That's up to the state, not the umpires.

Reactions: DukeDaisySam
I love baseball....but it is pretty dumb when you break it down.

Brawls are fine; the other team does something to hurt your feelings so it's ok for your pitcher to bean the next batter. But start showing emotion and GASP *clutches pearls* do a bat flip and you're the worst person ever! And if you swing at a 3-0 pitch with the bases loaded and you're up a lot of runs, it's disrespectful.

Again, I love baseball but I also love everyone challenging the idiot gatekeepers and cupcake white knights of the game. All the "unwritten rules of baseball" can go pound sand.

Herein lies the problem - Drew was walking the other direction when he said whatever he said. It was a horrendous call - the pitch was both inside and low, and someone somewhere needs to let the ump know that. Next Umpires always feel or take the position - "they are trying to show me up" - my poor delicate ego can't take that. I am going to show everyone how tough I am and who is in charge and kick someone or everyone out of the game. Put a bully in that position and they claim people are trying to show them up - not "let me think through my decision making on my strike zone. "

Turns out Drew was right - we were not getting the corners when we were in the field and ND was the beneficiary of a greatly extended strike zone. Once the ejections happened - all 3 umpires appeared to have a bias against our team and coach and it showed. From checked swings to called strikes and balls. I felt it was a wildly one sided effort by the home plate umpire.

Notre Dame did a great job scouting our pitcher and practicing against his strengths, but the umpires seemed predisposed to keep Tony and Tennessee in check and not be "shown up". Unfortunately, umpires have the power to help or harm - and even major league games can swing on the whims of the ump calling balls and strikes.
Uhhh...that's a little disingenuous. His first comment came as he immediately turned in the box to face the ump and unleash his first expletive. His second came with his eyes locked on the umpire despite stepping away. The third came with his back to him, sure, but the tone was already set and the damage was done with his first two comments.

Uhhh...that's a little disingenuous. His first comment came as he immediately turned in the box to face the ump and unleash his first expletive. His second came with his eyes locked on the umpire despite stepping away. The third came with his back to him, sure, but the tone was already set and the damage was done with his first two comments.

Correct.

Reactions: cncchris33
There is a better slow-mo of his mouth, he definitely said “F*** you” as he walked away

He said, “That was a terrible F*** call” and when the ump told him to calm down, he said “F** you” followed by a string of other things about not calming down. He had been escalating over a few innings, and was warned between innings to tone it down or get tossed.
If that's what he said then he'd get tossed in any sport.

Baseball has many old and sometimes archaic rules. Like getting an inside pitch if you stop too long to watch a home run or take too long running the bases after the home run.

Or players who are friends grabbing each other and kind of dancing instead of actually fighting in some of these bench clearing brawls.

It’s a game of tradition as much as anything and one of those rules is you don’t argue balls and strikes.

As said earlier it is one thing to say something walking away and not starring the umpire down, but it is the next level to stare them down and cuss them.

I love the passion, but to be honest I’ve seen several examples of these arguments where I have been surprised that they weren’t ejected.

Baseball has many old and sometimes archaic rules. Like getting an inside pitch if you stop too long to watch a home run or take too long running the bases after the home run.

Or players who are friends grabbing each other and kind of dancing instead of actually fighting in some of these bench clearing brawls.

It’s a game of tradition as much as anything and one of those rules is you don’t argue balls and strikes.

As said earlier it is one thing to say something walking away and not starring the umpire down, but it is the next level to stare them down and cuss them.

I love the passion, but to be honest I’ve seen several examples of these arguments where I have been surprised that they weren’t ejected.

Which has led to the level of umpiring we have today and the sense of entitlement by them. So it's a tradition that needs to end. If you suck at your job, you should answer for it, not be protected.

I know it is for me (55+ yr old) one of the main reason for the big increase in attendance since CTV took over the program is the type of attitude that we play with. If that swag and attitude comes from TV then so be it. He and his teams, since he got here have been fun to watch, so much as I have never watched a college baseball of any kind until he became our coach. I have even ordered my 1st ever baseball hat to show my support.

You can't and shouldn't ask the team to change their personality, we are who we are, for better or worse. I think better!!!

Which has led to the level of umpiring we have today and the sense of entitlement by them. So it's a tradition that needs to end. If you suck at your job, you should answer for it, not be protected.

I agree, but what I think and what is done do not always correlate in the real world.

VN Store

Back