Why are baseball sportsmanship rules so different than other sports?

Doubtful.

Agreed. It's why MLB remains using wooden bats. The continuity of the game remains at it's heart. You can't compare modern players with those of yesteryear if you change the game too much. All the records that got guys in the HOF you don't want asterisks put by names showing before and/or after mechanized umpiring.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
Agreed. It's why MLB remains using wooden bats. The continuity of the game remains at it's heart. You can't compare modern players with those of yesteryear if you change the game too much. All the records that got guys in the HOF you don't want asterisks put by names showing before and/or after mechanized umpiring.

Spent 11 years umpiring HS baseball. 100% agree.

Drew was wrong.

You can "comment" on balls/strikes in an indirect way. I was fine w that. Dealt w many a player and coach/manager that way, let them get the frustration out. I wasnt perfect, i was human, too. I could tell you stories ;)

but I never let a player cuss me to my face in the middle of a game. That's a line. Drew knows he was wrong. He will learn from this.

Last edited:
Uhhh...that's a little disingenuous. His first comment came as he immediately turned in the box to face the ump and unleash his first expletive. His second came with his eyes locked on the umpire despite stepping away. The third came with his back to him, sure, but the tone was already set and the damage was done with his first two comments.
So are you an umpire, a social warrior, politically correct and woke - he wasn’t saying the umpire was an expletive - he was pointing out that the pitch was way out of the strike zone. He suddenly found himself having to cover a zone where his batting average would be on average 120 versus a zone where he hits 370. His success and even his future draft stock is tied to having an honest and fair strike zone.
I am sure major league umps get graded on their calling of strikes and balls - that guy’s performance needs to be graded for both accuracy and evenhandedness.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So are you an umpire, a social warrior, politically correct and woke - he wasn’t saying the umpire was an expletive - he was pointing out that the pitch was way out of the strike zone. He suddenly found himself having to cover a zone where his batting average would be on average 120 versus a zone where he hits 370. His success and even his future draft stock is tied to having an honest and fair strike zone.
I am sure major league umps get graded on their calling of strikes and balls - that guy’s performance needs to be graded for both accuracy and evenhandedness.
First off, cute opening statement. Addressing the inaccuracies of your poor attempt to dress down Gilbert's behavior is obviously a clear marker or my social warrior/pc/wokeness. 🥴

Second, you seem to have trouble separating the issue from the reaction. At no point did I say Drew's anger wasn't warranted, nor did I say the call was correct. In fact, I said exactly the opposite in other posts addressing the incident.
Those things can be true, and his reaction also be out of line. You obviously read my reply and wildly applied it to your entire post instead of the part that I bolded.

You're attempt to grossly downplay and/or justify his reaction only goes to further illustrate you're bias. Just be honest about what happened. The video is perfectly clear as to his reaction. He wasn't just walking away.

If your boss comes to you on Friday afternoon and says he needs you to work all day Saturday, you might not think it's fair, you probably will disagree with it, but you'd almost certainly not respond with a "What the f***??? That's f****** horrible!!!" reaction right to his face.

Reactions: illvol and WillisWG

VN Store

Back