Who's your top 3 overrated programs in college football

1) Texas A&M ..... They have spent an awful lot of money on coaches since Jackie Sherrill in 1982, with mostly mediocre results to show for it.

2) Iowa ..... Forget ever beating anybody with an average defense ... They can't even score.

3) Ole Miss .... They make noise once in a while .... but have still never made it to the SEC Championship Game.

Texas... 2 titles in 50 years..with all that Money and Talent it's laughable they are that bad.
A&M .... No titles in 50+ years with all that Money and Talent how do the Texas school squander so much?
Oregon people see them as a Blue Blood but No titles and all that money and Talent as well.

Notre Dame is in the Mix as well but they do have a lot of hardware even though it's been 30+ years since they won anything of value.

Till this year I'd say Michigan was top 3 but they finally won another title to at least live up to their reputation as the Program with the Most wins.
Oregon doesn't see themselves as "blue bloods" (programs with a lot of past success), Oregon sees themselves as the future, with a lot to prove. If they just keep getting better every year, the Ducks will be just fine. Blue bloods are about the past and history, the future is what's important.

They haven’t finished with fewer than 9 wins since 2016. They’ve won double digit games in six of the past seven seasons. They’ve also, with one notable exception, performed to or over performed their preseason ranking over that same span:

preseason NR
finished 11th

Preseason 12th
Finished 5th

Preseason 9th
Finished 12th

Preseason 10th
Finished 5th

preseason 9th
Finished 8th

preseason 5th
Finished 18th

preseason 13th
finished 14th
You accidentally left out their last national championship 🙄

Notre Dame (join a conference)
Penn State
USC (SoCal)/Texas (tie)

Dishonorable mentions:
Ohio State
Oregon (although I like Oregon, not won jack)
Oklahoma (haven't won anything since Stoops, yet they're still viewed as top tier)
Florida State

Ones who have won a recent NC in the last few years, but will be back on the list soon:
Michigan
Clemson

Any team that was in the Big10 west and notre dame.

Fully expect Tennessee or some sec school to get screwed out of the playoffs in the future by a 9-3 Notre Dame team.

110% agree......think Wittingham is a darn good coach and has done well with what he has. Agreed they've done well in a very down Pac12 past few years. But when it comes to playing with the big boys, SEC, etc they've been suspect. Lot of 4 and 5 loss seasons mixed in there.......just feel they're getting a favorable spot and haven't actually done anything to deserve it yet.View attachment 640742
To have done what he has done at Utah is kinda impressive. Him at a school like Penn State or Michigan would be interesting.. even scary.

They haven’t finished with fewer than 9 wins since 2016. They’ve won double digit games in six of the past seven seasons. They’ve also, with one notable exception, performed to or over performed their preseason ranking over that same span:

preseason NR
finished 11th

Preseason 12th
Finished 5th

Preseason 9th
Finished 12th

Preseason 10th
Finished 5th

preseason 9th
Finished 8th

preseason 5th
Finished 18th

preseason 13th
finished 14th
Facts have never entered the discussion on this forum. Or any other for that matter.

Texas A&M - Hasn't won a national championship since the 1930's.
Notre Dame - Despite the NCAA/Media bending over backwards trying to keep them relevant, they've blown every opportunity they've had in the last 35 years.
Penn State - Always a trendy preseason pick. Never any follow through.

And their schedule is a joke every year. They usually play 1 or 2 above average teams every year. I can still remember when they played all the academies every year. That was 3 autmatic wins.
How long ago was that? Didn’t they stop playing Army as an every-year-opponent in like 1947?

If you're talking throughout history, the program whose historical reputation/image is most out of whack with what they have actually achieved on the field is Michigan (yes, the last few years notwithstanding). Next are the 2 big Texas schools (Texas and Texas A&M), and you can argue about which is #2 and which is #3. Penn St is up there as well.

Notre Dame, as much as I don't like them, has done a lot over the last 10-12 years to shed the overrated label they deservedly had for a long time before that.

Also, anybody claiming that Ohio St or Oklahoma is overrated I think is conflating "I don't like them" with "overrated." I'm not sure either of those programs, at virtually any point in their history, has been overrated. Both of those schools have objectively been more successful on the field than their 2 biggest rivals (Michigan and Texas, respectively), who are overrated.

For everyone including Colorado, while yes I agree they are over-rated, I believe even more than that, they’re simply over-hyped…

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back