Who's looking for a home in Birmingham?

I live in the greater Birmingham area. I moved here voluntarily for work almost two decades ago. So obviously race wasn’t a deterrent or consideration. But the economy here has stagnated. There is no real growth and covid further solidified the stupor. So my advice to others isn’t racial it is economic. Unless you find a great job and plan to stick with it, great, come on down. If you are looking for a dynamic region with constantly changing opportunities, there are much better destinations
Thank you and 100% agree. There is a reason that Huntsville has taken over as the largest in Alabama and people in Birmingham can thank their Government and the fact it is so fragmented with 35 different municipalities in Jefferson County..................none of which work with each other for economic progress in the area.

Thank you and 100% agree. There is a reason that Huntsville has taken over as the largest in Alabama and people in Birmingham can thank their Government and the fact it is so fragmented with 35 different municipalities in Jefferson County..................none of which work with each other for economic progress in the area.
Huntsville with its Highly educated workforce has always embraced high tech and information technology. Birmingham things they can continue to live in the economic past and thrive on banking and financial services which bring in money but don’t create a lot of new jobs.

Huntsville with its Highly educated workforce has always embraced high tech and information technology. Birmingham things they can continue to live in the economic past and thrive on banking and financial services which bring in money but don’t create a lot of new jobs.
Well that and BRAC bringing so many DoD units here. Brought more Defense Contractors and has just been a domino effect.

Well that and BRAC bringing so many DoD units here. Brought more Defense Contractors and has just been a domino effect.
My one worry is that the space industry there is lagging far behind spacex. Boeing and ULA better get their act together. They are slow in production and are STILL resisting reusable launch vehicles.

My spouse and I are both retired, live in a rural area of Davidson Co with an adult disabled son. We now have a Republican congressman, Republican governor, legislature and Senators. We don't watch much local news since mostly negative. While the mayor and council whine they know voters don't want any more taxes due to inflation. I go near the downtown area for ballgames and some doctors, it's good to know your area of town and routes. The vast majority of people here just want to get along .

*snort*

Listen. Birmingham is a majority Black city. Whether or not it's done naively or purposefully now, people have spent decades talking **** about the city simply for that reason. It has nothing to do with a silly football rivalry.

So, again, whether it's intended to be or not, when you say things like that, it's racist.

Where I live in my neighborhood, I have the highest number of neighbors who are not white compared to other parts of the neighborhood. I routinely receive feedback to the effect of "loved the house, didn't care for the location in the neighborhood." For additional context, I live in what is arguably the most desirable neighborhood in the city at present.

I don't expect most of you to choose to understand this, but it is what it is.
Unreal.

See. Here it is. That thinly veiled racism.

Birmingham is a delightful city and we are sad to leave it.
Appears to be very delightful. I’m surprised people aren’t clamoring to move there
Birmingham

It is the largest city in Alabama with a population of 212,424 people. Considerably also the US's second most dangerous city in 2018. Dangerous because it had the largest number of murders with 88, and marked the highest total of homicides in 20years until 2017, 111 homicides.Jan 2, 2021

I’m still laughing that the OP acted high and mighty about living in “non white” city, and then is moving to freaking Knoxville, but we’re the racists for not wanting to buy her house.

VN Store

Back