Who's looking for a home in Birmingham?

*snort*

Listen. Birmingham is a majority Black city. Whether or not it's done naively or purposefully now, people have spent decades talking **** about the city simply for that reason. It has nothing to do with a silly football rivalry.

So, again, whether it's intended to be or not, when you say things like that, it's racist.

Where I live in my neighborhood, I have the highest number of neighbors who are not white compared to other parts of the neighborhood. I routinely receive feedback to the effect of "loved the house, didn't care for the location in the neighborhood." For additional context, I live in what is arguably the most desirable neighborhood in the city at present.

I don't expect most of you to choose to understand this, but it is what it is.
When they "say things" like what exactly? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't read anything remotely related to race, except from you. I don't think anyone in their right mind would live where I'm from in Kentucky, or Alaska, I could name a few more. I have reasons, but nothing to do with race. You automatically jumped to that, and still defend that stance, yet nobody but you is bringing race up. It's like your conditioned response to anything you disagree with, that's what it feels like reading, and from the looks, I doubt I'm the only person reading it that way. Not trying to argue, or bust your chops, but people have reasons for not wanting to live places.

So let's recap. We have a person leaving a self noted majority black city, and state, who noted their problems due to their "non white" neighbors, and their perceived problems with the value of the house due its location in a non white area, in what has to be the most textbook case of "urban" *wink wink* flight, and a good bit of gentrification thrown in, is targetting almost solely white buyers not afraid of their "non white" neighbors, while assuming that posters here have any intention of moving to and buying, anywhere, at all, yet alone some random Birmingham neighborhood most of them probably had no knowledge of whatsoever, is sitting on a high horse judging other for not immediately jumping in and making life changing decision just as a favor to them and their glowing personality on display here.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

*snort*

Listen. Birmingham is a majority Black city. Whether or not it's done naively or purposefully now, people have spent decades talking **** about the city simply for that reason. It has nothing to do with a silly football rivalry.

So, again, whether it's intended to be or not, when you say things like that, it's racist.

Where I live in my neighborhood, I have the highest number of neighbors who are not white compared to other parts of the neighborhood. I routinely receive feedback to the effect of "loved the house, didn't care for the location in the neighborhood." For additional context, I live in what is arguably the most desirable neighborhood in the city at present.

Wow…. You seem to be a delicate flower suffering from a traumatic case of white guilt. Hang in there, your white privilege will bring you a buyer in no time.

I live near a city (Memphis) that is very similar to Birmingham. The crime is way above national average, the public school test scores are some of the lowest in the country, the summer weather sucks, and the politicians are notoriously corrupt. Those are 4 good reasons not to live in a city.

Unlike Birmingam (the state of Alabama doesn't have a single Fortune 400 Company HQ'ed there), Memphis has several HQ'ed there. There's St. Jude, which employs thousands. No state income tax in Memphis, a NBA team, and the BBQ is better too....

I'm sure B'ham has its plusses too. I just haven't seen them in the numerous times I've been there (other than the downtown area being redeveloped)

I live near a city (Memphis) that is very similar to Birmingham. The crime is way above national average, the public school test scores are some of the lowest in the country, the summer weather sucks, and the politicians are notoriously corrupt. Those are 4 good reasons not to live in a city.

Unlike Birmingam (the state of Alabama doesn't have a single Fortune 400 Company HQ'ed there), Memphis has several HQ'ed there. There's St. Jude, which employs thousands. No state income tax in Memphis, a NBA team, and the BBQ is better too....

I'm sure B'ham has its plusses too. I just haven't seen them in the numerous times I've been there (other than the downtown area being redeveloped)

At least living in Birmingham cuts the drive to the beach in half.

Dear lord.

I know that not everyone has school aged kids and I’m sure there’s at least someone who didn’t want to buy the OP’s house because of its location and demographic, but for the average American with 2.5 kids, schools are a deal breaker. Me and my wife are kicking ourselves right now because we bought a house without looking at what school we are zoned for and now that we have a kid, it’s either move or pony up for private school.

Or maybe we’re just racist. Who knows.

I know that not everyone has school aged kids and I’m sure there’s at least someone who didn’t want to buy the OP’s house because of its location and demographic, but for the average American with 2.5 kids, schools are a deal breaker. Me and my wife are kicking ourselves right now because we bought a house without looking at what school we are zoned for and now that we have a kid, it’s either move or pony up for private school.

Birmingham had 132 murders in 2021 with 200K population (1 in 1,515 murdered)

Detroit had 309 murders with 639K population (1 in 2,068 murdered)

Memphis had 342 murders with 633K population (1 in 1,851 murdered)

Chicago had 836 murders with 2.746M population (1 in 3,285 murdered)

That was a big factor in our purchase last year. One of the main reasons why we didn’t buy in Clarksville

Last edited:
Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
*snort*

Well, as long as you've decided, I guess the case is closed...all who besmirch Birmingham are racist.

What a colossal load of crap.

When they "say things" like what exactly? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't read anything remotely related to race, except from you. I don't think anyone in their right mind would live where I'm from in Kentucky, or Alaska, I could name a few more. I have reasons, but nothing to do with race. You automatically jumped to that, and still defend that stance, yet nobody but you is bringing race up. It's like your conditioned response to anything you disagree with, that's what it feels like reading, and from the looks, I doubt I'm the only person reading it that way. Not trying to argue, or bust your chops, but people have reasons for not wanting to live places.
If only OP was selling a house in Vestavia Hills, we could crap on Bama without our kkk robes.

*snort*

*snort*

And I only quote for the one line, because it's the biggest head scratcher. You said "whether it's intended or not, it's racist". Sorry, been chewing on that, and it's just ignorant. You're just making yourself judge over innocent intentions, just because you don't like something? How's that different from me calling you a racist for saying "silly football"? The majority of players are black, and football is their dream, so calling it silly is racist. Whether you mean it that way or not, you're still racist because that's how I feel about it!

See how silly that sounds? I hate real racism, but comments like what you made, watching news telling me I'm racist for shooting fireworks,or eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc, that's what is getting old. That's also why you're getting the reactions you are. If you don't like a response, get over it, move on. Calling someone racist, when there was zero mention of it, just because you're offended is what needs to stop. Again, just completely confused as to how that's your first response because someone doesn't want to live where you do.

*snort*

Please explain how not wanting to live in your house meets the definition of racist? And why must you insist on everyone having the same desires or lack there of that you do? A home is a big investment and with it being a buyers market, you may not be priced right. People that "want" to live in B'ham know what the demographic is. I think you have racial issues yourself that you need to get over.

For the record, I wouldn't live in Nashville, Knoxville, Atlanta, Memphis, B'ham, Montgomery or any other large city with progressive politics, ****** infrastructure and no plans to fix any of it. That's not racism, that is trafficism and political incompatibility.

I think it’s that you’re racist

Reactions: joevol33
As someone who has been to Birmingham a couple of times, there is absolutely nothing appealing about it that I can't get anywhere else that is, on top of it all, infinitely more scenic. If I want breweries, BBQ, etc. I can go to anywhere in Appalachia where there's something to actually look at on top of it all. It's just not a great place.

To call it racism is stupid. You can't sell it because of your thinly veiled asshatery.

Reactions: hog88
So let's recap. We have a person leaving a self noted majority black city, and state, who noted their problems due to their "non white" neighbors, and their perceived problems with the value of the house due its location in a non white area, in what has to be the most textbook case of "urban" *wink wink* flight, and a good bit of gentrification thrown in, is targetting almost solely white buyers not afraid of their "non white" neighbors, while assuming that posters here have any intention of moving to and buying, anywhere, at all, yet alone some random Birmingham neighborhood most of them probably had no knowledge of whatsoever, is sitting on a high horse judging other for not immediately jumping in and making life changing decision just as a favor to them and their glowing personality on display here.
I live in the greater Birmingham area. I moved here voluntarily for work almost two decades ago. So obviously race wasn’t a deterrent or consideration. But the economy here has stagnated. There is no real growth and covid further solidified the stupor. So my advice to others isn’t racial it is economic. Unless you find a great job and plan to stick with it, great, come on down. If you are looking for a dynamic region with constantly changing opportunities, there are much better destinations

VN Store

Back