Who's looking for a home in Birmingham?

Aavoxx

Got my own theme music...
I know we have a handful of Birmingham Vol fans on the board, so I figured this was worth a shot.

My partner and I are relocating to Knoxville after she accepted a job at the university, and as such we need to unload our Birmingham home. We hit the market at the exact wrong time, and are struggling to sell for a variety of reasons.

If you or someone you know wants to buy a 1930s bungalow at the mouth of Crestwood North, give me a shout in this thread. Also accepting reasonable offers from real estate investors if any are lurking.

Is Birmingham THAT bad? Homes are flying off the market as soon as listed in Memphis....

The market isn't bad at all. It's a little less then bat shat crazy it was a month ago. You have big issues if it's struggling .

Is Birmingham THAT bad? Homes are flying off the market as soon as listed in Memphis....

The market is slowing everywhere. Interest rates.

We see it in Knoxville too, but Birmingham is shifting harder towards a buyers market than Knoxville. It's still a solid market in Birmingham, tho. We have encountered a lot of inexperienced buyers, people who want to live in a city without living in a city, and quite honestly some thinly veiled racism.

The Knoxville real estate market always seems to be a little hotter or more stable than other parts of the country. Even in 2008 when everyone was suffering, Knoxville didn't seem as impacted. I always assumed it was due to the number of government related jobs and the university.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
See. Here it is. That thinly veiled racism.

Birmingham is a delightful city and we are sad to leave it.

how is that racism? Nobody made a reference to anything remotely racist, but yet 2 of your 3 posts in your own thread you started, you made racist assumptions.

The housing market is crazy right now. If you’re having trouble selling your home, maybe its not the buyers that are the problem

how is that racism? Nobody made a reference to anything remotely racist, but yet 2 of your 3 posts in your own thread you started, you made racist assumptions.

The housing market is crazy right now. If you’re having trouble selling your home, maybe its not the buyers that are the problem

Please tell me what you know about Birmingham.

Please tell me what you know about Birmingham.

I've never seen a city with such a small population (200K) with 4 interstate highways (22, 59, 65, and 20) have such traffic issues on the interstate.

I make it thru Nashville area to/from games quicker than I make it through Birmingham to/from beach.

People across the street from me closed last week. I think they were sweating that their buyer was gonna have to bow out due to rate increase. Guess it all worked out cause they gone.

I've never seen a city with such a small population (200K) with 4 interstate highways (22, 59, 65, and 20) have such traffic issues on the interstate.

I make it thru Nashville area to/from games quicker than I make it through Birmingham to/from beach.

Traffic does kinda suck, but as a resident of both cities at one point or another, Birmingham is waaaaay better on average than Nashville.

See. Here it is. That thinly veiled racism.

Birmingham is a delightful city and we are sad to leave it.

No offense, but after this response I hope your home stays on the market for a long, long time. Totally obvious the poster was referring to a TN vs AL perspective vs anything racist. This is a TN board, you know.

If I were a little further into Crestwood it would be gone. It's priced to match that fact, but here we are.
My sister lived in Alabaster for about a decade. She would have given just about anything to be closer in but a tract house on the edge of nowhere was all they could afford. You’ll get a buyer sooner or later.

No offense, but after this response I hope your home stays on the market for a long, long time. Totally obvious the poster was referring to a TN vs AL perspective vs anything racist. This is a TN board, you know.

Bless your heart

*snort*

Listen. Birmingham is a majority Black city. Whether or not it's done naively or purposefully now, people have spent decades talking **** about the city simply for that reason. It has nothing to do with a silly football rivalry.

So, again, whether it's intended to be or not, when you say things like that, it's racist.

Where I live in my neighborhood, I have the highest number of neighbors who are not white compared to other parts of the neighborhood. I routinely receive feedback to the effect of "loved the house, didn't care for the location in the neighborhood." For additional context, I live in what is arguably the most desirable neighborhood in the city at present.

I don't expect most of you to choose to understand this, but it is what it is.

So let's recap. We have a person leaving a self noted majority black city, and state, who noted their problems due to their "non white" neighbors, and their perceived problems with the value of the house due its location in a non white area, in what has to be the most textbook case of "urban" *wink wink* flight, and a good bit of gentrification thrown in, is targetting almost solely white buyers not afraid of their "non white" neighbors, while assuming that posters here have any intention of moving to and buying, anywhere, at all, yet alone some random Birmingham neighborhood most of them probably had no knowledge of whatsoever, is sitting on a high horse judging other for not immediately jumping in and making life changing decision just as a favor to them and their glowing personality on display here.

When East Nashville was gentrifying, the most expensive homes were in the core around Five Points where the early adapter urban pioneers had already established an eclectic community. The people who wanted a deal had to look to the edge of the core where things were still gritty. As long as the gentrification continued, people on the edge could expect that their property would soon be part of the core and they would realize massive increase in value. If gentrification slowed down, people on the edge were stuck being the bulwark between the progressive paradise where hipsters who can somehow afford million dollar condos sip craft beer while plucking their vegan banjo strings and the preexisting low income community where desperate people do desperate things.

Reactions: Godfatha

VN Store

Back